News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 08:12:07 PM
Its only a minute walk away, just round the corner, so your complaining for the sake of it.
And they were complaining online saying buses take to long to get round there before and that they should bypass the QE, then as soon as NX move them they decide to complain saying some people will not be able to manage the walk. You can't please everybody, and it seems you are complaining for the sake of it.

Alas, the public seem to think you can...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

V89MOA

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 08:12:07 PM
Its only a minute walk away, just round the corner, so your complaining for the sake of it.
And they were complaining online saying buses take to long to get round there before and that they should bypass the QE, then as soon as NX move them they decide to complain saying some people will not be able to manage the walk. You can't please everybody, and it seems you are complaining for the sake of it.
Just about every one should be able to manage a minutes walk, buses don't stop outside the entrance of every single location there is, people often and already have to walk the last bit in lots of cases.

So thats what the timetable say, it doesn't change anything and it is still only a minutes walk away.
It stops close enough to the QE.

Have I actually complained? No.... I think you might want read things more carefully before jumping into an argument.

The timetable reference is a perfectly valid point btw if it says university station on the timetable then they are surely less likely to emphasise the QE on the branding, seeing as that's actually what was being debated, nothing to do with distances or paths.... Before sniping try and think about what people are saying.

On that note it would actually be a good suggestion there for NX perhaps a little (change here for QE hospital) would be a good idea on the timetable, seeing as people from all over the West Midlands get referrals to the QE for various reasons.

Quote from: V89MOA on July 11, 2018, 08:35:58 PM
Have I actually complained? No.... I think you might want read things more carefully before jumping into an argument.

The timetable reference is a perfectly valid point btw if it says university station on the timetable then they are surely less likely to emphasise the QE on the branding, seeing as that's actually what was being debated, nothing to do with distances or paths.... Before sniping try and think about what people are saying.

On that note it would actually be a good suggestion there for NX perhaps a little (change here for QE hospital) would be a good idea on the timetable, seeing as people from all over the West Midlands get referrals to the QE for various reasons.
I did read what you said and I don't see the problem with advertising it goes to the QE when it stops so close to it.
There's no need to change buses when its only a 1 minute walk away!
By the time you could have waited 20 -30 minutes for the 48, you'd have walked it.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

V89MOA

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 09:18:13 PM
I did read what you said.
By the time you could have waited 20 -30 minutes for the 48, you'd have walked it.
I didn't mean change onto another bus for crying out loud I meant change as in alight... Some people ::)

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 09:18:13 PM
I did read what you said and I don't see the problem with advertising it goes to the QE when it stops so close to it.
For some people it may not take a minute walk, like an elderly person who isn't very fast and could take over a minute to walk it.

I agree, a simple 'Change here for the QE Hospital' on the Platinums wouldn't go amiss.

Quote from: Jack on July 11, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
For some people it may not take a minute walk, like an elderly person who isn't very fast and could take over a minute to walk it.

I agree, a simple 'Change here for the QE Hospital' on the Platinums wouldn't go amiss.
But they should still manage.
The bus more than likely didn't stop directly outside the destination where they were coming from either.
If they can't manage it then that's what the ring and ride is for.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

V89MOA

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 09:29:07 PM
But they should still manage.
The bus more than likely won't stop outside where they got on either.

If they can't manage it then thats what the ring and ride is for.
What an appalling thing to say.

Sh4318

If a route is advertised to serve a certain place, than it should serve that place, simple as that really.

4906 is missing part of its branding for the 45/47, will the branding be tweaked to include Longbridge?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Quote from: V89MOA on July 11, 2018, 09:39:47 PM
No its not, what I mean is, the X20 is not a door to door service, if its a door to door service you want then thats what ring and ride is for. Ring and Ride is a door to door service.
Its a 1 minute walk, only 1 minute, just a few steps, there are very few who wouldn't be able to manage to move such a short distance, if it was longer then i'd understand.
The bus doesn't pick them up from the door of there home they have to walk to the bus stop, its exactly the same thing they have to walk from the bus stop to the door of the hospital.
And even if anyone can't manage that there is a door to door service in place for that (ring and ride), to help them to get about, as in that circumstance they'd clearly find public transport inaccessible.

Quote from: V89MOA on July 11, 2018, 06:03:37 PM
It would seem a bit of a slap in the face if they highlight the QE too much considering the routes won't really be stopping at the QE!
Your complaining that it won't be stopping at the QE, when they're only stopping round the corner.
Its not a door to door service.
At Heartlands Hospital the 28/73/97 don't drop you of at the door of the hospital and you have to walk down to the entrance and everyone seems to manage that fine. You certainly don't see people complaining about it, as it only takes a minute.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: V89MOA on July 11, 2018, 09:39:47 PM
I agree - so disgraceful and appalling that all the elderly have to rely on Ring and Ride as it's door to door...

P419 EJW

All current route brandings have places where buses serve and do go through these places advertised. Passengers will expect buses to go to these places; and they may not want to walk even if it's one minute away from a place, they would want to arrive and get off right there. As for the Q.E Hospital, it's up to people if they want to get off couple of stops before the bus stops in the interchange at the Hospital and walk, fine. Although, a number of passengers will expect the buses to go to the interchange at the Q.E Hospital. Or else, there would be disgruntled passengers asking drivers "Err... Why are you not going to the Q.E?" and they may write their frustrations on National Express West Midlands Facebook page or through the complaints procedure on the NXbus website.

V89MOA

Quote from: 2206 on July 11, 2018, 10:07:55 PM
No its not, what I mean is, the X20 is not a door to door service, if its a door to door service you want then thats what ring and ride is for. Ring and Ride is a door to door service.
Its a 1 minute walk, only 1 minute, just a few steps, there are very few who wouldn't be able to manage to move such a short distance, if it was longer then i'd understand.
The bus doesn't pick them up from the door of there home they have to walk to the bus stop, its exactly the same thing they have to walk from the bus stop to the door of the hospital.
And even if anyone can't manage that there is a door to door service in place for that (ring and ride), to help them to get about, as in that circumstance they'd clearly find public transport inaccessible.
Your complaining that it won't be stopping at the QE, when they're only stopping round the corner.
Its not a door to door service.
At Heartlands Hospital the 28/73/97 don't drop you of at the door of the hospital and you have to walk down to the entrance and everyone seems to manage that fine. You certainly don't see people complaining about it, as it only takes a minute.
Well I wasn't going to go down this road at all but seeing as you won't let it drop.....

Ring and ride which is a service primarily aimed at local older people? A service which the majority of standard bus users know nothing about? Don't be so absurd, it is not always possible to book a ring and ride anyway. Very few people who won't manage? You don't know then that Many military personnel have to visit the QE too, ex troops who may have missing limbs for example and on the ground floor behind the blood test clinic there is a section where they deal with people who have arthritis or joint problems. I know from experience that MANY of those are not elderly or "old", people for who every step means constant pain, so yes what to you may be a 1 minute walk (never going to happen btw while you're waiting for the crossing) for them is 10 minutes of slow pain. So yes I do find your comment appalling that so many people should just accept it because of the Ring and Ride, it is judgemental and ignorant... That is without all the people who get referred for X rays who don't even know why they are in pain! You are missing the point too that people catch the X64 and 98 from the outer residential edges too, not just the city centre. I see loads of people changing from their local bus in Northfield onto the 98. The fact is most people will not get ring and ride if the bus is no longer convenient, a lot will just put up with it, but the obvious option for most people for who it means struggling and pain is to take a taxi, thus the problem with the road being blocked is just staggered even more.

How the heck am I complaining? I made an OBSERVATION.... I couldn't care less if it goes the quicker way in fact I personally would welcome it as it means faster through journeys for me, but for some reason you are twisting everything I say to make it seem like I have said this route change is a bad thing... I was making a point regarding Branding not routing... As I said try reading what people say PROPERLY before going in all cocky because you look foolish. ::)

BigDaddyCool

Well, the WMR announcements say "University, for the QE Hospital"... So, I think branding that says for the QE is more than acceptable and justified!

I can't tell you how glad I am that certain buses won't be getting caught up in that awful system right outside the QE. The stops outside the university station are more than adequate, and I'm afraid if people are complaining they can't do the walk, they should be thinking of getting a taxi.

V89MOA

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on July 12, 2018, 12:07:37 AM
Well, the WMR announcements say "University, for the QE Hospital"... So, I think branding that says for the QE is more than acceptable and justified!

I can't tell you how glad I am that certain buses won't be getting caught up in that awful system right outside the QE. The stops outside the university station are more than adequate, and I'm afraid if people are complaining they can't do the walk, they should be thinking of getting a taxi.
The railways nearly always have a walk of some kind though, that is expected. With local Buses people expect buses to properly serve where they are branded for. I'd personally say the Branding would be acceptable if the QE didn't already have a closer bus interchange, that's where I see the confusion coming from. If you're travelling from town then by the time you realise your bus is carrying on, it's too late because you're half way to Selly Oak. That is also why the Heartlands argument above is irrelevant as the buses all still stop in the same place together and you don't need to worry.
I will say this though the last thing the QE needs is more taxis, although not everyone using the bus can afford them anyway!
I'm amazed it's even been allowed to come to this, the people running the hospital, and the council, could have nipped this problem in the bud by now but instead just do nothing. I do wonder how long the current road layout will last though now, surely this has got to serve (I really hope it does) as a wake up call that things are not working.

CL

In regards to the branding on 6858, it looks a little sparse to me. Perhaps it's because it's not completed yet? One thing's for sure, at least it's not green. :P

A little ambitious, but I'd have liked to have seen a different colour scheme. Red's nice, but it's already been featured on the X12. My colour of choice would've been orange. Tacky, maybe, but orange as a nod to the old 'Network Harborne' branding; one that I was too young to remember, but have seen in photographs...

Just my twopence.

Additionally, a query: Any chance that we'll see any branded examples out in service within the next week? I'm flying off on (quite a long) holiday very soon, and I'd like to have an opportunity to get some photos if/while I can. Thanks. :)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk