News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Quickest runs on routes

Started by nitromatt1, June 23, 2013, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: The Rat on June 24, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
As with most bus timetables now, you don't get enough time with the volume of traffic. I'm against Summer Timetables for this reason you don't get enough time to do the job properly. All routes should have enough time to drive to A standard. Sadly, hardly any do. According to a mate of mine who deals with scheduling - its regarding averages of a bus driving at 12MPH from start to finish without stopping. That was concluded back in the fifties. I'd guess now the average speed is less; but they haven't dealt with it in the same fashion.

Nice to know there is still routes of which you can get time back with 'spirited' driving haha, cheers stu!

It's a shame that NXWM no longer operate the 30, Diamond do.

This was of course an exception. For whatever reason I cannot explain, the NXWM 30 was frequently late out of garage on Saturday morning (and thus I'd frequently give up and jump on a 37 to Solihull instead to join the 6/76), but does not top the B6LE I once caught that despite leaving Acocks Green Village on time on the S3 made me 15 minutes late for work because it broke down TWICE once on Prospect Lane, and secondly on Blenheim Road, at which point I got off and walked from Longmore Road to Cranmore.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

I once caught the 141 from Merry Hill to Bearwood in 35 minutes, although this was the last one of the day, which could explain why
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on June 24, 2013, 07:58:14 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 24, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
As with most bus timetables now, you don't get enough time with the volume of traffic. I'm against Summer Timetables for this reason you don't get enough time to do the job properly. All routes should have enough time to drive to A standard. Sadly, hardly any do. According to a mate of mine who deals with scheduling - its regarding averages of a bus driving at 12MPH from start to finish without stopping. That was concluded back in the fifties. I'd guess now the average speed is less; but they haven't dealt with it in the same fashion.

Nice to know there is still routes of which you can get time back with 'spirited' driving haha, cheers stu!

It's a shame that NXWM no longer operate the 30, Diamond do.

This was of course an exception. For whatever reason I cannot explain, the NXWM 30 was frequently late out of garage on Saturday morning (and thus I'd frequently give up and jump on a 37 to Solihull instead to join the 6/76), but does not top the B6LE I once caught that despite leaving Acocks Green Village on time on the S3 made me 15 minutes late for work because it broke down TWICE once on Prospect Lane, and secondly on Blenheim Road, at which point I got off and walked from Longmore Road to Cranmore.

Oh I see about the 30. I'm rarely over that side so my knowledge is limited.

You're joking?! You've quite the history, Stu. When you say breakdown, over heating or what?

I'd probably guess that it was late leaving garage due to failed to start in the morning or a queue for water. There's a million and one reasons I suppose.

Showing my age a bit now but Another story I remember was years ago when on the (as a passenger) 45 - and from Cotteridge to John Bright Street 22minutes. Back in the day!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

The videos I have on you tube of the 14 and 37 were both done in under 30 minutes end to end

Ash

Rat im not a kid and theres ways of saying things im not having a go just suprised with what you intially said about going off topic

Trident 4609

Quote from: Ash on June 24, 2013, 09:45:39 PM
Rat im not a kid and theres ways of saying things im not having a go just suprised with what you intially said about going off topic

i would just leave it if i were you because you know you have done nothing bad.

Anyway back on topic how long does it take to do the full 126 in the evening?

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

danny

I have been on the last 126 from wolves to brum in past, and due to running late, the trident thrashed the route out in just over 60 minutes, was very impressed, so much so I caught the first bua back next day lol,
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

nitromatt1

Not sure if it's a record but I did the full 900 (Pool Meadow - Moor Street) in 58 minutes this evening, certainly felt fast. Bus was 4390

John

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 24, 2013, 10:56:52 PM
Not sure if it's a record but I did the full 900 (Pool Meadow - Moor Street) in 58 minutes this evening, certainly felt fast. Bus was 4390

That is good going Matt! When I used to get the 900 (I use the train now, 19 mins) it would take anything over an hour and 10 mins and up to 90 minutes

vinh1000

Off Topic a bit but the 82 entered COV 5 mins late and got to Solihull in 30 minutes (usuailly takes 45 according to timetable)
Bus flys down those country roads :P
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Ash

For me the 82 is the quickest bus route for speed you can travel on within the West Midlands those citaro's fly down the country roads and quickly get to 60mph on the A45.

John

Quote from: vinh1000 on June 25, 2013, 05:44:01 PM
Off Topic a bit but the 82 entered COV 5 mins late and got to Solihull in 30 minutes (usuailly takes 45 according to timetable)

One of the best routes I have been on the old 19X/W and the NXC 82, when it used to go through Tile Hill, Balsall Common and the other villages, some very tight lanes as well, especially one time where the 2 buses met each other!

Rob H

Quote from: John on June 25, 2013, 10:11:14 PM
Quote from: vinh1000 on June 25, 2013, 05:44:01 PM

One of the best routes I have been on the old 19X/W and the NXC 82, when it used to go through Tile Hill, Balsall Common and the other villages, some very tight lanes as well, especially one time where the 2 buses met each other!

I'm like you John I went on that to cov when NXC Operated it a number of times I completely agree with you One of the best routes :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

JPC

OK, this may be before some peoples time but...
One Saturday afternoon about 18 years ago I got a 900 at St Martins Circus to Coventry, Pool Meadow, one of those [H*** LOM] Scania double deckers, it must of been about 30 minutes late when we boarded because it took a few short cuts, straight to Digbeth, missing out Ladywell Walk and Edgbaston St, it overtook a rammed Metrobus at about Adderley St, then missed out serving Birmingham International. It was epic getting to Pool Meadow in a little over 40 minutes! or Fairfax Street I should say as most buses were then setting down outside the new Pool Meadow. I loved the those quick Scanias but they weren't on the 900 very much. The daytime 900 journey in that direction was scheduled about 65 minutes then but United Counties X64 and Foxhound X66 had journeys of around 45-50 minutes.

Quote from: John on June 25, 2013, 03:28:06 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 24, 2013, 10:56:52 PM

That is good going Matt! When I used to get the 900 (I use the train now, 19 mins) it would take anything over an hour and 10 mins and up to 90 minutes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk