News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

I think from what Tony has hinted is that the two new garages in Longbridge and Kitts Green will simply replace the existing Birmingham Central garage, with the south-west Birmingham services running out of Longbridge, and the east Birmingham services out of Kitts Green.

So I think its safe to say that for now we can put an end to speculating on closure of AG and/or YW as its clearly not going to happen. Though its possible we may see one or two other services transferring in to the new garages but only to free up capacity at others, for reasons that Tony has stated.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on May 07, 2021, 05:18:08 PM
I think from what Tony has hinted is that the two new garages in Longbridge and Kitts Green will simply replace the existing Birmingham Central garage, with the south-west Birmingham services running out of Longbridge, and the east Birmingham services out of Kitts Green.

So I think its safe to say that for now we can put an end to speculating on closure of AG and/or YW as its clearly not going to happen. Though its possible we may see one or two other services transferring in to the new garages but only to free up capacity at others, for reasons that Tony has stated.

When cross-city services are introduced that will affect which services are run by which garage as well

Stu

Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2021, 06:20:54 PM
When cross-city services are introduced that will affect which services are run by which garage as well

That's a good point, I would have thought it would have been beneficial to split such services between garages, for example the proposed 50/82/87 merger split between West Bromwich and Yardley Wood, to save on dead-running.

But then again, West Bromwich already run the 48 which travels through much of south-west Birmingham.

Interesting times ahead!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on May 07, 2021, 07:22:38 PM
That's a good point, I would have thought it would have been beneficial to split such services between garages, for example the proposed 50/82/87 merger split between West Bromwich and Yardley Wood, to save on dead-running.

But then again, West Bromwich already run the 48 which travels through much of south-west Birmingham.

Interesting times ahead!

Logistically the ones starting at each end would be operated by its respective garage but that running board would have to finish at the same place too (to maximise operating costs) unless you have a "dynamic" fleet where they live at both depots, but then that'd probably be an issue from an accounting point of view (depending on whether NX budget by the depot or whether it's "universal". You'd also have two relief points at each end. Perhaps a return of stickers in the windscreen with which depot that bus is running from...

Off topic but when the Diamond 50 transferred to Redditch, half the running boards began in City and not at Maypole, which would have made more sense. Same goes for the end of service. Some running boards finished in City, and then you'd run dead along the whole route to Maypole and then onto the bypass to Redditch. Whether they've changed that now, I don't know.

Quote from: MW on May 07, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
Perhaps a return of stickers in the windscreen with which depot that bus is running from...
They tell you inside where its ran from now.
The new sign says something like "This bus is deep cleaned every night by your local Perry Barr/Central Birmingham cleaning team".
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SO6597

Re: buses getting back to the Longbridge garage, there used to be a service road linking the old car factory to Rubery Lane. Not sure if it still exists but that would be an efficient way of getting any Frankley/Harborne/West Bham services back to base from that side.

In the event of any non-BC services needing to move to Longbridge to release capacity elsewhere, the 49 looks the most likely as the 18/27/76 either directly pass or go far closer to YW than they would to to new garage, 27 also being single deck would be an anomaly there.

The 48 is an interesting one as 75% of the full route is in what could be described as the new garage's patch. A candidate for a share with the 48A run by WB?

As someone else said, definitely interesting times ahead.

SK68MEV

since the Iron Lane Junction Improvements are coming to an end soon as it's mainly competed was wondering if the 55 will go back to its old route via stechford road
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

ellspurs

Quote from: SK68MEV on May 08, 2021, 07:54:27 PM
since the Iron Lane Junction Improvements are coming to an end soon as it's mainly competed was wondering if the 55 will go back to its old route via stechford road

Are they changing the road layout on Stechford Lane so the bus doesn't have to drive down to the roundabout to do a u-turn to come back on itself to turn down Stechford Road? It always felt it lost more time sat at those lights twice than it did doing the u-turn on the roundabout.

Quote from: ellspurs on May 08, 2021, 08:11:26 PM
Are they changing the road layout on Stechford Lane so the bus doesn't have to drive down to the roundabout to do a u-turn to come back on itself to turn down Stechford Road? It always felt it lost more time sat at those lights twice than it did doing the u-turn on the roundabout.
If the current route is the permanent route maybe add an extra stop on the Stechford Road as it seems like a long gap with no stop.

Does Stechford Lane still see a lot of congestion though like it used to, how long does it take for the 11 to get through there in the peak normally, or is it better now?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack D

The road has already changed you can turn left at the lights now

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack D on May 08, 2021, 08:16:23 PM
The road has already changed you can turn left at the lights now

Ah, then it would make sense to revert it. Depends on how many new people caught the bus on the Coleshill Road than used to catch it on the Stechford Road. It doesn't seem like they've bothered to add any new stops to the other side of Stechford Road that the 55 currently serves.

SK68MEV

Quote from: 2206 on May 08, 2021, 08:16:01 PM
If the current route is the permanent route maybe add an extra stop on the Stechford Road as it seems like a long gap with no stop.

Does Stechford Lane still see a lot of congestion though like it used to, how long does it take for the 11 to get through there in the peak normally, or is it better now?
once the slip road is open all the congestion will be mostly gone that was the idea of the improvements but yes there's no stops that have been added to the side it currently serves and when it was diverted i'm pretty sure NX did say it was a long time diversion but hopefully it goes back down the old route pretty sure it saves journey time too
Local Routes
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Quote from: SK68MEV on May 08, 2021, 11:29:34 PM
once the slip road is open all the congestion will be mostly gone that was the idea of the improvements but yes there's no stops that have been added to the side it currently serves and when it was diverted i'm pretty sure NX did say it was a long time diversion but hopefully it goes back down the old route pretty sure it saves journey time too
That makes sense.

Though I guess some people will probably miss the stop by Tesco on Coleshill Road, as there's normally people waiting with shopping bags in it for the 55, they'll have to cross over the road and get it on the other side, but not a big inconvenience I guess.
And also of note a small number of people will lose the 4 min frequency they've been having.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SK68MEV

Quote from: 2206 on May 08, 2021, 11:50:22 PM
That makes sense.

Though I guess some people will probably miss the stop by Tesco on Coleshill Road, as there's normally people waiting with shopping bags in it for the 55, they'll have to cross over the road and get it on the other side, but not a big inconvenience I guess.
And also of note a small number of people will lose the 4 min frequency they've been having.
they will only need to cross the road and make their way to the stop outside aldi not a big inconvenience like you said and there still is the 94 serving that stretch and not many people normally do board the 55 out bound on coleshill road anyway whenever i board it but it would be much better if it went back down the old route in my opinion giving the residents that live on stechford road their old bus route back
Local Routes
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

MasterPlan

6886 sounding worse than ever right now. Not sure why it's making that sound but it doesn't sound healthy.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk