News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

97 finally extended?

Started by notepanel, January 28, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovetea4370

Personally I think the 94 would be a higher priority for Enviros than the 97, especially when Claribels have 62 Reg buses competing.

Sh4318

Quote from: Peter123 on March 13, 2013, 08:01:27 PM
Do we think the enviro400 with 97 branding on NXWM's website is a clue as to where some of this year's intake of enviro400's is going??

It's just the image they use for double deck route improvements/introductions. They used a B7RLE image when the X1 was originally announced
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

monkeyjoe

Quote from: trident4370 on March 13, 2013, 08:36:03 PM
Personally I think the 94 would be a higher priority for Enviros than the 97, especially when Claribels have 62 Reg buses competing.

Agreed, but I have said it before and will say it again since the Lea Hall closure non of those routes it would "appear" have had any focus or attention.  (Just my view).

However since NEC are throwing money at it and the 97 is probably a more high profile line, i can't see the 94 being before.

Lukeee

Quote from: Peter123 on March 13, 2013, 08:17:39 PM
Quote from: neale95 on March 13, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
Do we think the enviro400 with 97 branding on NXWM's website is a clue as to where some of this year's intake of enviro400's is going??

They use enviro400s for all/most adverts now i think

To date though theyve never promoted a route with a bus that is branded that does not run on that route-still I may be proven wrong although I think it would be highly unlikely for NXWM to put old tridents on what will now be a flagship, long, 24hr route. I imagine they will put new buses on it

Mind you, NXWM use Presidents on the Outercircle and thats a pretty famous route.

winston

Quote from: Peter123 on March 13, 2013, 08:17:39 PM
Quote from: neale95 on March 13, 2013, 08:15:15 PM

They use enviro400s for all/most adverts now i think

To date though theyve never promoted a route with a bus that is branded that does not run on that route-still I may be proven wrong although I think it would be highly unlikely for NXWM to put old tridents on what will now be a flagship, long, 24hr route. I imagine they will put new buses on it

I thought Tony was of the opinion that refurb'd Tridents were probably going on the 97, as BC were having more than normal numbers repainted/refurb'd

John

Quote from: Winston on March 13, 2013, 09:11:15 PM

I thought Tony was of the opinion that refurb'd Tridents were probably going on the 97, as BC were having more than normal numbers repainted/refurb'd

Yes, it was said that maybe the refurbished Y-TOH trident's will be branded when the 97 changes. Don't know if this is still the case though.

JB93

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 13, 2013, 09:04:34 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on March 13, 2013, 08:36:03 PM

Agreed, but I have said it before and will say it again since the Lea Hall closure non of those routes it would "appear" have had any focus or attention.  (Just my view).

However since NEC are throwing money at it and the 97 is probably a more high profile line, i can't see the 94 being before.

I'm of the opinion too that the ex-LH routes are all being neglected. But to be honest, I think the East Birmingham routes in general all need an upgrade. With the exception of the B7RLEs on the 71/72 and 58 there's been no investment there other than refurbishing decade-old buses. North Birmingham continually gets brand new deliveries and branding on new buses, but there's none of that in the East. It was better when LH were open because they catered exclusively for East Birmingham and routes got branding and high frequencies etc., but now they've all been pawned off on other garages which have other areas to focus on too.
I'd go as far to be honest as to say the entire BC double decker fleet needs upgrading - there are so many flagship routes operating in the city centre with old buses.

suavegarv

In the past,Washwood Heath garage also seemed to be the last garage to get new buses in comparison to Perry Barr. I remember that they only ever had 2 new Mark 3 metrobuses 3049 and 3050 along with two at Lea Hall - 3045 and 3046?

Gareth

3043 and 3044 were the Lea Hall ones. LH and WH were both due to get others in this batch. 309x - 31xx but after the delays with MCW and the the final examples, they were sent to the old 'North division' instead.

suavegarv

Cheers. was only a couple of digits out!! Seems like LH and WH ,for whatever reason,were at the back of the queue for new buses.

Gareth

Yeah, WH were very low down on the list. 4 new buses in 1985, 2 new buses in 1989 and then not until 1997 when 6 new ALX100s entered service. although there were 20 18 month - 2year old Lynxes entering service from there in 1991.

But I suppose back then, there were more garages and they wouldn't need huge amounts of new buses all in one go.

B.C Driver

It's getting like a North / South divide, stand around Perry Barr and its awash with 47XX and 48XX buses....

Stand around Northfield and its awash with 40XX and 41XX buses
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

monkeyjoe

Would quite say the south as AG &YW have a fair few new buses as does the West (Harborne / Quinton) . Mainly the East being neglected, just not worth the investment. I guess.

JB93

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 14, 2013, 01:53:52 PM
Would quite say the south as AG &YW have a fair few new buses as does the West (Harborne / Quinton) . Mainly the East being neglected, just not worth the investment. I guess.

There should be more investment there, there are many busy corridors in the East and you've got the NEC and Airport, as well as Chelmsley Wood town. I admit there's no big towns like Wolverhampton and Walsall to connect to but it doesn't mean it should be left to gather dust while North Birmingham and Wolverhampton is swimming in brand new buses.

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: JB93 on March 14, 2013, 03:41:39 PM
Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 14, 2013, 01:53:52 PM

There should be more investment there, there are many busy corridors in the East and you've got the NEC and Airport, as well as Chelmsley Wood town. I admit there's no big towns like Wolverhampton and Walsall to connect to but it doesn't mean it should be left to gather dust while North Birmingham and Wolverhampton is swimming in brand new buses.

Given the airport have put a substantial amount of money up for operating this 24 hour service then I expect the 97 will get new buses fairly quickly, and the 900 as well (as this is the "fast link" it would make sense for it to have up to date vehicles rather than tired tridents).  Also the 97 is already a busy route and given the plans for additional housing development in East Birmingham/North Solihull coupled with the airport then there must be a relatively strong business case for ensuring new double deckers go here first, allowing those curently used on the 97 to replace the more elderly unrefurbished stock in South Birmingham.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk