News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coventrybususer95

6844 looks to be in a state broke advertisement frame dented body panels 
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

MasterPlan

Some of the 23/24 and X21/X22 branded buses are having their branding adjusted to say every 5 and 10 mins respectively (even that's a bit generous given how many don't end up running).
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

BBS

QuoteSome of the 23/24 and X21/X22 branded buses are having their branding adjusted to say every 5 and 10 mins respectively (even that's a bit generous given how many don't end up running).
Aren't they being debranded 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Mike K

Quote from: BBS on June 16, 2023, 07:08:15 PMAren't they being debranded
4 Harborne ones were debranded, 6858-6861. There were 22 branded ones, and following frequency reductions over most of the network, that was too many for the reduced PVR. None of the University ones have been debranded as far as I'm aware. 

MasterPlan

So it looks like 6887 which was supposed to do the 16:20 X21 to Bartley Green was taken away to do a 97 to Chemlsey Wood instead. I am curious as to what the thought process is behind a decision like that.

j789

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 16, 2023, 10:46:13 PMSo it looks like 6887 which was supposed to do the 16:20 X21 to Bartley Green was taken away to do a 97 to Chemlsey Wood instead. I am curious as to what the thought process is behind a decision like that.
Could be there was 1 spare driver available for this bus who was not route trained on the x21 but could run an otherwise missing 97 so that got run instead.

Plenty of scenarios possible, clearly not good if you want an x21 but the driver shortage is not over yet so unfortunately things like this will continue.

ellspurs

Also, the 97 is pretty much the only bus that runs down that route out of the city now (Bordesley Green/Meadway), whereas there are alternatives for parts of the x21 route.

MasterPlan

Quote from: ellspurs on June 17, 2023, 05:57:12 AMAlso, the 97 is pretty much the only bus that runs down that route out of the city now (Bordesley Green/Meadway), whereas there are alternatives for parts of the x21 route.

That can be argued both ways though, there's alternatives for parts of the 97 too, whereby the main suberbian sections of the X21 there isn't.
Also add to the fact that the 97 is every 5 mins anyway so there's nowhere near as much of a wait for the next one.

What @j789 said I can understand but not that.

Isle of Stroma

QuoteAlso add to the fact that the 97 is every 5 mins anyway so there's nowhere near as much of a wait for the next one.

That's not the case, either in theory or in practice!

Mike K

Quote from: Isle of Stroma on June 17, 2023, 08:48:59 PMThat's not the case, either in theory or in practice!
It's still three times more frequent than the X21 during the day though, so the impact of one missing bus is not as bad.

Lukeee

Quote from: Mike K on June 17, 2023, 10:57:26 PMIt's still three times more frequent than the X21 during the day though, so the impact of one missing bus is not as bad.
Depends if it carries three times as many passengers 

Mike K

Quote from: Lukeee on June 18, 2023, 02:39:44 AMDepends if it carries three times as many passengers
It's three times more frequent so one missing bus is an 11% reduction in hourly capacity of one route vs a 33% reduction in hourly capacity of the other. Unless I'm missing the point. 

MasterPlan

What I can't understand is why the branding has been changed to reflect the frequencies now all of a sudden. The Uni line has been every 10 mins ever since the X20 disappeared for example so its a bit weird really. Unless more changes are going to happen.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 18, 2023, 01:58:26 PMWhat I can't understand is why the branding has been changed to reflect the frequencies now all of a sudden. The Uni line has been every 10 mins ever since the X20 disappeared for example so its a bit weird really. Unless more changes are going to happen.
I assume they waiting to see if passenger numbers pick up to the old levels before changing time  to review etc , perhaps future projections they are not going too so make the changes. 

BusDriverBosh

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 18, 2023, 01:58:26 PMWhat I can't understand is why the branding has been changed to reflect the frequencies now all of a sudden. The Uni line has been every 10 mins ever since the X20 disappeared for example so its a bit weird really. Unless more changes are going to happen.
Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 18, 2023, 04:48:36 PMI assume they waiting to see if passenger numbers pick up to the old levels before changing time  to review etc , perhaps future projections they are not going too so make the changes.
It was due to the shortage of drivers, but since the strike the rotas at BC are now filling up with names.
Now, with the new duties coming in next month, I assume they want to see how it plans out before increasing the service frequency. This results in more lines on the rota with more duties to cover.
Bus Driver
61 - Birmingham ➡️ Frankley
63 - Birmingham ➡️ Longbridge ➡️ Frankley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk