News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX 2013 Bus Orders

Started by Wolves256, October 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew1991

Quote from: Roy on October 11, 2012, 04:09:48 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 03:42:38 PM
Quote from: A1991 on October 11, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Wasn't there talk of new buses for the 246,276,297 & X96 because of the emmisions in brierley hill or is that for 2014 ?

May have be a result of the Brierley Hill bus funding rather than emissions, which is what has resulted in the 222 receiving new buses. The 246 & X96 were definitely suggested as candidates not so sure on the 276 & 297 though

The Brierley Hill Better Bus Area bid document stated the following.

£2.2m investment in brand new euro 5 buses
Operators have agreed to invest £2.2m in new buses that would not otherwise be procured for the region. This investment will include enhanced internal features as part of a higher quality vehicle specification and include branding of the new buses.

On Vehicle Displays on up to 40 buses serving the strategic routes
Up to 40 buses will be installed with On Vehicle Displays and speakers to allow next stop audio and visual announcements, in line with the government backed Talking Buses scheme. This proposal will allow the biggest increase in talking buses within the West Midlands area and significantly improve passenger information.

The eight strategic routes are 002, 81, 222, 226, 246, 255, 297, X96.  Therefore, this does not suggest that the strategic routes will all be upgraded to Euro 5 buses, although some probably will.  I wonder whether the 4M will be added to the strategic routes now that it operates to Merry Hill every day.

That clears it up then, I thought they were going to invest in new buses for it as well, but saying that, by time it all happens they'll probably be new buses anyway.

winston

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 04:26:35 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 03:16:52 PM
The NX article in this weeks CBW states Coventry are to receive 27 new buses

Tony, are you able to post the article on the forum or do you only receive a paper copy?

I get a paper copy you will ned to go to the WHSmith library to read it. They do stock coach anf bus week now

Thanks Tony will do, thought it was still subscription only

Wolves256

By my reckoning (hope the numbers are correct) the following vehicles are due for imminent replacement:-

NXWM
Mercedes 0405N (1515>1627)  86
Volvo B10L                                 46 (includes 2 ex Dundee)
Volvo B6L                                   50 (includes 1 ex Airlinks)
Optare Excel                                6
Optare Solo                               14
Optare Spectra                          21
Total                                        223

NXD (not included Solos)
Volvo B10L                                  18 (Includes 7129)
Volvo Olympian                             5
Total                                           23

So that's a total of 246 buses to be replaced by 30? Midibuses + 120 (TBC) buses for 2013
This would leave 96 to be replaced in 2014 plus a start on withdrawing the second batch of Mercs and Dundee Volvo B10LEs
By my reckoning without any fleet expansion, there will still be T reg 1999 (16 year old) Mercs floating around in 2014 so the 120 new vehicles/year is not keeping pace with fleet replacement needs.

tank90

do you think NX would consider replacing the old mercs with new ones as i would think their maintance was same so no training needed or if it was it would be a refresher rather than full. Also i think its good to see mercs in Cov too as show we can forgive for what happened in years gone by.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

JackC

It'd be nice to see the Mercs replaced by Citaros. Some of them in red and white would be a very nice addition.

PM

Quote from: JackC on October 11, 2012, 06:14:59 PM
It'd be nice to see the Mercs replaced by Citaros. Some of them in red and white would be a very nice addition.

Agreed it'd be nice but they could replace more of the fleet for the same amount of money by buying volvos-especially those with mcv bodies-assuming there cheaper.

JackC

Quote from: Peter123 on October 11, 2012, 06:16:38 PM

Agreed it'd be nice but they could replace more of the fleet for the same amount of money by buying volvos-especially those with mcv bodies-assuming there cheaper.

Mhm, definitely. They aren't the cheapest buses but with so many operators buying Citaros more and more, they must be worth the extra cost. Saying that though, if some of the MCV bodied Volvos came in to the fleet instead I would be rather pleased too. I haven't been on the demonstrator yet but I must say it looks fantastic.

PM

Quote from: JackC on October 11, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on October 11, 2012, 06:16:38 PM

Mhm, definitely. They aren't the cheapest buses but with so many operators buying Citaros more and more, they must be worth the extra cost. Saying that though, if some of the MCV bodied Volvos came in to the fleet instead I would be rather pleased too. I haven't been on the demonstrator yet but I must say it looks fantastic.

Agree with you-mercs seem rock solid-any bus that can survive about 13 years on dudley road/inner circle etc routes deserves credit and theyve proven that if u can afford them mercs are amazing. Its just weighing up-more new buses or fewer new mercs.... would be happy tho to see pretty much any new buses, tho i prefered the b7rles when they were a bit less eco...... :P

JackC

I think if Citaros ever do come into NXWM, it will be a special order of some sort and not just fleet replacement. Maybe to upgrade a route to Showcase or something.

Liberator9

Citaros are among the best in the country for sure. Very reliable, smooth and comfortable with good build quality. Really they would be a like of like replacement of the 405s. The Liberators have been excellent and more Wrights would be able to replace them with no problem.

Tony

Quote from: Wolves256 on October 11, 2012, 05:06:43 PM
By my reckoning (hope the numbers are correct) the following vehicles are due for imminent replacement:-

NXWM

NXD (not included Solos)

So that's a total of 246 buses to be replaced by 30? Midibuses + 120 (TBC) buses for 2013
This would leave 96 to be replaced in 2014 plus a start on withdrawing the second batch of Mercs and Dundee Volvo B10LEs
By my reckoning without any fleet expansion, there will still be T reg 1999 (16 year old) Mercs floating around in 2014 so the 120 new vehicles/year is not keeping pace with fleet replacement needs.

120 vehicles a year (incidently it was 100 + 30mini this year) is certainly keeping place with replacements. If 130 vehicles are ordered every year the entire fleet would be replaced with in 13 years. Work out all the other large groups (First/Arriva/Go-Ahead/Stagecoach) and see if their current vehicle ordering replaces their fleet within 13 years

PM

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 08:16:11 PM

NXWM

NXD (not included Solos)

120 vehicles a year (incidently it was 100 + 30mini this year) is certainly keeping place with replacements. If 130 vehicles are ordered every year the entire fleet would be replaced with in 13 years. Work out all the other large groups (First/Arriva/Go-Ahead/Stagecoach) and see if their current vehicle ordering replaces their fleet within 13 years

Surely NXWM should order more than 130 vehicles a year for at least the next couple of years to make up for the fact that currently there are a lot of buses that should be due for withdrawal, as TWM replaced such a large percentage of its fleet between 1996 and 2000

Tony

Quote from: Peter123 on October 11, 2012, 08:24:31 PM

NXWM

NXD (not included Solos)

Surely NXWM should order more than 130 vehicles a year for at least the next couple of years to make up for the fact that currently there are a lot of buses that should be due for withdrawal, as TWM replaced such a large percentage of its fleet between 1996 and 2000

All that does is leave another blip in the age profile for another few years. Why should a refurbished reliable Mercedes on the X96 be due for withdrawal, just because of it's registration plate.

Let's see what other big groups that people think are good operators have still got in use.
Trent-Barton Group - 17 year old step entrance B10Bs
Go-Ahead Group - 23 year old step entrance Olympians
Transdev - various elder stuff up to 20 year old
Stagecoach - Various aged step entrance Olympians & B10Ms
Arriva - Various step entrance stuff up to 20 years old
First - loads of ancient crap

I would put NX's oldest buses (B10Ls or O405Ns) up against any of those for quality

don

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 03:16:52 PM
The NX article in this weeks CBW states Coventry are to receive 27 new buses

Makes perfect sense - they have a large number of older Mercs also - I do agree that West Brom ought to receive some new buses as well - presumably they may have some of the minibus order?

Quote from: A1991 on October 11, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Wasn't there talk of new buses for the 246,276,297 & X96 because of the emmisions in brierley hill or is that for 2014 ?

Surely a lot of this is covered by B7RLEs, the yet to be formally announced minibuses and improvement of the later Mercs with new destination equipment?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Ash

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 08:36:46 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on October 11, 2012, 08:24:31 PM

NXWM

NXD (not included Solos)

All that does is leave another blip in the age profile for another few years. Why should a refurbished reliable Mercedes on the X96 be due for withdrawal, just because of it's registration plate.

Let's see what other big groups that people think are good operators have still got in use.
Trent-Barton Group - 17 year old step entrance B10Bs
Go-Ahead Group - 23 year old step entrance Olympians
Transdev - various elder stuff up to 20 year old
Stagecoach - Various aged step entrance Olympians & B10Ms
Arriva - Various step entrance stuff up to 20 years old
First - loads of ancient crap

I would put NX's oldest buses (B10Ls or O405Ns) up against any of those for quality

I will be very sad the day the last merc is withdrawn for me there the best buses NXWM have expecially for their age, i was on 1619 yesterday on the 405. As a merc that has not been refurbed and painted since new it was very smart in condition, the outside paintwork was very well kept and although it has the older pattened seats they were well padded and not worn and very comfortable and wouldnt complain if i was on a long journey having to sit on one. Some rattles but nothing thats going to give you a headache. Engine seemed quite powerful but had the usual banging into gear, which seems to give the bus extra character. Hopefully the mercs will be in service for a few years yet before they have all gone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk