News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

VERY Late running services

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 27, 2015, 07:29:47 PM
9s were coming in trios and quartets earlier

There was a group of 4 WN59's in convoy about 15:40 on Lichfield Rd

fleetline6477

Quote from: Tony on February 24, 2015, 08:02:45 PM
Quote from: Gareth on February 24, 2015, 07:43:05 PM
Being the families resident bus fan, it's usually me who gets texts from my sister about her bus journeys.

Tonight after being approx 20mins late, her 58 then got held up for another approx 20minutes in heavy traffic around Digbeth. Obviously with rush hour traffic and roadworks, these things can happen, but it seems her driver then told everyone to get off and board the already crowded 58 that was due after him. It seems it was his time to finish, or driving hours were up/ something similar.
I'm waiting to hear from her where this happened. Do NX have a plan in place for if and when this happens? Are there spare drivers who could have maybe taken over at Adderley Street if a drivers hours are up due to late running?

Interested to hear your thoughts @Tony

Drivers hours are a legal requirement. In the evening peak do you really think NX could have several hundred drivers on standby just in case?. As I have posted in another thread almost every AG, BC(Garrison Lane around to Bristol Road), BY & YW bus was running up to an hour late. If a driver is close to the end of a 5h30min portion or an 8h30min straight through duty it is one of those unfortunate things that he has to stop driving at the next 'convenient point' he is allowed to exceed those limits due to unforseen circumstances included unusual traffic jams until that next 'convenient point' if that happens to be his home garage with another bus going to the same destination close behind then that has to happen.  If that driver would have carried on and had an accident both the driver himself and the company would be responsible.

Tony, can you please clarify my confusion. My understanding is that a driver can only drive for 5 h 30 mins without a break of at least 30 or 45 minutes. If this is the case how can a driver do a 8h 30 min straight through duty?

notepanel

Quote from: fleetline6477 on February 27, 2015, 08:18:10 PM
Being the families resident bus fan, it's usually me who gets texts from my sister about her bus journeys.

Tonight after being approx 20mins late, her 58 then got held up for another approx 20minutes in heavy traffic around Digbeth. Obviously with rush hour traffic and roadworks, these things can happen, but it seems her driver then told everyone to get off and board the already crowded 58 that was due after him. It seems it was his time to finish, or driving hours were up/ something similar.
I'm waiting to hear from her where this happened. Do NX have a plan in place for if and when this happens? Are there spare drivers who could have maybe taken over at Adderley Street if a drivers hours are up due to late running?

Drivers hours are a legal requirement. In the evening peak do you really think NX could have several hundred drivers on standby just in case?. As I have posted in another thread almost every AG, BC(Garrison Lane around to Bristol Road), BY & YW bus was running up to an hour late. If a driver is close to the end of a 5h30min portion or an 8h30min straight through duty it is one of those unfortunate things that he has to stop driving at the next 'convenient point' he is allowed to exceed those limits due to unforseen circumstances included unusual traffic jams until that next 'convenient point' if that happens to be his home garage with another bus going to the same destination close behind then that has to happen.  If that driver would have carried on and had an accident both the driver himself and the company would be responsible.

Tony, can you please clarify my confusion. My understanding is that a driver can only drive for 5 h 30 mins without a break of at least 30 or 45 minutes. If this is the case how can a driver do a 8h 30 min straight through duty?

There are two ways the break can be worked out with Domestic Regs. Either a full 30 minutes must be taken after 5h30 driving, or alternatively within an 8h30 minute duty breaks totalling 45 minutes must be taken (E.g. 3 x 15 minutes - although in theory it can be 45 x 1 minute).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: notepanel on February 27, 2015, 09:01:29 PM
Quote from: fleetline6477 on February 27, 2015, 08:18:10 PM

There are two ways the break can be worked out with Domestic Regs. Either a full 30 minutes must be taken after 5h30 driving, or alternatively within an 8h30 minute duty breaks totalling 45 minutes must be taken (E.g. 3 x 15 minutes - although in theory it can be 45 x 1 minute).

Oh? They still do straight through duties? I was understanding from when I was at NX they said straight throughs were now illegal!!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Does driving a bus empty to or from a garage have to be done within the drivers hours??
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Matt on February 27, 2015, 09:50:47 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 27, 2015, 09:49:20 PM
Does driving a bus empty to or from a garage have to be done within the drivers hours??

Yes

When I move empty vehicles around the country if it is over 50km that has to be done under EU hours and breaks.

Trident 4194

141 and 241 departed halesowen at 13:23 towards merry hill, which means the 241 is 20 down

sonic84

The 98's were running about 15 minutes late around 1.00 today heading towards Birmingham.

Rob H

2137 & 2141 running together on BC58 towards Solihull seen by Land Rover, Lode Lane around 08:10/08:15 while aboard Sunny Travel V564JBH on 71E (Solihull Bound).

4948 & 4913 running together on BC957 towards Birmingham seen in Solihull around 08:20/08:25.
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

John

Fun and games on the 7 today. 6 out of the 7 daytime buses were stuck either side of an RTC at the Witton Road/Mansfield Road junction. 3 in either direction, for over an hour around midday. The buses from City were turned around first, then the 3 of us heading towards City were then turned around by reversing into a side road. By the time I got into Livery Street, 1.10 down, I was then told to leave 5 minutes early by AVL (therefore completely missing a round trip), but by the time I got to the Crossways, I was 10 down with the next 7 behind. I was then turned around there and was finally back on time then for relief. Plus I was bursting to go too!

Also, 761 on the 68 (it was on the A, stuck in front of me) was stuck too so there was no service at all on there until it was turned around

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/woman-trapped-aston-two-car-collision-8751110#rlabs=1

Trident 4609

1860 and a B7RLE were running together through Wednesfield on the 89 towards Wolverhampton about 18:25 this evening

Kevin

Birchfield road services seem like they're all screwed at the moment. Got into town 18:15 from work to find the X56 only just loading, and the queues on all 3 stops seemed horrendous so presumably hadn't been anything for a while
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on March 03, 2015, 06:23:03 PM
Birchfield road services seem like they're all screwed at the moment. Got into town 18:15 from work to find the X56 only just loading, and the queues on all 3 stops seemed horrendous so presumably hadn't been anything for a while

It was taking 51 & X51s an hour to get from Walsall to The Scott Arms, no idea why at the moment, 33s weren't too bad

Tara4352

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Tony on March 03, 2015, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: Kevin on March 03, 2015, 06:23:03 PM

It was taking 51 & X51s an hour to get from Walsall to The Scott Arms, no idea why at the moment, 33s weren't too bad

M6 queues, Highway agency are jokers. Can't wait for them to shut Jct 5 slip road grrrrrr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk