News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Double doors on buses

Started by Dylan4579, July 14, 2013, 04:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double doors

On all buses
On all decker routes and busy singles
On Decker routes only
On speacial Decker routes
None

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on July 18, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
Sounds like you've had a bad day Rat. Bristol Road getting you down again? I'm sure it wasn't like that back in the day of the SOE---H jumbo Fleetlines* although you did have to watch out on the 63 for odd characters who were on day release from the old Rubery Hill mental hospitals.

* Keeping it on topic with reference to dual door Fleetlines.

Nope, just reflecting on upcoming retirement, how crap this actually is.. And the Company just sits there and takes it. Paralyzed.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

CL

Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2013, 05:31:19 PM
Quote from: dgss1 on July 14, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
Who Thinks we should have two doors on our buses, but NONE of the other london features, such as the ramp in the middle door

No-one in their right mind!

I would! :) Judge me if you will, but the only dual door bus in our city is the 67, and it isn't that busy! More services such as the fast flowing 37, or Sutton Coldfield Buses should be porvided with double deckers with dual doors. I'd love to see a variety of buses. Also, I would like another "London Feature" which is the iBus. Personally, I like London's iBus, and the one's on the 22/23 routes, i think they should make more, on buses with the monitors.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Sh4318

Quote from: clayderman on July 18, 2013, 11:53:01 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2013, 05:31:19 PM
Quote from: dgss1 on July 14, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
Who Thinks we should have two doors on our buses, but NONE of the other london features, such as the ramp in the middle door

No-one in their right mind!

I would! :) Judge me if you will, but the only dual door bus in our city is the 67, and it isn't that busy! More services such as the fast flowing 37, or Sutton Coldfield Buses should be porvided with double deckers with dual doors. I'd love to see a variety of buses. Also, I would like another "London Feature" which is the iBus. Personally, I like London's iBus, and the one's on the 22/23 routes, i think they should make more, on buses with the monitors.

I think they would be useful, for passenger flow, but I don't think they are required, and given that, like you said, only 1 route in the City Centre is dual bus, in my opinion, it would be easier and more beneficial to stick to the one door layout with new buses that NXWM receives
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Quote from: The Retiring Rat on July 18, 2013, 09:49:44 PM
Oh my!! Those buses! I wish Birmingham people were high quality. But no
All you get is rubber lips sucking chicken bones clean and chucked on the floor. Gob on the floor. Burn up a rizzla. And damn tracksuits. Seriously, these people give nothing to society, so just end there pathetic lives as they don't deserve life. They pass the time by insulting others, more higher in stature within the community. This country is sickening. When I was a nipper we used to teach these wasters a lesson, but automatically the police is on the Tracksuits side. Makes me sick to the back teeth.
It's like the fat bloke rubbing his belly smiling saying 'it's all paid for'
These low life idle benefit sucking scumbags say 'it's all paid for.... by somebody else'
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 4006 on July 19, 2013, 02:53:49 AM
Quote from: The Retiring Rat on July 18, 2013, 09:49:44 PM
Oh my!! Those buses! I wish Birmingham people were high quality. But no
All you get is rubber lips sucking chicken bones clean and chucked on the floor. Gob on the floor. Burn up a rizzla. And damn tracksuits. Seriously, these people give nothing to society, so just end there pathetic lives as they don't deserve life. They pass the time by insulting others, more higher in stature within the community. This country is sickening. When I was a nipper we used to teach these wasters a lesson, but automatically the police is on the Tracksuits side. Makes me sick to the back teeth.
It's like the fat bloke rubbing his belly smiling saying 'it's all paid for'
These low life idle benefit sucking scumbags say 'it's all paid for.... by somebody else'

Finally, someone on my wavelength!

And regarding dual doors, it won't work. NX is about reducing accidents, , and sticking extra doors on it will just increase risk. It works in London as its London.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Eric Shaw

Double or treble doors work very well all over Europe. I recently travelled on a couple of treble door MAN City Lion's in Dubrovnik. I believe single door double deckers are required in Britain because of the lack of Rapid Transit systems. Buses are used here, particularly in big cities like Birmingham on routes which take on hour or more at peak times to get to their final destinations. In these cases the maximum number of seats possible are required. It is much more acceptable to stand on a railed vehicle, which are much faster. I regret Birmingham scrapped the trams instead of modernising them.

busfan2847

Quote from: Eric Shaw on July 19, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Double or treble doors work very well all over Europe.
and just about everywhere else in the world.

bwsau cymru

I do think it could be an idea on the very busy routes such as maybe the 33/51 but not really that useful nor nessasary. But on the 50 I actually think the borrismaster would be idea as I think its the only route you would maybe want to hop on and off on maybe going through kings heath etc....
campaigning for better transport for all

Liverpool Street

Or not.

Double doors will not work. And don't even think about the BorrisMaster!

Loading times won't even be changed.
until it cought fire

Dylan4579

the Boris Master is 2 doors only, TfL removed the funding for the conductors

Tony

Quote from: dgss1 on July 20, 2013, 10:16:56 AM

Not sure were you got that from!
The prototypes on the 38 are now running as normal buses in two door mode on normal workings, not extras like they were but the production ones LT8-40 on the 24 route are all in full 3 door with conductor mode

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on July 20, 2013, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: dgss1 on July 20, 2013, 10:16:56 AM

Not sure were you got that from!
The prototypes on the 38 are now running as normal buses in two door mode on normal workings, not extras like they were but the production ones LT8-40 on the 24 route are all in full 3 door with conductor mode

....and when I saw them "in the flesh" last week, they were hideous
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Dylan4579

I know Kevin, but the back's the worst by far

don

I thought they look quirky but ok - the back looks v strange - cant understand that white on black blind arrangement - compared with other buses in Whitehall yesterday the 24s blinds showing Hampstead Heath were virtually illegible from a distance. Perhaps the money saved on the cheaper blinds covers the cost of conductors??!!!  :P

I saw one approaching at a distance from Victoria St and could only see the top half through the traffic. i initially thought it was a preserved sightseeing bus - looked just like a mid 60s narrow windowed NCME bodied Fleetline or Atlantean!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

CL

Judge for yourself. ::) (I have a hobby...  :-[)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk