News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stu on March 03, 2014, 07:51:46 PM
Personally speaking, I don't know why such fuss is made about whether a bus has a Voith or ZF automatic gearbox; it's just a gearbox after all.

From a passenger's perspective, it doesn't really make any difference at all.

That is just my opinion. (It's like saying a Vauxhall Astra with an F17 gearbox is better than one with an F23 gearbox, the average driver/passenger couldn't tell the difference ;) )

It can make a massive difference to the passenger as, in general, Voith seem to give a much smoother change than ZF, and when a gearbox gives a jerk when it changes down when the vehicle is slowing it is possible to make some less agile have a fall

Stu

Thanks, I suppose that is true, however the average passenger might just think the bus was being driven badly, rather than through any quirk of the automatic transmission that was installed.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mranon

i wish zf would sort the jerkyness out. i prefer them over voith as in a trident, b7 etc they dont work the engine so hard and change up and down better. they also reverse properly too!!

Tony

Quote from: Stu on March 03, 2014, 08:16:04 PM
Thanks, I suppose that is true, however the average passenger might just think the bus was being driven badly, rather than through any quirk of the automatic transmission that was installed.

Which is why I prefer Voith to drive!

trident4370

The gearbox is the whole life and soul of the bus, much more than 'just a part'... Apart from Cosmetics, and of course gearbox, there is no difference between these 2 buses:
  , Yet one sings, and the other just hums and jolts...
4698 itself isn't as bad as some buses currently in the fleet, but it would have been an amazing vehicle had it been a Voith.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: trident4370 on March 03, 2014, 09:51:00 PM
The gearbox is the whole life and soul of the bus, much more than 'just a part'... Apart from Cosmetics, and of course gearbox, there is no difference between these 2 buses:
4698 itself isn't as bad as some buses currently in the fleet, but it would have been an amazing vehicle had it been a Voith.

Between those two videos... I just can hear crappy plastic? No soul at all. IMHO.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

trident4370

Quote from: Liverpool Street on March 04, 2014, 02:24:35 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on March 03, 2014, 09:51:00 PM

Between those two videos... I just can hear crappy plastic? No soul at all. IMHO.

Isn't that the case with all new buses anyway ;) at least one actually makes a minor noise, the other one just exists.

John

Quote from: YWDriver on March 03, 2014, 03:23:57 PM
4698 out on the 50 today. Not sure if it is a loan or transfer.

Is it still at Yardley Wood today?

YWDriver

Yep out this afternoon on the twos and threes.

John

1922 taken out of service in Northfield this morning after suffering a broken window (the last one on the nearside). Looked like it had hit something rather than been bricked.

Swapped with 1928

filbus1

4725 and 4728 following each other on the 18.

Stu

Got my first glimpse of 4698 today, parked up just in Acocks Green village outside the Inn On The Green.

Looks very smart indeed, only the registration plate tells you the bus is 8 years old now, it doesn't look it!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

trident4370

4698, 4799 and 4370 all on 50 today (along with the green bus dart) for anyone hunting them down. 4727 is on 35 aswell for anyone who never got a photo before the accident.

Liberator9

Caught the 50 and 49 home today from Kings Heath to Solihull. The Green Bus Dart overtook us...bit annoying as never seen or been on it before. Wouldn't mind getting on 4698 at some point, although it may turn up on the 76E one morning.

trident4370

It may do one day, not entirely sure how common Enviros are on that board, you would probably know better than me! 4698 actually sounded quite rough when it pulled off today, not how it normally is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk