News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Driver03 on February 19, 2013, 10:23:11 AM
Quote from: BN on February 19, 2013, 08:34:21 AM
Quote from: 4006                         (Not NEL 111P) on February 18, 2013, 06:56:21 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 18, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Are there any plans to try the hybrids out on longer distance routes to see how they cope.

All the routes they have been tried out on, 22/23 and now the 1 are very much small, stop/start routes, what about seeing how they would fair on something like the 126 or 256 which should see how they operate under different conditions?
You would persume that any bus paid in the excess of 100K would be fit for any route/any distance. I certainly wouldn't buy one if it was not  :o :o :o

I think its 9 or 10 that are being branded so we could try and sneak them out on other routes but they want them kept in and around Wolves so maybe not the 126.
Quote from: 4006                         (Not NEL 111P) on February 18, 2013, 06:56:21 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 18, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Are there any plans to try the hybrids out on longer distance routes to see how they cope.

All the routes they have been tried out on, 22/23 and now the 1 are very much small, stop/start routes, what about seeing how they would fair on something like the 126 or 256 which should see how they operate under different conditions?
You would persume that any bus paid in the excess of 100K would be fit for any route/any distance. I certainly wouldn't buy one if it was not  :o :o :o

Correct me if I wrong, but I'd assume that as some of the cost was funded from a government grant I'd assume that they have to stay on the route that NX origionally bid for. Same situation as to why the new Volvo Hybrids aren't being transferred straight away in exchange for E400Hs.

Perhaps i phrased it badly, but i was wondering if there are plans to trial the hybrids on different types of route. presumably, NXWM will contemplate buying more Hybrids in the future

They are currently used on routes that are very much stop start, but how would these buses fair on a route like 256 which has a bit of higher speed running between Penn and Wombourne. As a lot of the savings are made when these buses depart from stops etc:, would a route like 256 benefit from using this type of bus, or are normal buses just as good?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 19, 2013, 10:50:10 AM
Perhaps i phrased it badly, but i was wondering if there are plans to trial the hybrids on different types of route. presumably, NXWM will contemplate buying more Hybrids in the future

They are currently used on routes that are very much stop start, but how would these buses fair on a route like 256 which has a bit of higher speed running between Penn and Wombourne. As a lot of the savings are made when these buses depart from stops etc:, would a route like 256 benefit from using this type of bus, or are normal buses just as good?

Brighton and Hove are currently undertaking this type of experiment.  They have Volvo 13 B5LH's and 10 of these are used on a busy cross-city stop-start route (the 7 from Hove to the Marina).  However, they are currently using the other 3 on their service 28 from Brighton to Lewes.  This route is limited stop for the first 3 miles from Brighton to the Universities and Amex, and then runs as a fast service for about 3 miles along the A27 dual-carriageway to the outskirts of Lewes, before becoming all-stops for the final mile or so.  It will be interesting to see what their conclusions are.

Perhaps WN could trial some Hybrids on the 255/256 on a Sunday to find out how they perform on this type of route.   

Discodave

going on information on Londons ones the hybrids buses of any sort tend to be the best on stop start condition routes on a route like the 256 they would be about the same or worse than a normal diesel bus.

JoNi

The Brighton & Hove experiment of Hybrids on route 28 to Lewes is being quietly dropped (no pun intended) because of the nature of the route, it doesn't stop often enough! They don't intend to buy anymore hybrid buses for the foreseeable future as the battery's take up a lot of room under the floor preventing Brighton's usual layout of tip up seats along the whole of the nearside of the vehicle in front of the rear wheels.

Trident 4609

BU07 LGO

The rear windows are clear, wonder if they will stay that way?!

John

Did the earlier Hybrids get delivered without any of the branding like these newer ones?

BU07 LGO

Quote from: John on February 20, 2013, 05:37:23 PM
Did the earlier Hybrids get delivered without any of the branding like these newer ones?

They were like it, i remember seeing them on pics at the docks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gcbp/6340803632/in/photostream/

Mike K

No, both the E400Hs and the B5LHs arrived fully branded last time round.

JB93

I was thinking wouldn't it have made more sense to use the hybrids on the 126? It's a showcase route, the only route connecting Wolverhampton and Birmingham and it's well used - I'd love to see Hybrids going down the Hagley Road, much rather that than those old Tridents  :)

Andrew1991

The hybrids will be great for the number 1, stuck in traffic on tettenhall road, stuck in traffic in sedgley and stuck in traffic in Wolverhampton street in dudley. Sedgley will be the big difference though, 5pm -6pm through there can take anywhere between 15 & 20 mins if not longer so lots of stop & starts there.

Stuharris 6360

Do we know if all of the new Hybrids will be fitted for stop/start.

Interestingly in London all the hybrids for the 73 (all 54 of them) are fitted for stop / start!

When i was there the other week, an elderly couple got off the bus saying they were going to wait for the bus behind as this one was obviously faulty as the engine kept cutting out every time it stopped!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

busfan2847

Quote from: Trident 4609 on February 20, 2013, 08:18:30 PM
Hybrid buses are only good for routes with start stop traffic so tgey would not be ideal for the 126 as that doesn't have lots of start-stop traffic

Whoops! Nobody told the Chicago Transit Authority that. They have 240 hybrid articulated buses the majority of which are used on limited stop routes north and south of the city on Lake Shore Drive. Traveling 5-10 miles non-stop (traffic permitting).

Quote from: Mike K on February 20, 2013, 06:56:47 PM

No, both the E400Hs and the B5LHs arrived fully branded last time round.
Well the first one has arrived today! It's a B5 No branding/logo's or fleet No's at the mo
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Mike K

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 20, 2013, 09:25:53 PM
Do we know if all of the new Hybrids will be fitted for stop/start.

Interestingly in London all the hybrids for the 73 (all 54 of them) are fitted for stop / start!

When i was there the other week, an elderly couple got off the bus saying they were going to wait for the bus behind as this one was obviously faulty as the engine kept cutting out every time it stopped!

The B5LHs are stop start and I'm pretty sure I read that this latest batch of E400Hs will be too. Of the BC E400s, 5409 has had stop start technology retro fitted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk