News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Started by John, May 21, 2013, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Quote from: Driver03 on May 22, 2013, 12:05:53 PM
I'm going to be fair here ;) . 1407 does look odd and I do agree that presentation could be better, but please consider this. Older buses are harder to maintain due to lack of parts, and yes in an ideal world all panels would match and be the same shade and colour etc. however these buses are never really out of service, some operate 24hrs a day now and the main priority is making sure the bus is in roadworthy condition and safe to be on the road. From my point of view I'd rather have a safe bus with mismatched panels than a bus that's not fit to be on the road.

In an ideal world we'd have a brand new fleet of buses every three years, however this costs a substantial amount and I highly doubt any bus manufacturer could complete such an order on a regular basis.

I'm not having a go at anyone, just offering an alternative point of view 8)

And one final note, it gives us all something to look out for and talk about, so it's win win ;D

Sorry I can't agree. Bus enthusiasts need to put their Joe Public hat on every now and then. What hope do we have of attracting a new breed of bus user when this is the image? Image is everything. A passenger doesn''t care that that it is a time served B10L with a nice sounding gearbox, they will just think it is a shed on wheels to be avoided. And it is no defence to say that they are running 24 hours a day. As for a bus being roadworthy and safe, that is a minimum requirement and not an achievement.

There is no defence for a company like NX putting a bus like this on the road. Indeed local management at many other companies would probably be seriously reprimanded for doing so. 

JB93

Quote from: andy on May 22, 2013, 03:27:13 PM
I'm going to be fair here ;) . 1407 does look odd and I do agree that presentation could be better, but please consider this. Older buses are harder to maintain due to lack of parts, and yes in an ideal world all panels would match and be the same shade and colour etc. however these buses are never really out of service, some operate 24hrs a day now and the main priority is making sure the bus is in roadworthy condition and safe to be on the road. From my point of view I'd rather have a safe bus with mismatched panels than a bus that's not fit to be on the road.

In an ideal world we'd have a brand new fleet of buses every three years, however this costs a substantial amount and I highly doubt any bus manufacturer could complete such an order on a regular basis.

And one final note, it gives us all something to look out for and talk about, so it's win win ;D

Sorry I can't agree. Bus enthusiasts need to put their Joe Public hat on every now and then. What hope do we have of attracting a new breed of bus user when this is the image? Image is everything. A passenger doesn''t care that that it is a time served B10L with a nice sounding gearbox, they will just think it is a shed on wheels to be avoided. And it is no defence to say that they are running 24 hours a day. As for a bus being roadworthy and safe, that is a minimum requirement and not an achievement.

There is no defence for a company like NX putting a bus like this on the road. Indeed local management at many other companies would probably be seriously reprimanded for doing so.

I see where you're coming from but as a regular bus user I don't think I've ever heard an everyday passenger comment on the appearance of a bus. I don't think they care as long as the bus is on time, and gets them from A to B. I'm sure when YW get the time they will sort out 1407 but for the time being they obviously need it to maintain the 27.

John

I also have a picture somewhere of 1412 looking like this, not as bad as 1407. The whole Middle panel is red with one of the headlights.

andy

Quote from: JB93 on May 22, 2013, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: andy on May 22, 2013, 03:27:13 PM

I see where you're coming from but as a regular bus user I don't think I've ever heard an everyday passenger comment on the appearance of a bus. I don't think they care as long as the bus is on time, and gets them from A to B. I'm sure when YW get the time they will sort out 1407 but for the time being they obviously need it to maintain the 27.

Yes but it's not the everyday bus passengers we're talking about, it's the people who have never used a bus. People who are already sceptical about the concept only to have their view reinforced by the sight of this.

ilovetea4370

I think the cost of bus travel would be more of an issue to newcomers than a simple matter of how a bus is painted!

nitromatt1

Quote from: trident4370 on May 22, 2013, 05:51:03 PM
I think the cost of bus travel would be more of an issue to newcomers than a simple matter of how a bus is painted!

I agree with you here. 99% of members of the public couldn't care less how the bus looks, as long as it says where they want to go on the front. For most enthusiasts, the sound, performance, reliability etc of the bus are more important than how it looks!

Trident 4609

I was thinking the same aswell. Although recently when a Spectra/trident and a B5LH turn up together on the 59 a fair few peoe have been waiting for the hybrid bus.

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Trident 4609 on May 22, 2013, 05:59:20 PM

I was thinking the same aswell. Although recently when a Spectra/trident and a B5LH turn up together on the 59 a fair few peoe have been waiting for the hybrid bus.

That could just be a case of going for the emptier one, something I do myself!

It does make me laugh though reading some of these comments, if somebody is pondering switching to public transport be it the car is too expensive or bus is easier, whatever. The first thing they are going to look at is "does the bus get me to where I want to go or will I need to change/will it be a hassle"? Second is going to be "well is the bus going to be cost effective for me"? They arent going to go on the street just to see how the buses are painted and say "NO! :O that bus has odd panels, I'm sticking with my car!" I'm not saying comments might not be made or thinking gosh that bus looks tatty, and I'm not saying that its acceptable for 1407 to look that bad, but really people aren't going to alter their plans just because buses are in service with odd coloured panels. Look at the state some other "independents" buses get let out in, but they still do well!

Trident 4609

Not really the hybrid was actually full and the spectra was busy.

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Trident 4609 on May 22, 2013, 06:04:25 PM
Not really the hybrid was actually full and the spectra was busy.

Well if both buses are just as bad I guess people will go for the "smarter" one...

andy

Quote from: trident4370 on May 22, 2013, 06:00:34 PM

It does make me laugh though reading some of these comments, if somebody is pondering switching to public transport be it the car is too expensive or bus is easier, whatever. The first thing they are going to look at is "does the bus get me to where I want to go or will I need to change/will it be a hassle"? Second is going to be "well is the bus going to be cost effective for me"? They arent going to go on the street just to see how the buses are painted and say "NO! :O that bus has odd panels, I'm sticking with my car!" I'm not saying comments might not be made or thinking gosh that bus looks tatty, and I'm not saying that its acceptable for 1407 to look that bad, but really people aren't going to alter their plans just because buses are in service with odd coloured panels. Look at the state some other "independents" buses get let out in, but they still do well!

I'm not saying people go and look at how a bus is painted. I am saying that image is a contributing factor, and a very significant one. As you say yourself, the independent operators often look tatty and unkept and consequently don't really attract passengers.

Believe me, things like this do influence people's choices.

And anyway, does the company have no pride? Regardless of any of this, they should not be happy to put junk like that on their services.

Trident 4609

I guess so. Most people are still surprised when a 'green bus' turns up on the WN 59. Even to me it still seem strange seeing hybrids along my route.

nitromatt1

Quote from: andy on May 22, 2013, 06:09:36 PM

I'm not saying people go and look at how a bus is painted. I am saying that image is a contributing factor, and a very significant one. As you say yourself, the independent operators often look tatty and unkept and consequently don't really attract passengers.

Andy anyway, does the company have no pride? Regardless of any of this, they should not be happy to put junk like that on their services.

B10's are not "junk"

ilovetea4370

Andy anyway, does the company have no pride? Regardless of any of this, they should not be happy to put junk like that on their services.

That's not true, Joe's Travel's buses look rather old and tatty yet they seem to be doing very well on the 11, the same can be said for Sunny Travel on the 71E too.

I think the companies priority is (and should be) getting a bus out in working order rather than keeping it in for a repaint whilst having to cancel a service.

B10s, junk? That "junk" costs more than any average car!

andy

Quote from: trident4370 on May 22, 2013, 06:11:58 PM

That's not true, Joe's Travel's buses look rather old and tatty yet they seem to be doing very well on the 11, the same can be said for Sunny Travel on the 71E too.

I think the companies priority is (and should be) getting a bus out in working order rather than keeping it in for a repaint whilst having to cancel a service.

B10s, junk? That "junk" costs more than any average car!

I give up.  Sorry, but a 16 year old bus that's been round the block several times (and looks like it has been) in this state operating a key bus route on the streets of the second city for supposedly one of the leading operators in the country is not the future of public transport. It should have been put to pasture a good while ago.

If it was a one off I wouldn't bother to comment but I'm afraid NX has form for this sort of stuff time and time again, it's really sloppy stuff. A company of it's position should be aspiring to innovate and set the standard, not make do and mend just to get a service out. I'm sorry but they should be past that level by now.

Take your rose tinted glasses off, that's all I ask.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk