News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus full

Started by Steveminor, June 02, 2020, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 31, 2020, 11:57:02 AM
I've just been on a 28 from Halesowen to merry hill. 10 people on at one time. What's maximum capacity for 734 and other mini e200s?

D10

Quote from: Steveminor on July 31, 2020, 10:36:09 AM
In my opinion it would depend on what the advisory distancing capacity was for that bus, if it were say 10 then the driver may have already used his discretion 3 times already. How many times would he use his discretion, it could end up being a full seated load which given the circumstances would not be a good thing.

The driver told her that his capacity was 13 and as he had that many on that was it. I appreciate the Covid circumstances, but I don't think leaving an elderly lady behind is a good thing either.

Steveminor

Not aware of any buses with a capacity of 13, optares & e200s are 10 or 11 depending on layout wright volvos around 20/22 depending on layout. It sounds like he had already gone over his capacity & therefore couldn't use any more dispensation.
I know it's not ideal but let's say he had let her on & others & then passengers on board caught covid as a result, I'm sure you'd be less happy with that situation. That's why government advice is to only use public transport as a last resort.

Diamond ( & other operators) should be commended for looking more at health & safety of passengers rather than trying to get as much revenue as possible. I know a lot if people wont see it that way but it's my personal opinion

Quote from: Steveminor on August 03, 2020, 05:27:21 PM
That's why government advice is to only use public transport as a last resort.

Diamond ( & other operators) should be commended for looking more at health & safety of passengers rather than trying to get as much revenue as possible. I know a lot if people wont see it that way but it's my personal opinion
However you could look at it the other way and say if something happened to a vulnerable passenger left alone at the bus stop and if it did, they "don't care much for the safety of their passengers". Paticularly where the service is infrequent such as in this case, or if it was the last bus of the day.

Bus times suggests the vehicle was SN68AJG - so a Streetlite. Not sure what the capacity on them is?

Regarding your point about public transport should only be used as a last resort. There are pleanty of people who have no other option. I can't see anything that suggests otherwise either. It could also have been been a vital journey they were making - such as hospital appointment or something.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

the trainbasher

That's why government advice is to only use public transport as a last resort.

Um, actually gov.uk doesn't say that. It says "You can help control coronavirus and travel safely by walking and cycling, if you can. Where this is not possible, use public transport or drive".

Yes they should be commended but at the same time they should not be stranding vulnerable members of the public.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Gareth

What if this was 'normal' times and the bus was full. Same situation. Leave a passenger at the stop or exceed legal and safe capacity. It's exactly the same. If the bus is at capacity, the bus is at capacity.

Pat

Quote from: Gareth on August 03, 2020, 06:17:15 PM
What if this was 'normal' times and the bus was full. Same situation. Leave a passenger at the stop or exceed legal and safe capacity. It's exactly the same. If the bus is at capacity, the bus is at capacity.
I've been on buses where the drivers don't give a stuff about capacity.  I was once on a Stagecoach Bluebird Volvo B7/Plaxton Profile coach that had standing passengers on, even though it is illegal for passengers to stand on those types of vehicles.  Not to mention exceeding capacity!  No handrails or anything to hold on to.  Imagine if he had to brake sharply or had an accident.

windy miller

I went to see an elderly relative in leeds recently which involved a local train and a bus.
  I noticed that many train operators appear to have adopted the government policy to
allow a 1 metre+ distance where the 2 metre guidline is unavoidable. Some of the peak
train services were clearly on the limit but at least there were train staff boarding each
service with cleansing materials before departure. Some envigulators and BTP were also boarding trains to make sure passengers were wearing a mask. If the alternative to public transport is to walk, cycle or drive then a lot of elderly folk may never leave home 
Many city centre shops may be open but they are unlikely to survive on local custom
alone. With a congestion charge pending + parking charge + petrol the cost is far more
than the 'post office '48' on line alternative. I think many business's may be left with two options...voluntary liquidation now or bankrupcy in 6 months....  Ask John lewis...         

Mind the Gap.....?:-)

ellspurs

In Nottingham, I haven't seen signs up/inside the NCT or TrentBarton buses and I have seen quite a few packed buses.

I did see customers socially distance queueing the other week, half snaking down Queen Street whilst waiting for one of the 49 Boots buses at 0530.

Steveminor

The trouble is that as lockdown eases more people are trying or expecting to go back to a normal way of life whilst the virus is still in circulation.
As we're seeing in spain Australia & other countries this virus is far to contagious to do that. We cannot let up our guard the only way to save our economy is for EVERYONE to start following the guidance given.

Westy

What should be the capacity on a Solo?

I've seen 7 & 11 on Diamond, so whether there's notices not been updated, I don't know?

Steveminor

The guidance is for 1 meter so would depend on the layout of the seating

ellspurs

Pulling back on this thread, today I saw a service entering Bedford Bus station displaying "Bus Full" on its main matrix. I don't know which service it was, as there was no number displayed, but it was a Bedford Bus (Stagecoach).

sonic84

I saw a 13A displaying bus full this morning heading towards Blackheath by Shell Corner that was practically empty.

Do the drivers get notified when to turn this on and off?

Lukeee

Quote from: sonic84 on May 04, 2021, 06:09:51 PM
I saw a 13A displaying bus full this morning heading towards Blackheath by Shell Corner that was practically empty.

Do the drivers get notified when to turn this on and off?

No its up to the driver to turn it on when the bus had reached max capacity and then turn it off when the bus has emptied up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk