News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Questions for the NXWM Operations Director

Started by NX OD, July 24, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: NX OD on August 11, 2013, 10:50:31 AM
I will try and summarise the livery position as there have been a few comments about it.

We have, internally, debated the livery many times over the last couple of years.  Some people like it and some do not and that is always the case with bus colours - some of the ones I have liked the most others have not.

The position we have agreed on is to get all the remaining non red and white buses in to that livery so we can have, for the first time in a long time, the whole fleet in one livery (granted there have been some variations of the red and white).  We believe that having one simple identity is beneficial for passengers and will give us a strong, clear brand.

It also means that rather than starting a whole debate about the livery and then taking up the paint shop throughput putting on a new livery we can spend time on things that passengers value more and get more buses painted than would otherwise be the case.

I have strong views on bus livery, branding and other presentation issues (as do many of my colleagues, employees and enthusiasts)  but the truth is that the vast majority of our passengers want the bus to be clean, well driven and on time rather than worrying if it has a blue skirt or a grey back (or whatever variation we might all come up with).  It is on these things that we have been spending our time and energy rather than designing and implementing a new livery.
Don't disagree with much of what you say Simon but you would agree that first impressions are important and a first impression is often gained at the bus stop. Scruffy appearance suggests 'scruffy' service especially if it happens to be a few minutes late. Nothing will convince me that white is suitable for urban bus services, but thanks for responding.

Stu

Hi Simon, thanks for your previous response, and thanks for passing it on for consideration!

Something else which frequently crops up on my West Midlands Bus Users Facebook page, is the subject of route renumberings, especially after previous network reviews.

How much of this is actually down to NXWM, or is it more of a decision that Centro have made, based on passenger feedback, that NXWM have had to simply just comply with?

Personally, I agree with the route renumberings, and rather than confusing passengers (who soon get over the initial 'shock' and accept the changes), it mainly seems to bother the enthusiasts, when they don't know exactly which '5' service people are referring to! Is this also a problem for the Customer Service team when responding to customer feedback and complaints? (eg, "waited 20 minutes for a 5 which never turned up")
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

bususer12

Quote from: NX OD on August 11, 2013, 06:29:48 PM
Quote from: bususer12 on August 11, 2013, 06:14:31 PM

Just a quick one here on dead running on the 9. Would it be possible or early journeys (before 6am) and late journeys (after midnight), instead of running dead between the garage and Stourbridge to run as a 256E, as it would not add to mileage at all, but I believe there is something about PE drivers not being paid between end of route and depot, would this mean that this route would come at a cost??

Sorry, think this one was missed, just eager for a response

Hi,

It is possible and there are no pay agreements that would stop it but I am not sure what the point would be?

It would take longer for the buses to get from the depot to Stourbridge and this may make some duties not work out properly but most would.  The timetable would be very odd and irregular as well.

Thanks for your reply. I feel that whilst demand would be on the low side, it would be good to have a forward service from Stourbridge, and I'm usually not the only one walking towards Kingswinford after getting off the 9 at night. What's the extra cost if you pay the drivers to drive to the garage anyway?

If you look at the current 256 timetable, the morning journies are not in sync at all, and by the look of the timetable the 5.06, 5.36, 6.08 and 6.38 from Stourbridge run dead, a timetable of 10 minutes from Kingswinford to Stourbridge would add at most a couple of minutes.

In the evening, granted the timetable is set, but again the buses due in at 00.09, 00.39, 01.09 and 01.34 run dead to depot. Maybe just running one or two each way as an experiment would be good. You should see the loadings on the first 256 of the morning!

Hello, Simon

1645 need repaint and there are worn out! Some Mercs T & V need more repaint?
I suppose there are lots president being to repaint rather than Mercs Mark 2 that is not fair. T & V should be repaint and running in extra years. Merc T & V and President should not withdrawn as soon and stay in next three years!
I'm dislike double decker! I love a bendy buses!

Don't ask to me about Double Decker and only talk me for Single Decker and Bendy buses.

6004 T604 MOA .... 6005 T605 MOA ... 6008 T608 MOA .... 6013 BJ03 ESN ....

NX OD

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 11, 2013, 08:21:30 PM
I'm just curious the new 59 to Kingshurst is it actually working for you as a route in terms of performance as it always seems empty at the Kingshurst side?

Hi Joe,

We are happy with the 59 at the moment.

NX OD

Quote from: RW on August 12, 2013, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: NX OD on August 11, 2013, 10:50:31 AM
I will try and summarise the livery position as there have been a few comments about it.

We have, internally, debated the livery many times over the last couple of years.  Some people like it and some do not and that is always the case with bus colours - some of the ones I have liked the most others have not.

The position we have agreed on is to get all the remaining non red and white buses in to that livery so we can have, for the first time in a long time, the whole fleet in one livery (granted there have been some variations of the red and white).  We believe that having one simple identity is beneficial for passengers and will give us a strong, clear brand.

It also means that rather than starting a whole debate about the livery and then taking up the paint shop throughput putting on a new livery we can spend time on things that passengers value more and get more buses painted than would otherwise be the case.

I have strong views on bus livery, branding and other presentation issues (as do many of my colleagues, employees and enthusiasts)  but the truth is that the vast majority of our passengers want the bus to be clean, well driven and on time rather than worrying if it has a blue skirt or a grey back (or whatever variation we might all come up with).  It is on these things that we have been spending our time and energy rather than designing and implementing a new livery.
Don't disagree with much of what you say Simon but you would agree that first impressions are important and a first impression is often gained at the bus stop. Scruffy appearance suggests 'scruffy' service especially if it happens to be a few minutes late. Nothing will convince me that white is suitable for urban bus services, but thanks for responding.

Totally agree that whatever the colour scheme the bus should be well presented and not scruffy.

uniquicity

Simon, quick one re Merc 1668 at WB - it has an old style upper destination blind which doesn't have Bartley Green on for the 48. This could get confusing for passengers at the QE not knowing which way it is going when it showing a blank upper.

NX OD

Quote from: Stu on August 12, 2013, 07:15:01 PM
Hi Simon, thanks for your previous response, and thanks for passing it on for consideration!

Something else which frequently crops up on my West Midlands Bus Users Facebook page, is the subject of route renumberings, especially after previous network reviews.

How much of this is actually down to NXWM, or is it more of a decision that Centro have made, based on passenger feedback, that NXWM have had to simply just comply with?

Personally, I agree with the route renumberings, and rather than confusing passengers (who soon get over the initial 'shock' and accept the changes), it mainly seems to bother the enthusiasts, when they don't know exactly which '5' service people are referring to! Is this also a problem for the Customer Service team when responding to customer feedback and complaints? (eg, "waited 20 minutes for a 5 which never turned up")

Hi,

The route renumbering probably has more to do with NXWM than Centro but they are willing particpants to the principle.

Many of the routes that have been renumbered have seen passenger growth higher than those that have not been renumbered so it seems to work. 

I am a big believer in buses being a local product relevant to local people and so Wolverhampton should have its own local numbers as should Coventry or other places.

NX OD

Quote from: 6013 on August 14, 2013, 08:12:36 AM
Hello, Simon

1645 need repaint and there are worn out! Some Mercs T & V need more repaint?
I suppose there are lots president being to repaint rather than Mercs Mark 2 that is not fair. T & V should be repaint and running in extra years. Merc T & V and President should not withdrawn as soon and stay in next three years!

Hi 6013,

We are prioritising buses that will be in the fleet for longer than others to be repainted.  We are trying to work through the Merc's as we can if it makes sense.

NX OD

Changing Dead Running Journeys

There have been a few comments about turning dead running journeys in to live ones on routes that go to the garage. 

I appreciate the point but it can often add extra time for the driver and this affects duty lengths and the cost.  I also don't see that there would be much demand for odd short journeys to the garage such as extra 301E's.

I will ask Network Planning to look at the first 256 loadings.

domino.99

A couple of questions:
1) what was the point in the re-numbering of wolverhampton routes?
2) is there any plans on any changes again this year? If so when
3) Why is the 81 becoming less and less reliable like the previous 283 and 583?
4) Will WN garage ever have any enviros as i think they would work brilliantly on the 126?

Thanks

NX OD

Quote from: domino.99 on August 14, 2013, 09:26:19 PM
A couple of questions:
4) Will WN garage ever have any enviros as i think they would work brilliantly on the 126?

Thanks

Hi Domino,

1) The point was, as outlined in a post above, to give Wolverhampton its own locally identified bus routes that could be used as a spring board to patronage growth.  We find that renumbered routes attract more passengers than those we don't renumber but also that lower numbers are easier for people to relate to.

2) There are some timetable changes from 1st September.  There are then some plans being developed for the end of October that may or may not come to fruition.  Very few of these are in Wolverhampton.

3) The Engineers are working hard on making sure the buses used on the 81 are more reliable than they have been recently.

4) There are the Enviro 400H Hybrids on the 1 in Wolverhampton.  At the moment there are no plans for other new double deckers in Wolverhampton but we have not decided on 2014 orders as yet.

domino.99

Quote from: NX OD on August 14, 2013, 09:30:35 PM
A couple of questions:

Thanks

Hi Domino,

1) The point was, as outlined in a post above, to give Wolverhampton its own locally identified bus routes that could be used as a spring board to patronage growth.  We find that renumbered routes attract more passengers than those we don't renumber but also that lower numbers are easier for people to relate to.

2) There are some timetable changes from 1st September.  There are then some plans being developed for the end of October that may or may not come to fruition.  Very few of these are in Wolverhampton.

3) The Engineers are working hard on making sure the buses used on the 81 are more reliable than they have been recently.

4) There are the Enviro 400H Hybrids on the 1 in Wolverhampton.  At the moment there are no plans for other new double deckers in Wolverhampton but we have not decided on 2014 orders as yet.
I wouldn't say they enviro 400H Hybrids are on the 1 alone are they but also on the rebranding on TWM -> NXWM. In 3 years NXWM havn't changed all of there buses from twm -> nxwm livery and then in the space of 3 months Midland have changed all of there buses from midland -> arriva how?

NX OD

Quote from: domino.99 on August 14, 2013, 09:42:57 PM
A couple of questions:

Thanks

Hi Domino,

I wouldn't say they enviro 400H Hybrids are on the 1 alone are they but also on the rebranding on TWM -> NXWM. In 3 years NXWM havn't changed all of there buses from twm -> nxwm livery and then in the space of 3 months Midland have changed all of there buses from midland -> arriva how?

They have less buses than us to paint or replace.

To paint all our buses in to the same livery will take on average 5 years assuming no delays in the paint shop (which happen often because some buses need more preparation than others).

Tony

Quote from: NX OD on August 14, 2013, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: domino.99 on August 14, 2013, 09:42:57 PM
A couple of questions:

Thanks

Hi Domino,

They have less buses than us to paint or replace.

To paint all our buses in to the same livery will take on average 5 years assuming no delays in the paint shop (which happen often because some buses need more preparation than others).

Arriva/Midland haven't painted all their fleet, there are still several red ones. Also they have done it by replacing old buses with similarly aged old buses already in livery from elsewhere.

Have a look at how many Arriva Midland buses are in the old Arriva Livery, including a few at Wednesfield, and how many in the current livery and you will see NX are well ahead of Arriva in getting all their fleet in one livery, same with First Group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk