News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

97 finally extended?

Started by notepanel, January 28, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notepanel

After years of rumours, the 97 appears to be finally being extended to the Airport from the 24th March according to VOSA today.

Stu

PD0001111/698 - WEST MIDLANDS TRAVEL LTD T/A TRAVEL WEST MIDLANDS, 51 BORDESLEY GREEN, BIRMINGHAM, B9 4BZ

Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: Birm,ingham, Moor Street Queensway
    Finish Point: Birmingham Airport/Chelmsley Wood
    Via:
    Service Number: 97
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 24-MAR-2013
    Other Details: Daily.

Could just be certain peak journeys extended to the Airport, I can't see there being sufficient capacity at the 'bus station' at the Airport for every journey to terminate there.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

Perhaps only the 97, not the 97a, then it isn't quite so many
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sh4318

Would it not be better to extend the 90 to Birmingham International?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

monkeyjoe

It's about time really, they have been going on about for years since the 994 went. I wonder how profitable it will be though, only time will tell and it is likely to become one of those Sprint lines in the future.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 28, 2013, 02:35:08 PM
PD0001111/698 - WEST MIDLANDS TRAVEL LTD T/A TRAVEL WEST MIDLANDS, 51 BORDESLEY GREEN, BIRMINGHAM, B9 4BZ

Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: Birm,ingham, Moor Street Queensway
    Finish Point: Birmingham Airport/Chelmsley Wood
    Via:
    Service Number: 97
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 24-MAR-2013
    Other Details: Daily.

Could just be certain peak journeys extended to the Airport, I can't see there being sufficient capacity at the 'bus station' at the Airport for every journey to terminate there.

What is interesting is this is a brand new registration, not an ammendment to the existing one. Presumably in a few days the cancellation of the existing registration will appear on VOSA and anyone who hasn't seen this new one will break out in a panic at the 97 being deregistered!

Stu

What changes to a route would require a re-registration, rather than an amendment to the current registration?

The current 97 service seems part of a registration of a '97/97A/97S' service. That to me would suggest that the 97A as it is currently would be withdrawn, and then we'd see 97 journeys extended to the Airport, with presumably 'fill-in' 97E journeys to Chelmsley Wood only.

On a personal note, I find this slightly amusing, as I've hinted to one of the users of my Facebook page that 'an extension of the 97 to the Airport is more likely' than any of his ridiculous suggestions, and his response was along the lines of 'that won't happen'  ::)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

I do notice the registration states the finish point as "Birmingham Airport / Chelmsley Wood", so not all services running through to the airport seems likely

Quote from: Stu on January 28, 2013, 08:41:30 PM
On a personal note, I find this slightly amusing, as I've hinted to one of the users of my Facebook page that 'an extension of the 97 to the Airport is more likely' than any of his ridiculous suggestions, and his response was along the lines of 'that won't happen'  ::)

Nah should be extended to Merry Hill instead
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

sonic84

Quote from: Kevin on January 28, 2013, 09:38:09 PM
I do notice the registration states the finish point as "Birmingham Airport / Chelmsley Wood", so not all services running through to the airport seems likely

Or to Little Aston with a diversion to the Fort =)

monkeyjoe

They may probably need to bring back the 96 to avoid having too many variants possibly.

ilovetea4370

I don't think varient's bother anybody too much nowadays, just look at walsalls 4!

Westy

Quote from: sonic84 on January 28, 2013, 09:42:52 PM

Then onto Stafford! :)

CRP2012

Quote from: Westy on January 28, 2013, 11:07:32 PM
Quote from: sonic84 on January 28, 2013, 09:42:52 PM

Then onto Stafford! :)
then non stop to derby,might as well chuck in a stop at nottingham for good measure.no such thing as an extention too long  ;) ;)

Discodave

Gareth

I'm sure Reiss will be very happy with that extension of the 97, but it will need to go via Star City on its way out of Birmingham!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk