News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NX 2013 Bus Orders

Started by Wolves256, October 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Peter123 on November 11, 2012, 06:19:44 PM
Quote from: Winston on November 11, 2012, 05:58:29 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on November 10, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
No, the streets ahead bus isnt the new LT class bus. The tfl order has been confirmed btw. And you may find that nxwm will want to order lots of buses in 2013 or at least for them to be built in 2013 as in 2014 the new euro6 emissions come into place and these buses will cost quite a bit more money.

Peter123,

That's a good call,

Euro 6 emissions will apply for anything new ordered after 31st Dec 2013, so as you say either NX may opt to order & take delivery of more than normal Euro 5 vehicles during the course of 2013, or they may choose to place orders early for 2014 at Euro 5 spec to beat the introduction of Euro 6 & higher anticipated purchase costs, even more so if NXWM's current standard single decker i.e. B7RLE is being replaced by a new model.

The quantity of further new vehicle intakes may also be dictated by how much passenger growth NXWM have experienced following the introduction of new vehicles on to routes......

I agree. NXWM may choose to save money and stock up on euro 5 buses like Nottingham have been doing recently.Eventually, though, they will have to face up to the numbers of deckers needing to be replaced.

The majority of NXWM's/NXD's double deck fleet date from 1999-2004, during that period including the initial Spectra's (4001 & 4002) makes a total intake of some 699 new double deckers, If those come due for replacement over a similar number of years, no less than 140 new double deckers would need to be delivered each and every year over a five year period. Obviously those 54 reg Tridents that have been/are to be re-engined will have extended lives but at present the order is for around 30. I suspect even if 2013 NX orders do turn out to be for the majority double deckers few if any double deckers would be replaced in favour of increasing the proportion of double deckers in the fleet and seeing off further older single deckers / increasing capacity on some routes

Typhoon2000

I really hate those Scania single deckers (the one with the weird double seating arrangement behind the cab)... Big ups to the Wrights used on the 120!!!! They were the BEST replacement for the Mercs bar none.
People - The life blood of a city.
Public transport - the veins it flows by.

don

"The majority of NXWM's/NXD's double deck fleet date from 1999-2004, during that period including the initial Spectra's (4001 & 4002) makes a total intake of some 699 new double deckers, If those come due for replacement over a similar number of years, no less than 140 new double deckers would need to be delivered each and every year over a five year period. Obviously those 54 reg Tridents that have been/are to be re-engined will have extended lives but at present the order is for around 30. I suspect even if 2013 NX orders do turn out to be for the majority double deckers few if any double deckers would be replaced in favour of increasing the proportion of double deckers in the fleet and seeing off further older single deckers / increasing capacity on some routes"

Winston - this is correct except it's across six years (1999-2004), equating to 116.5 per annum. My guess is these won't fall due for replacement until 2014-5, after the 130 per annum required to replace the existing B10L, B6LE and Mercs (although no doubt there'll be an overlap).

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 15, 2012, 03:49:56 AM
I really hate those Scania single deckers (the one with the weird double seating arrangement behind the cab)... Big ups to the Wrights used on the 120!!!! They were the BEST replacement for the Mercs bar none.

I don't disagree with this - have you seen some of the London single deckers - seats dotted here there and everywhere (especially those used on the 507 - Citaros I think?). No doubt caused partially by the need to accomodate some of the standard TfL specs though.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

winston

Quote from: don on November 15, 2012, 01:53:08 PM
"The majority of NXWM's/NXD's double deck fleet date from 1999-2004, during that period including the initial Spectra's (4001 & 4002) makes a total intake of some 699 new double deckers, If those come due for replacement over a similar number of years, no less than 140 new double deckers would need to be delivered each and every year over a five year period. Obviously those 54 reg Tridents that have been/are to be re-engined will have extended lives but at present the order is for around 30. I suspect even if 2013 NX orders do turn out to be for the majority double deckers few if any double deckers would be replaced in favour of increasing the proportion of double deckers in the fleet and seeing off further older single deckers / increasing capacity on some routes"

Winston - this is correct except it's across six years (1999-2004), equating to 116.5 per annum. My guess is these won't fall due for replacement until 2014-5, after the 130 per annum required to replace the existing B10L, B6LE and Mercs (although no doubt there'll be an overlap).

Don,

1999-2004 is over a 5 year period as follows:

1999-2000 (1 year)
2000-2001 (2 years)
2001-2002 (3 years)
2002-2003 (4 years)
2003-2004 (5 years)

Ash

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 15, 2012, 03:49:56 AM

If you mean the scania omnilinks i have to disagree, yes they have their faults from a passengers perspective but so do the wrights eclipses. From experience I have never seen a scania omnilink with a broken display compared to the younger eclipses I have seen many especially the ones on the 120, which is handy when you running for a bus but you dont have a clue which one it is as it has a blank rear blind thats faulty. The omnilinks have more character from an enthusiasts point of view engine noises etc where the eclipses are quite boring. Also the omnilinks are quite quick I was on one on the 4 yesterday yes the driver might have been a bit late but the bus could move. Not being one sided the omnilinks have their faults like having terrible headroom at the back when leaving the bus hence the dents that seem to be on the ceiling where I havent been the only one to hit my head. You have to wait for the door to fully close as the brakes stop on and the bus cant move and their not the best in terms of room for you legs especially if your tall. Overall i prefer the first series of eclipses Walsall have  but to be honest prefer the mercs out of all the single deckers NXWM have and hopefully be in service for a few more years to come.

Steveminor

You can't blame the faulty destinations on the model of bus, neither Volvo or scania make them I believe Hanover supply the destination equipment in all NXWM buses.

Stu

It's probably more likely that whoever programmed the displays for the Pensnett Urban 2s has either 'forgot' to add in the information for the rear sign, or incorrectly formatted it so it doesn't display, as all the rear displays work on the Acocks Green and Birmingham Central Urban 2s which are all from the same batch.

The Urban 2 B7RLEs are nice buses to travel on, but I feel that the lack of handrails in the standing area makes them awkward for passengers to safely move through this area when boarding/alighting, especially when there are other people standing. The capacity notice states that 52 standing passengers are permitted, which I feel is a little ambitious, considering the Omnilinks have a standing capacity of 32.

The only faults that the Omnilinks have, from a passengers point of view, is that they can feel a little cramped, and there is little headroom at the rear.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

In terms of comfort, the Wright Eclipses' smash the Scania Omnilinks' out of the sky. The 37 is a good example to see the difference as both vehicle types are used. The Wright Eclipses' offer a smooth ride and are more generous with legroom/headroom. Speed wise, they are capable of the same speed, although I'm guessing the ECU's on the Wright Eclipses are set up in a way that offers more miles per gallon, hence the lag of high revving, thus less pickup.

What you must be aware of is what the Eclipses' lack in speed, they make up for when the doors open and close.

PM

Quote from: Stu on November 15, 2012, 08:16:56 PM
It's probably more likely that whoever programmed the displays for the Pensnett Urban 2s has either 'forgot' to add in the information for the rear sign, or incorrectly formatted it so it doesn't display, as all the rear displays work on the Acocks Green and Birmingham Central Urban 2s which are all from the same batch.

The Urban 2 B7RLEs are nice buses to travel on, but I feel that the lack of handrails in the standing area makes them awkward for passengers to safely move through this area when boarding/alighting, especially when there are other people standing. The capacity notice states that 52 standing passengers are permitted, which I feel is a little ambitious, considering the Omnilinks have a standing capacity of 32.

The only faults that the Omnilinks have, from a passengers point of view, is that they can feel a little cramped, and there is little headroom at the rear.

And the fact that the plastic used to make much of the interior the bus looks like it is of the type used to make plastic plates or tictac boxes.

suavegarv

pity they cant take out a row of seats because some seats  towards the rear of the omnilinks are too tight if you are tall with long legs like me and have to take up two seats because i cant close my legs without discomfort!!. the best seats are the ones by the emergency exit.you can actually open a newspaper and read it.
bring back the metros for their seating....

Ash

The best room for seating I think in terms of newer single deckers is the seating on the centro's diamond have very spacious especially the royale diamond centro's the worst were the mcv's diamond once had.

suavegarv

bagsy the drivers seat!!  :D

Typhoon2000

Quote from: Michael on November 15, 2012, 08:26:34 PM
In terms of comfort, the Wright Eclipses' smash the Scania Omnilinks' out of the sky. The 37 is a good example to see the difference as both vehicle types are used. The Wright Eclipses' offer a smooth ride and are more generous with legroom/headroom. Speed wise, they are capable of the same speed, although I'm guessing the ECU's on the Wright Eclipses are set up in a way that offers more miles per gallon, hence the lag of high revving, thus less pickup.

What you must be aware of is what the Eclipses' lack in speed, they make up for when the doors open and close.

Absolutely totally agree with this. As a passenger, that's all that's important for me and I note even some of the drivers take advantage of the comfort of the driver's seat- one of them looked so laid back he could have been 50Cent riding around in his pimp mobile. Yo.

I liked the Mercs though because they had a very logical layout and it seems that the Wrights have followed this pattern. It really simply works, whereas the Omnilinks look a little be all over the place. I have size XL legs, and I can assure you the Wrights 'Eclipse' the Omnilinks for comfort EVERY time.

The best single decked buses though? What were those ones that were used on the Black Diamond 9?... Proper nice with ace seats and really quiet running gear!!!
People - The life blood of a city.
Public transport - the veins it flows by.

MW

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 16, 2012, 02:37:09 AM

Absolutely totally agree with this. As a passenger, that's all that's important for me and I note even some of the drivers take advantage of the comfort of the driver's seat- one of them looked so laid back he could have been 50Cent riding around in his pimp mobile. Yo.

I liked the Mercs though because they had a very logical layout and it seems that the Wrights have followed this pattern. It really simply works, whereas the Omnilinks look a little be all over the place. I have size XL legs, and I can assure you the Wrights 'Eclipse' the Omnilinks for comfort EVERY time.

The best single decked buses though? What were those ones that were used on the Black Diamond 9?... Proper nice with ace seats and really quiet running gear!!!

These? http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/6066962328/

Tony

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 16, 2012, 02:37:09 AM

Which have exactly the same running gear / Chassis as the Urban Eclipse!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk