News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Boxing Day 2013

Started by the trainbasher, November 10, 2013, 10:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 11, 2013, 10:29:05 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on December 11, 2013, 10:21:00 PM
Didn't realise Centro paid for all the services. I just assumed the commercial services at NX are run commercially on Boxing Day

They pay for the tendered stuff, over the odds as the contracts originally didn't specify boxing day as a day of operation, hence why arriva have presumably refused or asked centro for more money than greenbus wanted to run them for the day.

So not the NX evening journeys as you stated above.  We all know you are anti NX,  right down to encouraging cowboy illegal operation.  See Joes Travel thread.  But there is no need to lie about them

Quote from: Sh4166 on December 05, 2013, 10:42:53 PM
[

I'm surprised they're running the 54A, no-one will be using that
[/quote]

I'd hazard a guess it's running at Centro's behest
it's been a while....

PM

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2013, 06:47:53 AM
Didn't realise Centro paid for all the services. I just assumed the commercial services at NX are run commercially on Boxing Day

They pay for the tendered stuff, over the odds as the contracts originally didn't specify boxing day as a day of operation, hence why arriva have presumably refused or asked centro for more money than greenbus wanted to run them for the day.

So not the NX evening journeys as you stated above.  We all know you are anti NX,  right down to encouraging cowboy illegal operation.  See Joes Travel thread.  But there is no need to lie about them

I never mentioned the NX evening journies-I don't even know what's happening about the evening journeys. My original post was "Not an NX innovation seeing as centro are actually paying for services to run on that day on many routes." Ie NX cannot solely take the credit for it seeing as centro are paying for many tendered routes to be run, so clearly it is not just NX.

I am not "anti-NX" at all and I encourage competition which you say is ALLEGEDLY cowboy/illegal operation. So I haven't lied about them.

If you're still thinking NX didn't do similar things in the 80s to get into the position they are in now then watch this video...

Sh4318

Eventually Boxing Day services will be abolished and full Sunday timetables will be ran in place of them. This will probably happen next year
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Sh4166 on December 12, 2013, 12:15:45 PM
Eventually Boxing Day services will be abolished and full Sunday timetables will be ran in place of them. This will probably happen next year

That'll won't be a day off for drivers either I bet!
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 12, 2013, 09:51:22 AM

I never mentioned the NX evening journies-I don't even know what's happening about the evening journeys. My original post was "Not an NX innovation seeing as centro are actually paying for services to run on that day on many routes." Ie NX cannot solely take the credit for it seeing as centro are paying for many tendered routes to be run, so clearly it is not just NX.

I am not "anti-NX" at all and I encourage competition which you say is ALLEGEDLY cowboy/illegal operation. So I haven't lied about them.

If you're still thinking NX didn't do similar things in the 80s to get into the position they are in now then watch this video...

Great video. Takes me way back.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 11, 2013, 09:20:22 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 11, 2013, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 11, 2013, 08:56:20 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 11, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: Sh4166 on December 11, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
An empty Joe's Travel on the 11A turned around in Harborne to pick up passengers on Green Lane waiting for an 11C to Bearwood, about an hour ago... And it was still a quicker journey than NX ;D

Surely that shouldn't be allowed, a bus can't just leave the route its on to pick passengers up of another route. If every company started to do that we would have chaos.

Makes money though... And those passengers had a shorter wait...

True and does another operator out of money

Think the "other" company in question do well enough as it is with their turnover figures...

And to be fair, LS how can any operator hope to compete successfully within the rules?

That was your quote in the Joes Travel

Do you think 'Iceland' should be able to set up in front of Tesco's without planning permission as well because The current supermarket operator 'makes enough money' as well? What's the difference? If Joes Travel wants to run 1 minute in front of NX all he has to do is register 1 minute in front. What Joe's Travel did was illegal, same as building an unauthorised supermarket.

Now tell me what is illegal in that video. TWM had the 50 registered as Frequent service which means as long as 6 buses run in any hour with a gap no longer than 15 minutes they were running as registered

Stu

Getting back to topic...  ::)

It's true that in recent years, Boxing Day saw a skeleton service, and up until last year there were no buses after approx 7pm.

I guess its down to supply and demand. More people are going out on Boxing Day, not just to go shopping, but to go to work, or to visit friends and family. Last year was the first time that NX ran some services after 7pm, and it must have proved a success, as well as the daytime passenger loadings, otherwise we wouldn't see the increased level of service being provided this year.

It will be interesting to see just how successful these services will be again this year on Boxing Day, and that will determine what happens again on Boxing Day in 2014.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liverpool Street

Well NX coaches are running CHRISTMAS DAY! I'm disgusted at NX at that desicion.

But its in exact retrospect from what you've stated above, Stu.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

PM

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2013, 04:00:06 PM

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 11, 2013, 09:20:22 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 11, 2013, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 11, 2013, 08:56:20 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 11, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: Sh4166 on December 11, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
An empty Joe's Travel on the 11A turned around in Harborne to pick up passengers on Green Lane waiting for an 11C to Bearwood, about an hour ago... And it was still a quicker journey than NX ;D

Surely that shouldn't be allowed, a bus can't just leave the route its on to pick passengers up of another route. If every company started to do that we would have chaos.

Makes money though... And those passengers had a shorter wait...

True and does another operator out of money

Think the "other" company in question do well enough as it is with their turnover figures...

And to be fair, LS how can any operator hope to compete successfully within the rules?

That was your quote in the Joes Travel

Do you think 'Iceland' should be able to set up in front of Tesco's without planning permission as well because The current supermarket operator 'makes enough money' as well? What's the difference? If Joes Travel wants to run 1 minute in front of NX all he has to do is register 1 minute in front. What Joe's Travel did was illegal, same as building an unauthorised supermarket.

Now tell me what is illegal in that video. TWM had the 50 registered as Frequent service which means as long as 6 buses run in any hour with a gap no longer than 15 minutes they were running as registered

Pretty sure popping out of side streets and putting extra buses on a route is against the rules: Cardiff Bus got massive fines for doing stuff like this, admittedly years later.

But getting back to topic I wonder if diamond will choose to run all the services out of one depot as opposed to some out of long acre and tividale as don't NX usually run some services from other garages or will this be different this year due to the scale of operations from all garages?

Tony

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 12, 2013, 07:52:32 PM

Pretty sure popping out of side streets and putting extra buses on a route is against the rules: Cardiff Bus got massive fines for doing stuff like this, admittedly years later.

Perhaps you should have been watching the 50 yesterday, one of the Utilities decided to dig a hole in Kings Heath and protect it with four way temporary traffic lights. Buses were running up to one hour late. All 3 operators were turning at all sorts of places and no doubt popping out in front of each other. If you saw a Diamond suddenly turn at Maypole and then find itself 30 seconds in front of a NX or Green Bus would you be posting about Diamond doing naughty things?

PM

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2013, 08:06:09 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 12, 2013, 07:52:32 PM

Perhaps you should have been watching the 50 yesterday, one of the Utilities decided to dig a hole in Kings Heath and protect it with four way temporary traffic lights. Buses were running up to one hour late. All 3 operators were turning at all sorts of places and no doubt popping out in front of each other. If you saw a Diamond suddenly turn at Maypole and then find itself 30 seconds in front of a NX or Green Bus would you be posting about Diamond doing naughty things?

Unofrtunately I'm not in Birmingham to be able to observe but I do know the 50/35 have been in chaos recently. There have been a lot of updates about it....Yes that is probably true but don't think this video is about this...

Kevin

Throwing my two pence worth in here before it veers hideously off topic...

I'm all for a reasonable service on Boxing day, its not just for people going to the sales... For example, my boxing day last year:
Go to work (via city centre - as with everyday) in the morning (was effectively a Sunday shift for us)
Go to Sutton Park for a bit of a walk
Go see some friends in Kingstanding for a drink
Go back home
6 buses, no shopping done
Times are changing unfortunately, not everyone spends boxing day at home all day with family, much in the same way that people would use the bus at 3 in the morning if it existed
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ex BC driver

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 12, 2013, 06:34:05 PM
Well NX coaches are running CHRISTMAS DAY! I'm disgusted at NX at that desicion.

But its in exact retrospect from what you've stated above, Stu.

Selwyns are operating some of the NX coaches from what I've heard.

Sh4318

Something I'm a bit confused about, on the NWM website, it states that the 120 will be running a normal Sunday service after 19:00 on Boxing Day, on the NXWM website, the 120 isn't listed as one of the routes that runs after 19:00
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Trident 4609

Quote from: Sh4166 on December 18, 2013, 01:31:51 PM
Something I'm a bit confused about, on the NWM website, it states that the 120 will be running a normal Sunday service after 19:00 on Boxing Day, on the NXWM website, the 120 isn't listed as one of the routes that runs after 19:00

Same with WN services. Although not stated on the NX website WN routes 1,2,59 and 79 will operate after 7PM along with the 126 and 529 that are listed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk