News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

97 finally extended?

Started by notepanel, January 28, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Extended up to Dundee via Lands End? :-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

CRP2012

Quote from: trainbasher on January 29, 2013, 05:38:38 PM

We carnt leave them up north without a stop,chuck a few stops in leeds,manchester then also have newcastle & glasgow for good measure  ;) :)

Stuharris 6360

And interwork them with National Express Dundee!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CRP2012

Quote from: Stuharris63 on January 29, 2013, 05:55:22 PM

And interwork them with National Express Dundee!

or just withdraw the national express dundee network,get 97 to cover it all & move the entire NXD Fleet down to west midlands  :D

Kevin

Dear Christ what have I started here... Oops
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

It's just a bit of fun!  ;D

Can't wait til there's something a little more concrete I can post on my Facebook page, would love to see his reaction!

Back on topic though, I did find a PDF document, from page 47 it details how the plan was to improve access to the airport by bus, mainly for employees who work there, rather than for airplane passengers.

It seems that TWM (at the time) were obligated to provide 900 and 38 journeys under an agreement with Central Trains which ended in 2007. The 38 was finally withdrawn in 2009 at the Solihull Review. Interestingly it also states that while the 966 is a commercial service, it was part funded by the Airport Company, I wonder if this is still the case now?

Table 13.2 Target Areas for Bus Service Improvements
Area - Possible Solution
Bordesley Green, Stechford, Tile Cross - Extension of service 97
Alum Rock, Kingshurst - Extension of service 14 or 55
Hall Green - Possible linking of 32, 38 and 42
Shirley - Extension of service 966 or 767
Monkspath & Widney - Diversion/extension of 166

So yes, this does appear to have been in the pipeline for sometime, but I wonder what has triggered this extension of the 97 at this time...

Airport Surface Access Strategy 2006-2012
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Was the 6 ran to the airport, was that funded? Didn't last very long from memory.

CRP2012

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2013, 07:05:55 PM
Dear Christ what have I started here... Oops

As all ready said,it was abit of fun,unless NX Go completly bonkers & actully extend the 97 To those places  :o :o :o :o

Kevin

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 29, 2013, 10:00:46 PM
Was the 6 ran to the airport, was that funded? Didn't last very long from memory.

Wasn't that the 6Y Your Bus route? Seems familiar, might have to look at the maps when I get home
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

monkeyjoe

The actual 6 TWM as it was at the time ran to the airport and was branded. There is an image online somewhere.

Found it:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59615439@N03/8099740521/

lynx1103

Airport/Solihull Link

Before June 1998 all I can remeber the link as Service 73 operted by Midland Red North/Cave Buses
and Peak Times West Midlands Travel until 1996.

June 1998

6 Extended to Airport every 15 mins (Mon to Sat) Daytime
6E Journeys terminating Hermitage Road

January 2000

6 Withdrawn from Airport. All Journeys terminating at Solihull Station
6Y operated by Travel Yourbus will serve Birmingham Airport.
6Y-Nortfield-Birmingham Airport.

Febuary 2001

6Y renumbered A6 and operated by Travel West Midlands following Travel Yourbus Closure. Using Leyland Lynx`s.

September 2001

A6 revised to operate Kings Heath-Damsonwood using Metrobuses.
New Service 966 Airport Link A2 will cover Solihull-Birmingham Airport using Volvo B10L`s Branded and operted by Perry Barr.

966 Sutton Coldfield-Solihull Station
366-Walsall-Sutton Coldfield

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59615439@N03/8256596645/

Stu

For a time the 966 was operated by Lea Hall garage, this presumably was when the 966 was curtailed to Erdington.

The A6 became the 76, between Pool Farm and Damsonwood, and then revised to Kings Heath-Solihull, before becoming the current QE Hospital-Solihull route.

The S1 service then replaced the section between Solihull and Damsonwood.

It will be interesting to see how the 97 extension works out, as with the exception of the 900 and 966, other services serving the Airport have generally failed (anyone else remember Silverline's failed S12 service which replaced parts of the 38 route?) due to lack of use.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

I guess they must be counting on all the infastruture developements that are coming and extra jobs etc. Will be interesting time will tell. I wonder if they will make certain journeys serve the business park as well (or if indeed will be exactly the same route as the 966).

JB93

I think this extension may well work, as in my experience at least living in East Birmingham, it becomes a pain having to catch the 97 to Chelmsley Wood , then having to change onto the 966 and possibly have to wait 30 minutes for it. Plus, a lot of people in East Birmingham have jobs or business at the airport or NEC to attend to, so having a more frequent bus service which cuts through a lot of areas of East Birmingham go there will, I think, be a success. :)

Gareth

I wonder if there are also plans to introduce the intended 24hr operation of the 97 too?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk