News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Double doors on buses

Started by Dylan4579, July 14, 2013, 04:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double doors

On all buses
On all decker routes and busy singles
On Decker routes only
On speacial Decker routes
None

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on July 15, 2013, 07:28:21 PM
Lets be honest, it's going to be just like the "Birmingham needs / doesn't need nightbuses". People have different opinions with different evidence to base their opinions on, other people try to say "no it's a stupid idea shut up". I'll just accept in some peoples' eyes I'm wrong, it's probably easier

I didn't say that, it was just your answers didn't relate to the points in my text you quoted

sonic84

Wasn't most of Birmingham Coach Companies fleet double door leyland nationals in the mid 90's?

Tony

Quote from: sonic84 on July 15, 2013, 08:53:03 PM
Wasn't most of Birmingham Coach Companies fleet double door leyland nationals in the mid 90's?

I think about a quarter was dual door, mostly ex Brighton & Hove, Chase also had several ex London Dual Door nationals

Stu

I do remember Birmingham Coach Company having several single-deck buses on the 120 with doors at the middle, but they were never used.

As has previously been stated, double doors might work effectively in London, where the infrastructure is in place, but its simply wouldn't work here in the Midlands, with the exception of course being the bendi-buses on the 67.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on July 15, 2013, 08:58:45 PM
I do remember Birmingham Coach Company having several single-deck buses on the 120 with doors at the middle, but they were never used.

As has previously been stated, double doors might work effectively in London, where the infrastructure is in place, but its simply wouldn't work here in the Midlands, with the exception of course being the bendi-buses on the 67.

The BBC had numerous centre door buses, they used to use them on the 247/8.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4609

Quote from: Tony on July 15, 2013, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: sonic84 on July 15, 2013, 08:53:03 PM

I think about a quarter was dual door, mostly ex Brighton & Hove, Chase also had several ex London Dual Door nationals

I remember the nationals at chase when they operated the 560. How many were dual door as most of the ones i remember were Single door

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 15, 2013, 09:00:16 PM

The British Broadcasting Company?

Trident 4609

The BBC?

Stuharris 6360

Sorry that should have read BCC   ;)
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 15, 2013, 09:01:16 PM

He means the BCC surely.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: The Retiring Rat on July 15, 2013, 09:02:19 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 15, 2013, 09:01:16 PM

He means the BCC surely.

I know, I was just messing about ;)

Trident 4609

Oh i had a feeling you were talking about the Birmingham Coach Company

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on July 15, 2013, 05:58:50 PM
I can't see what point you are trying to make, but you certainly didn't understand my point. My point was double doors do not speed up unloading and loading that much because once people getting on get to the bottom of the stairs it grounds to a halt anyway.

London tried to cure this by moving the middle doors further back. In current vehicles they are one bay further back than on Fleetlines, Metrobuses and Titans. This has now been negated by moving the stairs forward on the latest buses

Perhaps my post previous to this wasn't worded brilliantly and was more or less responding to my own post so I can see why you didn't see my point, so I'll try again... My opinion is that (from experience of them) London buses don't have as much of a problem of having to get rid of so many people from a single bus, because there aren't as many people on the bus, which in turn is because there are a lot more buses, whereas here the buses aren't as frequent as they need to be.

In response to your post I did understand your point, but to me it's not a valid arguement, because even with having to wait for people to come down the stairs first, there's still a fair number of people that can get on the bus first, and those that are getting off can get off quicker because there's less of a crowd in the way at the only door, every little bit of time saved helps, especially when repeated a number of times along the route.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on July 15, 2013, 09:07:03 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 15, 2013, 05:58:50 PM
I can't see what point you are trying to make, but you certainly didn't understand my point. My point was double doors do not speed up unloading and loading that much because once people getting on get to the bottom of the stairs it grounds to a halt anyway.

London tried to cure this by moving the middle doors further back. In current vehicles they are one bay further back than on Fleetlines, Metrobuses and Titans. This has now been negated by moving the stairs forward on the latest buses

Perhaps my post previous to this wasn't worded brilliantly and was more or less responding to my own post so I can see why you didn't see my point, so I'll try again... My opinion is that (from experience of them) London buses don't have as much of a problem of having to get rid of so many people from a single bus, because there aren't as many people on the bus, which in turn is because there are a lot more buses, whereas here the buses aren't as frequent as they need to be.

In response to your post I did understand your point, but to me it's not a valid arguement, because even with having to wait for people to come down the stairs first, there's still a fair number of people that can get on the bus first, and those that are getting off can get off quicker because there's less of a crowd in the way at the only door, every little bit of time saved helps, especially when repeated a number of times along the route.

I'll certainly give you the point people can alight faster, that is nothing to do with bus design, but the ignorance of many people waiting to board trying to get on or just stand in the way of people alighting, If people queued properly and stood back until everyone was off it wouldn't matter where the door was

Stuharris 6360

I think in a way London Buses have to have two doors (3 in some cases), Londoners seem to be a whole different breed of commuter.

They expect buses to come along when they want it (and moan if they just miss one even if the next one is in view), and believe me, if London Buses only had one door, there would be a running battle for people trying to get on against people trying to get off. Londoners only have time for one person and that is themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk