News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Service change (Cock Ups / U turn)

Started by monkeyjoe, September 07, 2014, 10:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: spudnick on September 10, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
That 76 has been messed around with a fair times, I seem to remember at one point as Yourbus A6y/C6y it operated all the way from the Airport to Northfield, then Damsonwood to Northfield as TWM's A6, then the Kings Heath - Northfield section was dropped and it operated to Pool Farm to replace the 35S then shortened to Kings Heath and replaced with the short lived 85 and then finally to the QE while at some point along the way dropping the Solihull - Damsonwood section.

What about the 35 when buses were taken out of Corporation Street in July 2012. The original plan was to take buses out of Sherlock Street cutting off a useful link with the Pershore Road services and accessing Chinatown. Buses were to run into town from Gooch Street onto Barford Street, left onto MacDonald Street then right to Bishop Street back onto Barford Street, buses from town operating straight along Barford Street. At some point the first U-Turn occurred before the changes actually came into force it was decided Barford Street wasn't particularly a great plan and buses into town were to operate on the existing route via Sherlock Street and from town operating from Rea Street by the Coach Street straight down Rea Street onto Bissell Street to access Gooch Street. This was the route that buses started operating, not a problem on a Sunday but come Monday morning buses started getting stuck on Bissell Street behind unloading trucks, by the time I started work at 6:30ish the route had already reverted to Sherlock Street were it has stayed since! On top of this the original route in the City replaced the 50 operating via Moor Street and back via Park Street which made the service unreliable this was thankfully changed the January to U-turn in Moor St like the 50.

The 'U-turn' had a maximum number of vehicles that could use it per hour set when it first opened which was one reason for the 35 going out via Park Street. When the 82/87 stopped using it capacity was there for the 35 to be able to.

Alex

Quote from: Westy on September 09, 2014, 09:08:48 PM
Quote from: notepanel on September 09, 2014, 08:56:46 PM
The 333 Wolverhampton-Walsall route could be argued as a potential cock-up.

At one stage, the 333 was re-routed in the Bentley Area to serve Churchill Road, Wolverhampton Road West, Shepwell Green and the new Tesco Willenhall/Darlaston.

This was re-routed back a year later due to public demand from residents along Bentley Road North & Queen Elizabeth Avenue, however with a slight loop around Morris Avenue in Bentley. The residents on Morris Avenue & Slim Road weren't happy about this and blocked a bus off on one occasion. This loop was quite quietly dropped not long after.

Obviously since the 333 has been completely withdrawn, however earlier this year the 40 was re-routed to replace the old 333 around Portobello in Willenhall.
The withdrawal itself has been argued about by many - we now have the 9 operating every 20 minutes (up from every 30) and Sandwell Travels half-hourly 333X covering part of the route - arguably an increase in frequency along that part of the route compared to 4 buses an hour before.

Does anything serve that Tesco apart from the 310 & 57?

Neither of those run evening & Sundays.
Umm, the Arriva service 9 from Lodge Farm to Walsall serves the TESCO every 20 minutes, although this has already been said
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Westy

Quote from: ARJ2901 on September 10, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
Quote from: Westy on September 09, 2014, 09:08:48 PM
Quote from: notepanel on September 09, 2014, 08:56:46 PM
The 333 Wolverhampton-Walsall route could be argued as a potential cock-up.

At one stage, the 333 was re-routed in the Bentley Area to serve Churchill Road, Wolverhampton Road West, Shepwell Green and the new Tesco Willenhall/Darlaston.

This was re-routed back a year later due to public demand from residents along Bentley Road North & Queen Elizabeth Avenue, however with a slight loop around Morris Avenue in Bentley. The residents on Morris Avenue & Slim Road weren't happy about this and blocked a bus off on one occasion. This loop was quite quietly dropped not long after.

Obviously since the 333 has been completely withdrawn, however earlier this year the 40 was re-routed to replace the old 333 around Portobello in Willenhall.
The withdrawal itself has been argued about by many - we now have the 9 operating every 20 minutes (up from every 30) and Sandwell Travels half-hourly 333X covering part of the route - arguably an increase in frequency along that part of the route compared to 4 buses an hour before.

Does anything serve that Tesco apart from the 310 & 57?

Neither of those run evening & Sundays.
Umm, the Arriva service 9 from Lodge Farm to Walsall serves the TESCO every 20 minutes, although this has already been said

Surely that is only while Bentley Road South is having various work done, that new bridge for instance!

leewhayward29

Is this a u turn for bradford place. A double decker on the number 4 from Walsall
Bus services in my local area and where I live

31 -  Walsall to Mossley via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and Dennis Trident ALX400                     

32 - Walsall to Lower Farm via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are:- Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and ADL Enviro400

69 - Walsall to Wolverhampton via Beechdale, New Invention, Wood End and New Cross Hospital. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE, Dennis Trident ALX400 and ADL Enviro200

529   - Wolverhampton to Walsall via willenhall. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses Used are:- ADL Enviro400 MMC   Dennis Trident ALX400, ADL Enviro400H   (Platinum bus service)

Stu

Quote from: leewhayward29 on September 11, 2014, 09:45:57 AM
Is this a u turn for bradford place. A double decker on the number 4 from Walsall

On Boxing Day I believe the 4 was almost entirely double-deck operated.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JB93

I've just thought of one.

When the 73 stop was moved to Selfridges to share with the 126, and has now been moved back to share with the 17. Having two services that follow such a similar route at complete opposite ends of Moor St. and one of them being a 30 minute frequency, who is going to choose to stand and wait for a 73 other than someone who lives around the little roads in Sheldon and Yardley that are only served by that route? I have noticed better loadings since it moved.

Tony

Quote from: JB93 on September 11, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

When the 73 stop was moved to Selfridges to share with the 126, and has now been moved back to share with the 17. Having two services that follow such a similar route at complete opposite ends of Moor St. and one of them being a 30 minute frequency, who is going to choose to stand and wait for a 73 other than someone who lives around the little roads in Sheldon and Yardley that are only served by that route? I have noticed better loadings since it moved.

Again, there are things behind the scenes, and it is not just daft decisions.
At the time of the split Diamond were also on the 17, so the 17 stop was 'full', remember Centro allocate time slots for bus departures on city centre stops. At the time as well Moor Street Queensway used to have a lot more hold ups than it does now, and it gave the 73 which was tightly timed chance to use the u-turn and save a few minutes. now it does do the full loop it misses Solihull Station at the other end

Stuharris 6360

No it means the only bus available was a decker, so it was used, otherwise the running board would have gone uncovered.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

monkeyjoe

Quote from: JB93 on September 11, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

I think they justified that at the time by saying the 73 was getting full up by passengers that live on the 17 route and people who wanted parts of route specific to the 73 were complaining etc.

leewhayward29

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 11, 2014, 06:37:13 PM

No it means the only bus available was a decker, so it was used, otherwise the running board would have gone uncovered.

Oh thank you
Bus services in my local area and where I live

31 -  Walsall to Mossley via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and Dennis Trident ALX400                     

32 - Walsall to Lower Farm via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are:- Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and ADL Enviro400

69 - Walsall to Wolverhampton via Beechdale, New Invention, Wood End and New Cross Hospital. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE, Dennis Trident ALX400 and ADL Enviro200

529   - Wolverhampton to Walsall via willenhall. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses Used are:- ADL Enviro400 MMC   Dennis Trident ALX400, ADL Enviro400H   (Platinum bus service)

Trident 4609

Quote from: Stu on September 11, 2014, 06:21:34 PM

On Boxing Day I believe the 4 was almost entirely double-deck operated.

Correct. Fully Trident operated on Boxing day

Dudley road services to Albert street a cock up most definitely. Dale end so not suitable for so many high frequency routes, definitely need your wits about you so much going in a tight space. Not many passengers even get on at Albert St granted early days ,ok those temp really don't help the situation at all.
Myself and my colleagues think going around hotel la tour and back up the priory would help greatly.
It would give us drivers half a chance staying on time, the evening 82 running time has got no chance on keeping to time if are driving correctly. It would seem to me most passengers get to either stops at the priory or old square by using the 16 or 98/99 service as these services stop close by, nobody would miss Albert St stop to be honest.

Kevin

Quote from: 2900 on June 02, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
Dudley road services to Albert street a cock up most definitely. Dale end so not suitable for so many high frequency routes, definitely need your wits about you so much going in a tight space. Not many passengers even get on at Albert St granted early days ,ok those temp really don't help the situation at all.
Myself and my colleagues think going around hotel la tour and back up the priory would help greatly.
It would give us drivers half a chance staying on time, the evening 82 running time has got no chance on keeping to time if are driving correctly. It would seem to me most passengers get to either stops at the priory or old square by using the 16 or 98/99 service as these services stop close by, nobody would miss Albert St stop to be honest.

Unfortunately man this is probably going to remain, apparently that link is necessary
(I quote from central garage thread)

Quote from: Tony on May 10, 2015, 07:49:30 PM
The reason the 82/87 currently do the complete city loop is because of the number of passengers of other routes who change onto them to get to City Hospital, hence the need to get them as close to services coming in from Digbeth & Bristol/Pershore Roads as possible.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MW

Quote from: 2900 on June 02, 2015, 09:47:48 AM

Just those bloody temporary lights. It's chaotic when one bus decides to let the back swing out whilst loading. If pulling in properly it's okay, but I suppose with multiple service stands, it just creates chaos.

Bristol rd buses parking on the 82/87 stop doesn't help either.
Maybe the re introduction of a centre bus could be an idea like the old 101, the city council and developers should really fund this as its there doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk