News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

11A/C to be split up?

Started by metrocity, June 16, 2021, 07:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on June 21, 2021, 09:05:10 PM
So none through Acocks Green as well, quite a few people travelled through from my past experience.
I would still think a change of number would be best in that case. If its no longer a circular keeping the 11A/11C/11E and having 2 routes with the same numbers

It's not two routes. It's one overlapping route. London Transport have done similar for many years

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2021, 09:42:56 PM
It's not two routes. It's one overlapping route. London Transport have done similar for many years
From the way its been presented 2 routes, they have decided to give the same number to, overlapping on a very small (relative to the rest of the current route) section between Erdington and Perry Barr. For the vast majority its 2 separate routes.
So no Swan to Kings Heath as @monkeyjoe says.

Thats also a bit like trying to say the 23/24, 55/94 or X3/X4/X5 are one single overlapping route, because they share sections of route.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on June 21, 2021, 09:05:10 PM
So none through Acocks Green as well, quite a few people travelled through from my past experience.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 21, 2021, 09:40:44 PM
So you couldn't do Swan to kings heath for an example? Fair few years since I used it traffic most horrendous these days

You can still travel through, its just you may need to change onto another bus to continue your journey, or there'll be a wait in Acocks Green.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2021, 07:11:28 AM
You can still travel through, its just you may need to change onto another bus to continue your journey, or there'll be a wait in Acocks Green.
When I say travel through I mean on a through direct bus. With no changing.
As that was also the idea of the cross city routes, so people can travel through without having to change I think. I wonder if those will ever happen?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mikestone

They'll happen because they are being touted as improving air quality by reducing the number of buses in the city centre - whether they last is another matter.

Quote from: metrocity on June 22, 2021, 11:53:56 AM
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/service-updates/11a11c-outer-circle-route-changes
"There will be a stop change in Erdington as buses will no longer use the Wood End Lane stop. Buses will now use the 11C stop on Sutton New Road, near to Big John's."

So they've confirmed this, people will be getting on the 11A when they want the 11C in Erdington and vice versa. People are obviously going to be confused by that. Clearly no logic with some of these changes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Pat

This makes more sense now.  So both routes will be split into two sections:

11A
Section 1 - Acocks Green to Perry Barr
Section 2 - Erdington to Acocks Green

11C
Section 1 - Acocks Green to Erdington
Section 2 - Perry Barr to Acocks Green

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on June 22, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
So they've confirmed this, people will be getting on the 11A when they want the 11C in Erdington and vice versa. People are obviously going to be confused by that. Clearly no logic with some of these changes.

The only people that will be confused are the ones who don't pay attention to what the display on the front of the bus says.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
The only people that will be confused are the ones who don't pay attention to what the display on the front of the bus says.
And then there will be people who don't know what the letters mean, as you will have the 11A to Acocks Green and the 11C to Acocks Green, going completly different ways from the same stop. When its been operating one way for so long people won't be expecting it to change, so people might get on without realising.
It goes against operating a simple and easy to understand network, that has been moved towards over the last few years, 23/24 to Harborne, X20/X21/X22 to QE/Uni. So I think its somewhat of a backwards change.

And I guess it might be simple for you to understand as a bus enthusiast, but whether it is for the general public is another matter.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

monkeyjoe

Sounds like some clever software has worked it all out, sure will go back to normal once works are finished etc. Maybe a bit like the scaled down version ie 55.

Steveminor

One thing to note on the route number is the recharge factor.
Tfwm add a charge for changing the flags if the service numbers change & on a route like the 11A/C this charge would be quite considerable. Since it's only temporary it makes financial sense to NOT change the number

Westy

Currently do the 11's terminate as such, like they keep going round & round the circle, until either the bus or driver needs to change, or returns to depot?

The reason I ask is a few years ago, I took a trip on the Circle,  basically just for the sheer hell of it.

I got on at Erdington & continued to Acocks Green depot,  where we were told to change buses to continue our journey.

What is the difference between that and what will happen in 'future ' for now?

Quote from: Westy on June 22, 2021, 10:02:22 PM
Currently do the 11's terminate as such, like they keep going round & round the circle, until either the bus or driver needs to change, or returns to depot?

The reason I ask is a few years ago, I took a trip on the Circle,  basically just for the sheer hell of it.

I got on at Erdington & continued to Acocks Green depot,  where we were told to change buses to continue our journey.

What is the difference between that and what will happen in 'future ' for now?
Drivers change with passengers onboard. No termination point, though they do layover at Acocks Green Village.
New routes are 1 Perry Barr to Acocks Green and 2. Erdington to Acocks Green via Bearwood.

The bus you were on might have had a fault or been adjusted or something.
One time someone had spilt an alcoholic drink over the floor on the 11C, so the driver drove it up to the depot 11A stop and mopped the bus meenwhile a load of passengers boarded the service wanting to go to the Fox & Goose while the driver was getting the mop, back down to Acocks Green Village and turned around to head the other way.  And there'd been enough layover time for it to depart on time. And after a few stops some elderly women were shouting at the driver that he is going the wrong way, then more people came down the stairs as they realised they are on the wrong bus.
Highlights the problem the Erdington stop is going to cause. To them they saw 11 and just got on.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk