News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Landflight (formerly Silverline)

Started by 966, August 22, 2012, 11:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBS

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 28, 2021, 08:14:30 PM
I don't see why one company selling another company some fuel has to cause an argument for. It was a very kind gesture for NX to offer to let them use AG and as Tony says they are not paying any extra than they would normally pay, so whats the problem.

At the end of the day, in a situation like this, everyone has to help each other!!
Landflight is a very good company and letting them use AG fuel shows NX just helping other companies stay strong. Shows more about caring for other smaller operators than a problem
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Stu

Quote from: metrocity on September 28, 2021, 09:18:54 PM
Who said anything about Landflight being ripped off?

That's not what I said.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Of course it's a gesture.

From a business point of view, it would be in NX's interest to watch the small operators "starve of fuel" and essentially wipe them out.

Somehow I doubt Rotala would offer the same gesture to other smaller operators.

Steveminor

So let's all bow down & pray to our benevolent masters.

andyr

You could always offer to help them Steve rather than criticising Nat Ex...No I thought not

Steveminor

There has always been a very close relationship between Claribels/BIC & landflight.

& for the record was not critical of the offer or suggesting nx were going to rip them off just pointing out this was a business related transaction not the oh hail nx you are so kind gesture people on here were making it out to be.

Wumpty

Quote from: Steveminor on September 30, 2021, 07:26:27 AM
There has always been a very close relationship between Claribels/BIC & landflight.

& for the record was not critical of the offer or suggesting nx were going to rip them off just pointing out this was a business related transaction not the oh hail nx you are so kind gesture people on here were making it out to be.

Not so close as to engage in "a business related transaction" and offer them fuel!

Thankfully Steve, most of the posts relating to this subject see it for what it is. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is in the minority.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

metrocity

Quote from: Wumpty on September 30, 2021, 07:58:00 AM
Not so close as to engage in "a business related transaction" and offer them fuel!

Thankfully Steve, most of the posts relating to this subject see it for what it is. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is in the minority.
In fairness NX probably had plenty of surplus fuel judging by the amount of missing buses in recent weeks (https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2021/09/28/national-express-apologises-for-bus-delays-after-passengers-left-stranded/)

Steveminor

@metrocity you're correct & unfortunately we've got a FULL service in operation plus long distance coach work to cover

Wumpty

Quote from: Steveminor on September 30, 2021, 08:16:45 AM
@metrocity you're correct & unfortunately we've got a FULL service in operation plus long distance coach work to cover

Quite right Steve - a FULL service with a considerably smaller fleet. I'd wager that even Claribels would have the same issues with a fleet the size of NX, First or Diamond.

The article mentions unhappy passengers and the obligatory one that wishes not to be named (don't they just?!), and it does show an apology, though this must be taken in context - The NX apology states, "Various issues have been affecting the punctuality and reliability of our services recently - including continuing sickness and self-isolation due to the pandemic, as well as the UK-wide difficulties in recruiting drivers and many large-scale sets of roadworks causing congestion and delaying buses. From October 3 we're temporarily tweaking the timetables of some Birmingham and Black Country services to improve their reliability."

The Wolverhampton services currently have to contend with eight sets of roadworks with temporary traffic lights in an area the size of Birmingham city centre and, of course, this will hurt services, create bunching and have a knock on effect.

It also quotes Greig Mackay, a director at the Bus Users campaign group, who said the issues in the West Midlands were happening all over the UK. It's a simple case of ratios and mathematics - the smaller the business the easier it is to recruit drivers, the larger the business, the harder it is (as you'll know from your days at Pete's Travel) and this is exacerbated by the factors shown above.

Thankfully, both yourselves and Landflight have smaller fleets and choose to operate that way. It's easier to throw fuel on the fire, than it is to help put it out (see what I did there?!)
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

j789

Another factor to consider with 'certain' smaller companies (I am not suggesting Landflight are like this as I do not know them well) is that the standard of drivers may not be the greatest and hence their drivers won't be of interest to any HGV firms (or similar) for driving jobs there. I have plenty of experience over the years of seeing drivers being dismissed by my company for various misdemeanours and then turning up working for these certain other companies a few weeks later.

In the current climate, highly trained NXWM drivers with exemplary driving records and longer periods of service for the company will be very attractive to HGV recruiters and are more likely to be able to obtain new jobs. Those drivers who have had multiple jobs with different bus companies over a short period of time will be far less attractive so less likely to leave their bus company.

NXWM, First, Stagecoach etc having high training and employment standards are actually creating the situation where their drivers are the most attractive for other driving jobs because those companies know these drivers are of a good quality.

andy41

I've never read so much contrived nonsense in my life as some of the constructed theories above.

Total nepotism of the highest order from people who clearly know nothing about operating buses.

j789

Quote from: andy41 on September 30, 2021, 10:48:20 PM
I've never read so much contrived nonsense in my life as some of the constructed theories above.

Total nepotism of the highest order from people who clearly know nothing about operating buses.

Here comes anti-NXWM mark 2! I think you will find there is plenty of knowledge here and also many experiences of what has been suggested. Of course you wouldn't see any negatives about certain companies but after years of hearing the same stories about the 'quality' of operation of them I am quite happy with my viewpoint here thanks 👍 (again not aimed at Landflight so this is becoming rather off topic!)

metrocity

Quote from: j789 on September 30, 2021, 09:22:40 PM
Another factor to consider with 'certain' smaller companies (I am not suggesting Landflight are like this as I do not know them well) is that the standard of drivers may not be the greatest and hence their drivers won't be of interest to any HGV firms (or similar) for driving jobs there. I have plenty of experience over the years of seeing drivers being dismissed by my company for various misdemeanours and then turning up working for these certain other companies a few weeks later.

In the current climate, highly trained NXWM drivers with exemplary driving records and longer periods of service for the company will be very attractive to HGV recruiters and are more likely to be able to obtain new jobs. Those drivers who have had multiple jobs with different bus companies over a short period of time will be far less attractive so less likely to leave their bus company.

NXWM, First, Stagecoach etc having high training and employment standards are actually creating the situation where their drivers are the most attractive for other driving jobs because those companies know these drivers are of a good quality.
Is this a serious comment ?

Stu

Folks, can we keep this thread 'on-topic' for stuff surrounding the operator Landflight.

For continued discussion of the topic of driver shortages, please use the following thread instead:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=6086.0
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk