News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Shortest bus route in the West Midlands?

Started by Stu, December 06, 2021, 08:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

Walsall Illuminations Shuttle (Arboretum Extension to Lichfield Street entrance) a contender. 
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

DJ

Does the ride through the bus wash at the Pensnett open day count? ;D

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Wumpty

Quote from: DJ on February 03, 2022, 08:24:46 AM
Does the ride through the bus wash at the Pensnett open day count? ;D
@DJ wins - thread closed ;D
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Mike K

The old 15 route, Harborne to Quinton Road West via Tennal Road was a short one for a Birmingham route at least, taking only 13 minutes from terminus to terminus. Interworked with the 10.

Later renumbered 20 and underwent a number of changes over the years.

paulb1973

Quote from: Sandy Lane on February 02, 2022, 09:31:34 PM
Way back in time Coventry there was a Pool Meadow - Broadgate - Station route. About 1 mile and ran every 10 mins.  Could be done sometimes in 7 mins. PVR of 2.

That was the 25 (which was replaced by the 17/27 in April 1985). But WMPTE did run the 11 City, Pool Meadow - Whoberley (Brookside Ave) which was quite short, but perhaps not as short as the 18E City - Earlsdon (Beechwood Ave) which existed in the mid and late 80s.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: paulb1973 on February 03, 2022, 04:07:24 PM
That was the 25 (which was replaced by the 17/27 in April 1985). But WMPTE did run the 11 City, Pool Meadow - Whoberley (Brookside Ave) which was quite short, but perhaps not as short as the 18E City - Earlsdon (Beechwood Ave) which existed in the mid and late 80s.
Yep, that was it the 25. Single deck Bristols. Some were dual doors I think

37351ml

A contender must be the wb 777, became aware of it in the mid 80s always worked by a leyland national, ran from Bowstoke road departing 08.46 arriving hamstead junior school 08.51. There were 2 return journeys in the afternoon @ 15.20 & 16.05.

Stu

Quote from: 37351ml on February 03, 2022, 07:53:59 PM
A contender must be the wb 777, became aware of it in the mid 80s always worked by a leyland national, ran from Bowstoke road departing 08.46 arriving hamstead junior school 08.51. There were 2 return journeys in the afternoon @ 15.20 & 16.05.

Well that certainly beats my example of the 27S given in the opening post!

And it does make you wonder "what was the point of this?"

There could have been any number of reasons of course, but a bus route with a running time of just five minutes, could probably be walked in about 15 to 20 minutes.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

sonic84

That reminds me of the old 73 / 737 Birmingham International Station to Birmingham Business Park which was also a very short quick route. 20 mins round trip maybe?

don

Some of the Birmingham City Transport 'feeder routes' introduced in the mid 60s - examples are:-

35 - Kings Heath - Brandwood Park Road (a very small part of the now extensive 35 route). Originally run by Leyland PS2 fitted for one person operation (one, 2252, was even fitted out with Fleetline style seats and roof panelling). Also run by single deck Fleetlines 3473/4 (from Yardley Wood).

26 - Bromford Bridge Estate to Drews Lane - run by a range of stock from Washwood Heath Garage including Leyland Olympics, single deck Fleetlines, 35xx Met Cammell Fleetlines - and successively by new 3879/80; new 4171-74; new 6571-5; new 6866-70. Became a much longer route in its own right.

46 - Queslett Road to Boars Head - eventually extended to City Centre, and the first one person operated route to the city centre (single deck Fleetlines)
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

BBS

Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Was there a park and ride shuttle from Solihull Town Centre to the Car Park on Monkspath Hall Rd by Tudor Grange Park as there is a bus stop in the middle of the car park?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

the trainbasher

Quote from: 2206 on February 04, 2022, 12:39:23 AM
Was there a park and ride shuttle from Solihull Town Centre to the Car Park on Monkspath Hall Rd by Tudor Grange Park as there is a bus stop in the middle of the car park?

Yes there was iirc

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: 2206 on February 04, 2022, 12:39:23 AM

Yes, there was! Not sure if fares were charged though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk