News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Which Of the depot's is facing the most capacity issues.

Started by monkeyjoe, June 18, 2013, 06:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 20, 2013, 09:17:19 PM
Quote from: Winston on June 20, 2013, 09:04:32 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 20, 2013, 06:58:29 PM
Stourbridge, Hart's Hill & Dudley garages were all closed within a few years, with services being operated by Quinton & West Brom for a while.

To me it was such a shame, Stourbridge garage was to me quite unique, with services departing & terminating within the garage (245/6 256/7 S92/3 & 250 off the top of my head). You could buy drinks & chocolate from machines and watch what was going on within the garage area. Doubt it would be allowed these days with the Health & Safety rules in force, but it did give you the chance to see so many different types of vehicle in use at that time.

My favourites were the D9s and i was so upset when hey were removed from the 130 in the July 1977 service review. I could understand why, the 130 was a long route with steep hills to climb and the D9s weren't young buses, but then was overjoyed when the 294/8/9 were allocated them.

Stu,

Don't forget Metrowest at Pensnett & Delph garages took on some of Hartshill Garage routes

Of course Winston, had forgotten about Metrowest. Don't ever remember Delph Garages.

Its amazing how those 3 garages can be replaced by one now, PE.

Delph garage was on the industrial estate with a steep road down to it which backed on to the canal. It was right near the end of the delph where it meets Brettell Lane.

Quite a few routes have been lost since those days. WMT/TWM's fleet used to number 1800 ish, now its around 1540 ish

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 10:27:30 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:12:08 PM
Quote from: Mike K on June 20, 2013, 04:49:19 PM
I always liked Cotteridge, Selly Oak and Harborne, my local depots as a kid.

Me and you both!! On Harborne tomorrow, I may see you  ;)

I shall look out for a giant rodent driving my bus tomorrow  :)

Hahahahaha!!!

Not on till 1pm so I could be driving you home lol  ;) (As with most rodents we like to sleep in the day lol)

Bit of pain we cant speak on the platform but we'll keep banter to the forum, saves getting anyone the sack...

Ah yes, another sight that's now a thing of the past, the bus driver's 'groupie' stood on the platform wittering away to the driver all journey. Most of them looked like weirdos.

Speaking about yourself there, Mike? (haha)
Unless they're a busty brunette. They're probably worth getting the boot for. As long as I get something in return lol  ;D

With 223 buses BC is far from full capacity. (Did this pass off as a pathetic excuse to get back on topic?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:41:16 PM

With 223 buses BC is far from full capacity. (Did this pass off as a pathetic excuse to get back on topic?

The Rat,

Any idea how many buses BC could accommodate?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on June 21, 2013, 10:49:48 AM

The Rat,

I'm sure I've read or heard that BC could fit around 240 easily. When I'm on earlies or late nights and you see the garage "full" there is still space available. Not only that but if they use the path around the edge of Adderley Street, they could fit a further 15 or so additional buses. The garage is massive. Remember they also park buses on the pumps and over pits so it all counts.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 10:56:12 AM

The Rat,

I'm sure I've read or heard that BC could fit around 240 easily. When I'm on earlies or late nights and you see the garage "full" there is still space available. Not only that but if they use the path around the edge of Adderley Street, they could fit a further 15 or so additional buses. The garage is massive. Remember they also park buses on the pumps and over pits so it all counts.

Thanks for that, I knew it was big, but was under the impression that capacity may have reduced since parking lanes/walkways had all been marked out in the main depot

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on June 21, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

The Rat,

Thanks for that, I knew it was big, but was under the impression that capacity may have reduced since parking lanes/walkways had all been marked out in the main depot

I don't think overall space was reduced that much since the walk ways
You're only talking centimeters anyway.

If anything the garage feels even bigger with everything having an even space, looks less crowded - even though were 9 enviros up!
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 11:39:30 AM

The Rat,

If anything the garage feels even bigger with everything having an even space, looks less crowded - even though were 9 enviros up!

The Rat,

The clear walkways between the marked out parking lanes on Tony's photos of the BC's new Enviros parked in the main BC yard, appear to be around 2ft - 2.5ft wide, at some garages buses could be parked with wing mirrors practically touching....

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4700-4879/4901.html

Mike K

Well I did look out for you Rat but my bus home this evening is 5508 from Colmore Row at 17.17, driven by a regular on this rota dating back to the days of Quinton garage. He certainly doesn't hang around either! What bus are / were you driving?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on June 21, 2013, 01:30:17 PM

The Rat,

The Rat,

The clear walkways between the marked out parking lanes on Tony's photos of the BC's new Enviros parked in the main BC yard, appear to be around 2ft - 2.5ft wide, at some garages buses could be parked with wing mirrors practically touching....

Whats your point, Winston? You'd only gain, at best, an additional line of buses (about 4). Remember there is a skip at either side with a marked out section which has been used to accomodate the gaps. So really there isn't much of a differance.

I used the word "centimeters" as a bit of hyperbole, y'know.. exaggeration for added effect - internet forums and all...

Quote from: Mike K on June 21, 2013, 05:27:08 PM

Well I did look out for you Rat but my bus home this evening is 5508 from Colmore Row at 17.17, driven by a regular on this rota dating back to the days of Quinton garage. He certainly doesn't hang around either! What bus are / were you driving?

Ahh! Now that would be telling..  ;)

I'll message you my friend.

Best Regards,

The Rat
until it cought fire

richie

The Rat,

The Rat,

That's certainly the case at PN 3 buses at least parked outside every night as there is no room

Liverpool Street

Quote from: richie on June 21, 2013, 10:34:40 PM

The Rat,

The Rat,

That's certainly the case at PN 3 buses at least parked outside every night as there is no room

Yeah but Richie you haven't added anything of value to the discussion.

And Winston, upon re-reading your post, cant you see the obvious issues with wing mirrors being that close? I dont think you realise the amount of incidents happen by just leaving the yard.
until it cought fire

richie

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

The Rat,

The Rat,

And Winston, upon re-reading your post, cant you see the obvious issues with wing mirrors being that close? I dont think you realise the amount of incidents happen by just leaving the yard.

My bit of value was PN has no room to park it's complete allocation within the garage space.

winston

The Rat,

The Rat,

The Rat,

I don't have any issues with wing mirrors virtually touching. The comment refers to how close buses were parked in garages before H&S dictated otherwise. With the gaps between buses now parked in marked parking bays, for every 5-6 rows of buses you now lose a lane due to the size of gaps hence the topic of this thread excluding BC which you've already said has room to spare. But Richie's comments regarding PN say otherwise at other garages

nitromatt1

If you want to see buses parked 'cosily' together look at the rear of the Green Bus yard!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on June 22, 2013, 01:13:51 AM

The Rat,

The Rat,

The Rat,

I don't have any issues with wing mirrors virtually touching. The comment refers to how close buses were parked in garages before H&S dictated otherwise. With the gaps between buses now parked in marked parking bays, for every 5-6 rows of buses you now lose a lane due to the size of gaps hence the topic of this thread excluding BC which you've already said has room to spare. But Richie's comments regarding PN say otherwise at other garages

Ahh, I see. Makes sense now mate. And if I'm honest, if drivers received garage driving training (for instance bringing it out the bays etc) then I don't see the point of the lanes. Also, walk around checks should be done when pulling the bus forward out of the gap.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk