News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Which Of the depot's is facing the most capacity issues.

Started by monkeyjoe, June 18, 2013, 06:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Quote from: Winston on June 19, 2013, 11:24:39 PM
Quote from: Gareth on June 19, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
At 90 years old, I believe it was the oldest operational garage in the company. It was also one of the smallest. All of its routes and fleet were easily transferred to other garages. Best garage ever was Washwood Heath!

Gareth,

I'd have to disagree there, for me it was Quinton  ;)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :-)

The Real 4778

Has to be Sutton, ex-Midland Red.  With its broad frontage onto Holland Road, and the route in, around the back, across the little concrete and brick bridge over the Ebrook.
Don't you start.

Tony

As someone who has worked at 27 different garages, my favourite three in order are the the mentioned above,
1 Sutton coldfield
2 Washwood Heath
3 Quinton

winston

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2013, 02:25:32 PM
As someone who has worked at 27 different garages, my favourite three in order are the the mentioned above,
1 Sutton coldfield
2 Washwood Heath
3 Quinton

Gareth, we're both in the top three  ;)

Mike K

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2013, 02:25:32 PM
1 Sutton coldfield
2 Washwood Heath
3 Quinton

Sadly all now extinct. Presumably it was a better job in those days with local community based smaller depots rather than today's faceless super-garages?
I always liked Cotteridge, Selly Oak and Harborne, my local depots as a kid.

The Real 4778

Sutton garage, seen from a very busy Holland Road, in pre-by-pass days.  Part 2 of a video shot in 1983, with some classic vehicles, then completely typical of the era, causing the buses some difficulty leaving.  An old people's home defiles the site today.

Don't you start.

Mike K

That's interesting, I hadn't realised the road could be that busy. That Mk2 metro must have been 10 minutes late before it had even left the garage!

The Real 4778

It's only remotely as busy these days around school run time at Plantsbrook.  Or when the diversions are in place for the Fun Run etc.

Although I lived locally right through the creation of the ring road, I don't remember that at all.  Where the horrible Newhall Walk car park and few large stores are, I seem to remember narrow back streets with meter parking, little run down garages and traders with a bit of character.  Problem was I was away at Uni about then, and missed the great transformation.
Don't you start.

Stuharris 6360

Stourbridge, Hart's Hill & Dudley garages were all closed within a few years, with services being operated by Quinton & West Brom for a while.

To me it was such a shame, Stourbridge garage was to me quite unique, with services departing & terminating within the garage (245/6 256/7 S92/3 & 250 off the top of my head). You could buy drinks & chocolate from machines and watch what was going on within the garage area. Doubt it would be allowed these days with the Health & Safety rules in force, but it did give you the chance to see so many different types of vehicle in use at that time.

My favourites were the D9s and i was so upset when hey were removed from the 130 in the July 1977 service review. I could understand why, the 130 was a long route with steep hills to climb and the D9s weren't young buses, but then was overjoyed when the 294/8/9 were allocated them.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 20, 2013, 06:58:29 PM
Stourbridge, Hart's Hill & Dudley garages were all closed within a few years, with services being operated by Quinton & West Brom for a while.

To me it was such a shame, Stourbridge garage was to me quite unique, with services departing & terminating within the garage (245/6 256/7 S92/3 & 250 off the top of my head). You could buy drinks & chocolate from machines and watch what was going on within the garage area. Doubt it would be allowed these days with the Health & Safety rules in force, but it did give you the chance to see so many different types of vehicle in use at that time.

My favourites were the D9s and i was so upset when hey were removed from the 130 in the July 1977 service review. I could understand why, the 130 was a long route with steep hills to climb and the D9s weren't young buses, but then was overjoyed when the 294/8/9 were allocated them.

Stu,

Don't forget Metrowest at Pensnett & Delph garages took on some of Hartshill Garage routes

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on June 20, 2013, 09:04:32 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 20, 2013, 06:58:29 PM

Stu,

Don't forget Metrowest at Pensnett & Delph garages took on some of Hartshill Garage routes

Of course Winston, had forgotten about Metrowest. Don't ever remember Delph Garages.

Its amazing how those 3 garages can be replaced by one now, PE.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 04:49:19 PM

Me and you both!! On Harborne tomorrow, I may see you  ;)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:12:08 PM

I shall look out for a giant rodent driving my bus tomorrow  :)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 10:27:30 PM

Hahahahaha!!!

Not on till 1pm so I could be driving you home lol  ;) (As with most rodents we like to sleep in the day lol)

Bit of pain we cant speak on the platform but we'll keep banter to the forum, saves getting anyone the sack...
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 10:27:30 PM

Hahahahaha!!!

Not on till 1pm so I could be driving you home lol  ;) (As with most rodents we like to sleep in the day lol)

Bit of pain we cant speak on the platform but we'll keep banter to the forum, saves getting anyone the sack...

Ah yes, another sight that's now a thing of the past, the bus driver's 'groupie' stood on the platform wittering away to the driver all journey. Most of them looked like weirdos. The passengers on the platform that is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk