News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: clayderman on September 09, 2016, 04:14:56 PM
Buses are all allocated to routes, yes, but I don't think that calls for every single bus of the same calibre to be branded for strictly one/ a set of route(s). It's like saying why isn't all the Enviro 400Hs all branded for the 1? Because they're bound to show up on another route now and then. Maybe less so at BC but hybrids have appeared elsewhere; including the 14(E), 97, 957, etc..

Yeah but they can still be used on other routes if they're branded, as you see it all the time. Just figured they would be is all. The only other routes I've seen them on are 126 and once on the X64.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 09, 2016, 06:06:48 PM
Yeah but they can still be used on other routes if they're branded, as you see it all the time. Just figured they would be is all. The only other routes I've seen them on are 126 and once on the X64.
The 126 is operated by WN.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Adam 404

Yeah but they can still be used on other routes if they're branded, as you see it all the time. Just figured they would be is all.
This would make branding become irrelevant and unhelpful. Also, if you made all buses branded, then what would spare buses be branded for?

CL

Quote from: 2206 on September 09, 2016, 07:51:32 PM
The 126 is operated by WN.
Nevertheless, when WN operated the B5LHs, they had appeared on the 126 from time to time. Having said that, I can only assume that @MasterPlan could've meant the Hybrid fleet as a whole?

I think I understand where you're coming from.. I believe (when) branding is smart, clear & legible - it serves as a really helpful tool for the operator's customers. On the other hand, I'd also say that branding should be kept to a minimum.

As you've mentioned, they can still be used on other routes. However, you wouldn't believe the amount of times buses off their branded routes has caused confusion amongst people. My *stubborn* friend had refused to believe me when I said that the 24 was not running at an "Every 7 Minutes" frequency - claiming he saw it on the bus; turns out it was a 14 branded bus..

I seem to remember this article (prior to the introduction of Platinums) about a someone who had caught a 59(?), thinking it was the 957 because of the branding...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

Quote from: Adam 404 on September 09, 2016, 08:17:34 PM
This would make branding become irrelevant and unhelpful. Also, if you made all buses branded, then what would spare buses be branded for?

I didn't think the Hybrids were 'spares' though? I thought Tridents, E400s were used as spares.

MasterPlan

Quote from: clayderman on September 09, 2016, 08:19:46 PM
I think I understand where you're coming from.. I believe (when) branding is smart, clear & legible - it serves as a really helpful tool for the operator's customers. On the other hand, I'd also say that branding should be kept to a minimum.

As you've mentioned, they can still be used on other routes. However, you wouldn't believe the amount of times buses off their branded routes has caused confusion amongst people. My *stubborn* friend had refused to believe me when I said that the 24 was not running at an "Every 7 Minutes" frequency - claiming he saw it on the bus; turns out it was a 14 branded bus..

I seem to remember this article (prior to the introduction of Platinums) about a someone who had caught a 59(?), thinking it was the 957 because of the branding...

To be honest though, if you can't spot that it says 59 on the front of the bus (or the back, or the side) then it's your own fault in all honesty. Branded buses on other routes isn't exactly a new thing anymore. As for the 24 scenario, again it clearly says "14" next to the every 7 mins, so I don't understand what the problem is there either. I guessed that maybe eventually most routes would be branded in some fashion, but maybe not. Which is a shame, because as you say, when it's done properly it looks smart.

Mike K

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 09, 2016, 09:48:13 PM
I didn't think the Hybrids were 'spares' though? I thought Tridents, E400s were used as spares.

Correct, the 'spare' Hybrids are used on the 24, also a Harborne route, with the bulk of them on the 22/23.

The original question by MasterPlan is reasonable. The B5s spend 99% of their time on Harborne routes; of every vehicle type in the current fleet, they probably stray the least. For most batches of buses for a specific route or group of routes, it's not unusual for 70 to 80% to be branded, with the B5s it's only 50%.

V89MOA

One reason could be forward planning, if for whatever reason they move to another route, they wouldn't have to be rebranded. Plus they can be used on other routes as emergency spares.

Mike K

Quote from: V89MOA on September 09, 2016, 11:48:26 PM
One reason could be forward planning, if for whatever reason they move to another route, they wouldn't have to be rebranded. Plus they can be used on other routes as emergency spares.

You could say that about any route that has branded vehicles. The norm is to have the majority branded. They are hardly ever used on other routes as emergency spares - 'spares' tend to be used on the 24 which operates the same route to Harborne, so the branding is still applicable.

V89MOA

Yeah but they aren't specially route branded anyway, they are just corridor branded so there is flexibility for the 24 and even 29. Another thing to remember is that the original lot were never branded anyway, when the ex Wolves Volvos moved over they were just making use of the leftover 1 branding. Just like now the 529 tridents are becoming pink 10s.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on September 09, 2016, 11:15:03 PM
Correct, the 'spare' Hybrids are used on the 24, also a Harborne route, with the bulk of them on the 22/23.

The original question by MasterPlan is reasonable. The B5s spend 99% of their time on Harborne routes; of every vehicle type in the current fleet, they probably stray the least. For most batches of buses for a specific route or group of routes, it's not unusual for 70 to 80% to be branded, with the B5s it's only 50%.

Yeah exactly. There doesn't seem to as much that are branded as with others. And as you say they get used on the 24 and 29 as apares.usually so it's still Harborne.

The Real 4778

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 09, 2016, 09:52:31 PM
To be honest though, if you can't spot that it says 59 on the front of the bus (or the back, or the side) then it's your own fault in all honesty.

I'm sure the Eye Hospital guys would be interested to hear your progressive views.  8)
Don't you start.

MasterPlan

Quote from: The Real 4778 on September 14, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
I'm sure the Eye Hospital guys would be interested to hear your progressive views.  8)

Well there's always glasses or contact lenses. No need to be snide.

MasterPlan

How come the Hybrids are never being used to help out the 29? I'm on yet another packed single decker right now. They seem to get put on the 24 regularly when that route is practically all deckers as it is

CL

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 14, 2016, 04:00:25 PM
How come the Hybrids are never being used to help out the 29? I'm on yet another packed single decker right now. They seem to get put on the 24 regularly when that route is practically all deckers as it is
5515 is on there, or at least had been this morning. Not sure of its whereabouts since then.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk