News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Stops ?

Started by Nathan4775, August 28, 2013, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 20, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
Where do the old shelters go?

I suppose there is a compound somewhere full of redundant shelters. They seem to be already erected then lifted into place these days - rather than built-up on the street. Same when they are lifted out.

I notice some of those 'Primeline' showcase shelters (all painted dark blue in Coventry - although a few have been painted grey & red) are looking increasingly shabby these days. They date roughly from 1998 to the 2006 period. TfWM seem to have settled on a more modern silver design in the last 10 years or so though, but it takes ages to replace all the older ones.

Kevin

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 20, 2020, 04:17:35 PM
I suppose there is a compound somewhere full of redundant shelters....

Definitely some out there have been re-appropriated into smoking shelters, assuming they've been saved from scrap or purchased
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 20, 2020, 04:17:35 PM
I suppose there is a compound somewhere full of redundant shelters. They seem to be already erected then lifted into place these days - rather than built-up on the street. Same when they are lifted out.

I don't know if it still there, but a few years ago, last time I was at Dudley bus station, when I looked over a wall at the back, there was some kind of yard below, which had a few 'derelict' bus shelters and parts being stored.

Quote from: Kevin on August 20, 2020, 04:22:12 PM
Definitely some out there have been re-appropriated into smoking shelters, assuming they've been saved from scrap or purchased

I guess some end up being 'donated' for use as smoking shelters and the like. Certainly there's one at Moseley Rugby Club.

Most probably go off for scrap though.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Lukeee

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 20, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
Where do the old shelters go?

Years back some used to go to an industrial yard on moor lane, witton. Not sure if they still do

paulb1973

Quote from: Lukeee on August 20, 2020, 10:59:48 PM
Years back some used to go to an industrial yard on moor lane, witton. Not sure if they still do

I'm sure on Flickr (or maybe it was on Facebook) someone posted a picture of a shabby looking yard full of TfWM shelters - slightly surreal as it appears most had been lifted straight off the street and just dumped there, some still with advert panels attached.

I assume TfWM (and its predecessors) have approached an outside contractor to build and supply shelters for the WM area - all of broadly the same design but in different lengths/width pitch and modular make-up for specific sites on the streets. It is possible the earlier Showcase/Primeline shelters and the current silver ones [for want of a better description] are from the same company.

When I spent a couple of days in Belfast in July (and in Liverpool a couple of years back) it would appear Clear Channel Adshel supplies all the shelters; be it for advertising or otherwise, creating a uniformity across the streets. They are all in the same colour (yellow/black in Merseyside) and generally speaking all of the same design. Here it seems to be a mish-mash of colours, older designs, newer ones etc - perhaps TfWM have finally settled on something in recent years!

ellspurs

I've seen that they've started to remove the 94A service from the flags on Auckland Drive.

SO6597

All of the yellow/green shelters have been replaced on Woodlands Park Road with silver/red ones.

mesub

Quite a few bus stops have been changing around the Bartley Green/ Woodgate Area.

Clapgate Lane -> Kettles Wood Drive
Clapgate Lane (another stop) -> Wood Leasow

The things I don't get:

• Last year, a bus stop was added at Newman university for the 23 to lay by, however this stop stop seems to no longer be in use and the 23 flag has moved to join the 002. The 18 is missing though, does it not stop at Newman university anymore (heading to Adam's hill)?

• The next stop announcement name for The Old Crown has changed (to Tyndall Walk) , but there is no obvious need for it to have changed... I wonder why?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MasterPlan

I wonder if it's possible when the 76 is added to the bus stops to replace the 27 they can remove X21 from the Weoley Castle Road, Gregory Avenue stop. There's no need for it to stop both there and at the Gregory Avenue, Weoley Castle Road stop which is quite literally across the road.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

bususer28

Quote from: mesub on September 03, 2020, 04:29:03 PM

• Last year, a bus stop was added at Newman university for the 23 to lay by, however this stop stop seems to no longer be in use and the 23 flag has moved to join the 002. The 18 is missing though, does it not stop at Newman university anymore (heading to Adam's hill)?

As I'm back to work and I catch the 18, a few days in a row now they haven't stopped at the university but instead drive past using the more direct road so I assume it no longer stops there but I maybe wrong.

MasterPlan

Quote from: bususer28 on September 03, 2020, 05:55:33 PM
As I'm back to work and I catch the 18, a few days in a row now they haven't stopped at the university but instead drive past using the more direct road so I assume it no longer stops there but I maybe wrong.

Bit weird if that is the case. Newman University is the main stop point around that area really. In my opinion either the X21 or X22 should serve it too.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Westy

Are TfWm in progress of updating stops as per 30 August changes, as Wolverhampton Road/Samuel Street stop is still showing the previous information?

Stu

Quote from: Westy on September 03, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
Are TfWm in progress of updating stops as per 30 August changes, as Wolverhampton Road/Samuel Street stop is still showing the previous information?

Round here, the printed timetables at stops were only updated a couple of weeks ago to show 5th July timetables.

I don't know why they couldn't have just left them another couple of weeks and do them just ahead of the 30th August changes.

My locals:

Stu

I noticed this morning at the Palmerston Road stops on Stratford Road by Aldi, that the stop for the X50 now shows 'Not In Use'.

Just been on the Johnsons website and the X50 has been reinstated since 30th August, but now stops at Stoney Lane stop towards city instead.

In my opinion, these two stops by Aldi should have been 'switched' a long time ago, to make things a bit easier when buses are making up time when running early. As the X50 only runs on Sunday, it makes more sense to me to have the 2, 3, 4/A, 5 and 6 use that stop instead, then any other bus arriving behind can use the other stop as an 'overspill'.  (Like what happens across the road next to the church).

There was one morning a few weeks ago, when there were already two buses waiting at the stop, while another was waiting before the car park entrance. The bus I was on (either 2 or 3 can't remember now) ended up having to pull in ahead of this queue, and ended up just beyond the X50 stop.
My locals:

Quote from: Stu on September 03, 2020, 06:19:40 PM
Round here, the printed timetables at stops were only updated a couple of weeks ago to show 5th July timetables.
I noticed the frequencies on the 55/94 stand in the City Centre dated 5th July are all wrong.
For instance it says the 55/94 run every 1 minute to Washwood Heath and every 8 minutes to Ward End, which is bizzare. Both are wrong, same route, so should be the same frequency. Should both be every 4 or 5 minutes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk