News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Claribels

Started by monkeyjoe, May 02, 2012, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

I still reckon the 94 will be cut

Jack D

Who has been awarded the 53?

winston

Quote from: Jack D on October 01, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
Who has been awarded the 53?

See Simon Dunn's reply in Rotala Q&A thread

metrocity

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 01, 2019, 06:09:08 AM
I still reckon the 94 will be cut
Frequency slightly reduced from end of October

New 94 timetable is now on bus times.
https://bustimes.org/services/94-birmingham-chelmsley-wood-via-ward-end?date=2019-11-02
I notice there will now be an hour gap around midday as well. Something which they never used to do.

This new timetable will make the claribels service much less convenient.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

Quote from: 2206 on October 08, 2019, 11:25:31 PM
https://bustimes.org/services/94-birmingham-chelmsley-wood-via-ward-end?date=2019-11-02

The new frequency is all over the shop, that'll kill what's left of the Claribel's custom on that route.

Gareth

Their new timetable is very saddening to see. I use Claribels a lot. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

Busboy105

Quote from: Gareth on October 09, 2019, 03:19:41 PM
Their new timetable is very saddening to see. I use Claribels a lot. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.
Probably is. Look what happened to routes like the 55 and the 71E ever since they decided to take the 424, 600, 604 and the S16. They tried to bring back the 97A but withdrew after a couple months.

Steveminor

Rumours of Claribels demise are way off the mark.
Market conditions in any business change over time, as we've seen with house of Fraser Thomas cook etc if you dont alter your business & adapt to changing market conditions well we all know what happens.

That is all we are doing is adapting to the current most favourable market conditions so as to ensure the business maximises profit potential.

monkeyjoe

Such a same just left with nxbus who don't really care about the corridor. Real shame.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on October 08, 2019, 11:25:31 PM
I notice there will now be an hour gap around midday as well. Something which they never used to do.

This new timetable will make the claribels service much less convenient.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 09, 2019, 07:19:28 PM
Such a same just left with nxbus who don't really care about the corridor. Real shame.

Less convenient? From what I can see of the timetables, Claribels are reducing the frequency of their service from 10-15 to 18 minutes, with what is a near-hour break at lunchtime, presumably so the drivers can have a break.

There doesn't seem to be any change to NX's service, which operates about every 8 minutes with double-decks, so I can't really see this as being an 'inconvenience' for passengers.

While admittedly I don't use the 94 service myself, some of the comments I'm reading here are a bit too doom-laden, and as a businessman myself, I fully appreciate Steveminor's comment above about adapting to difficult market conditions. Reducing your operating costs by altering your timetable - presumably one less bus/driver is then required - seems a sensible move to me. if it keeps a commercially-operated service profitable.

Or would people prefer that Claribels kept things 'as they are' and then end up going out of business, which would mean no service on the 94? I didn't think so.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

It's going from every 12 to every 18 minutes with an midday break  and the Saturday service is infrequent. When NX run every 4 - 8 minutes monday to saturday, nobody is going to wait for this service anymore, so that makes it less convenient. Some of the Claribel 94's at peak times leave completely full, so less capacity at those times, meaning more people will use the NX bus.

Clearly operating tendered services is more profitable, since each time they win a tendered route they take the buses from the commercial network. The few buses/drivers they take of will most likely go onto the 36. Presumably when they win another tendered route, that will be the end of what's left of there service.

Clearly NX care more about the corridor the Claribels @monkeyjoe, overall they run a much better service.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

metrocity

Quote from: 2206 on October 09, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
It's going from every 12 to every 18 minutes and the Saturday service is infrequent. When NX run every 4 - 8 minutes, nobody is going to wait for this service anymore. Some of the Claribel 94's at peak times leave completely full, so less capacity at those times, meaning more people will take the NX bus.
Clearly operating tendered services is more profitable, since each time they win a tendered route they take the buses from the comercial network. The few buses/drivers they take of will most likely go onto the 36.

Clearly NX care more about the corridor the Claribels @monkeyjoe
I am sure they care about the corridor but they are a business not a charity. They will care far more about running a viable business

Gareth

Quote from: Steveminor on October 09, 2019, 05:24:00 PM
Rumours of Claribels demise are way off the mark.
Market conditions in any business change over time, as we've seen with house of Fraser Thomas cook etc if you dont alter your business & adapt to changing market conditions well we all know what happens.

That is all we are doing is adapting to the current most favourable market conditions so as to ensure the business maximises profit potential.

My comment above about hoping it isn't the beginning of the end isn't about Claribel as a business, I'm on about the 94 route. I wish the company all the very best on their new routes, but as an enthusiastic and loyal claribel passenger, I'm saddened to see the new timetable.

*EDIT*
I've just realised it's only the Saturday timetable that has changed dramatically. The week day is only a slight reduction. My apologies.

winston

Quote from: Gareth on October 10, 2019, 01:05:59 PM
My comment above about hoping it isn't the beginning of the end isn't about Claribel as a business, I'm on about the 94 route. I wish the company all the very best on their new routes, but as an enthusiastic and loyal claribel passenger, I'm saddened to see the new timetable.

Just noticed my comments about new 94 timetable being all over the shop, didn't notice that was only the Sat timetable. I can't see anywhere where there's rumours of Claribel's demise, just the start of downward spiral for Claribel's on the 94 route with a less frequent service.

Surprised tendered work is deemed more lucrative than commercial work, the only thing difference from where I'm sat is that tendered revenues are more guaranteed, but equally tenders can easily be lost when they come up for re-tender. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk