News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Started by nx4737, September 03, 2012, 02:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nx4737

http://wmbusphotos.com/Arriva/2147.html

Nice dent in the side... didn't think it'd be long...

Discodave

soon to be shunted (pardon the pun) to another garage then thats why the midlands garages have all the tat when cannock new buses get a bump not long after the lot get transferred and tat to replace them

PM

Why on earth does arriva buy new buses for these contracts and give crap buses to cannock say? Surely, use the crappiest buses for the centro contracts provided low floor etc and let cannock have new buses? VIP/diamond etc get away with using far older buses on their centro contracts-or were arriva's contracts specified with new buses/that was part of the bid??

hartshill busman 724210

Hi peter.
The centro contracts just ask for low floor and compliant to modern legislation.Seems its part of the grand master plan to use new buses on already marginal contracts,but there again the competition around Cannock is`nt great so why bother putting new buses on ;).

PM

Thats what i thought-its not like some places which specify certain buses in a certain livery. Seems silly to me tho maybe it helps increase passenger numbers on some marginal routes. I guess these enviro200s are only cheap new buses anyway not like the nice citysmarts theyre buying for some fleets or citaros.

BU07 LGO

It sets a good impression on unfamilair territory and makes people more likely to give them a try!

nx4737

Quote from: BU07 LGO on September 03, 2012, 12:09:20 PM
It sets a good impression on unfamilair territory and makes people more likely to give them a try!

This.

richie

Quote from: Peter123 on September 03, 2012, 10:15:59 AM
Why on earth does arriva buy new buses for these contracts and give crap buses to cannock say? Surely, use the crappiest buses for the centro contracts provided low floor etc and let cannock have new buses? VIP/diamond etc get away with using far older buses on their centro contracts-or were arriva's contracts specified with new buses/that was part of the bid??

The new buses are probably leased and they mpg would be loads better than the older ones which may help reduce their bill

Discodave

Quote from: hartshill busman on September 03, 2012, 11:12:07 AM
Hi peter.
The centro contracts just ask for low floor and compliant to modern legislation.Seems its part of the grand master plan to use new buses on already marginal contracts,but there again the competition around Cannock is`nt great so why bother putting new buses on ;).

Hit the nail on the head no competition so crap buses Arriva need a competetor to run better buses cheaper fares and cannock would soon be on its knees

Discodave

Quote from: Peter123 on September 03, 2012, 11:17:07 AM
Thats what i thought-its not like some places which specify certain buses in a certain livery. Seems silly to me tho maybe it helps increase passenger numbers on some marginal routes. I guess these enviro200s are only cheap new buses anyway not like the nice citysmarts theyre buying for some fleets or citaros.

With regard to the new buses arriva use the impression will soon change with the repainting of midlands tat

Bob

Dave do you reckon if someone like NXWM competed with them on say wolves/walsall /pye green routes itd have an impact?

nx4737

Bigger operators generally won't try to fight each other like they will with smaller independents...

Bob

Where's all the great competition that Thatcher promised with deregulation? Nope, its just gone from public monopoly to private monopoly in most areas....

PM

Manchester lots of competition, oxford lots of competition, birmingham competition to a much lesser degree, Bristol competion tho I agree that in most areas, particularly those that are not urban, we have developed private sector monopolies which can be both good and bad. Good-strong network, one operator so easy to understand with operator discount tickets. Bad-no-one to keep them on their toes and relaint upon one operator to provide a good service which according to thatcherism they should do anyway because it is in their interest particularly in the long run. A greater way to have competion is through franchising but it is very expensive and puts buses in politicians' hands and we all know what happens then.... Unless the politicians are bus enthusiasts....

Discodave

Quote from: bob on September 04, 2012, 06:01:59 PM
Dave do you reckon if someone like NXWM competed with them on say wolves/walsall /pye green routes itd have an impact?

The prices would soon come down on Walsall when they put prices up before and NXWM were on 351 everyone got on NXWM as 1 too expensive mistake soon corrected it would make a difference but NXWM are not intrested unless arriva start to compete with them in a big way and they will hit hard with nice buses and bring cannock to its knees they deserve it big time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk