News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Lothian's New Volvo B5TL/Wright

Started by winston, March 19, 2014, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiewii

Quote from: clayderman on June 25, 2014, 07:59:28 PM
Scrap whatever I had said... Let me rephrase. I think what I meant was that the Dundee Livery, is better than the WM in respect that, in my own personal opinion, (from pictures) that the livery suits their buses in the 'scenery'. Also, I guess the branding is better. (Example: Volvo B7 Dennis & Gnasher Branding for 28 & 29)

That branding has been discontinued in favor of the NXWM branding like on the 5/X5.

Liverpool Street

I don't get that offside staircase window thing going on. Borismaster style stair windows is acceptable, just, [And the Travel Livery pre-2007 would fit and suit nicely]
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on June 26, 2014, 10:43:45 AM
I don't get that offside staircase window thing going on. Borismaster style stair windows is acceptable, just, [And the Travel Livery pre-2007 would fit and suit nicely]

Apparently the 25 ordered by Lothian will have the said staircase feature. No T frame adverts on those then.

On wrightbus website I did see there own streetdeck bus with the Nbfl4 style staircase glazing vastly better looking than this load of shite , looks hopeless, no continuity in design looks half arsed IMO.

winston

Lothian's Gemini 3's also appear to have glass skylights in additional to some/all having the glass staircases:

http://malsfotofile.smugmug.com/HeyshamDocks/Heysham-Docks/27816939_rvssTn#!i=3625402213&k=gJ6MkZx&lb=1&s=A

Ex BC driver

The demonstrator is currently with First Manchester numbered 36300

Mike K

Ironic that the new Lothian B5s carry Birmingham registration plates, and most of the new buses here carry Scottish plates.

i had good look at wrightbus gemni 3 with the sky lights and staircase windows, one of the reasons wrightbus reduced the height of the upper windows was to cut down on green house effect and reduce weight these features fly in the face of that. strange thinking

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 2900 on December 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
i had good look at wrightbus gemni 3 with the sky lights and staircase windows, one of the reasons wrightbus reduced the height of the upper windows was to cut down on green house effect and reduce weight these features fly in the face of that. strange thinking

That's a bit backwards of Wright.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Squirrel

I suppose when the tax payer is paying for new buses, Lothian can afford to splash out on little extras like sky lights...

Bob

Do the taxpayers pay for them though?  Despite being publicly owned id imagine Lothian make a pretty healthy surplus

Tony

Quote from: Bob on December 19, 2014, 06:36:20 AM
Do the taxpayers pay for them though?  Despite being publicly owned id imagine Lothian make a pretty healthy surplus

All these people who think Lothian are god's gift to the bus industry should try googling the stories about their senior management and what is going on up there

don

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 09, 2014, 01:50:32 AM

That's a bit backwards of Wright.

I suspect it comes from the need to make their designs fit into a pattern dictated by their large customer TfL for economic reasons (getting the money back on the NBfL) - in turn that design was dictated by a politician noted for being a buffoon and a design studio noted for creating a clever Olympic flame which looked like the product of a Beatles era art student. Muddled thinking is thus almost inevitable. I think the sun gain excuse is simply an excuse to cover what appears to be a negative part of NBfL design - it's almost like they saw a picture of a mid 60s Atlantean/Fleetline body and copied the proportions!! (The artist - not Wrightbus - for whom I have the greatest respect).

I don't buy any of the reasoning, particularly as the car industry is doing the exact opposite - extending the glass in vehicles to cover half the roof.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

JoNi

This hyperlink to the Edinburgh Mail outlines the latest update on 8 grievances lodged against Lothian Buses Managing Director Ian Craig by fellow Directors who sought to have him dismissed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ixuYVPvnHs-y7QaZ4ICQDw&url=http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/ian-craig-froze-out-lothian-buses-directors-1-3640878&ved=0CCIQqQIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNHR1NdPzyLz4SuOWAHKebYh_K94wg&sig2=yFLS9EJC4fp37W1gO9ehqg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk