News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Social distancing on buses, post Lockdown.

Started by ellspurs, May 27, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 07:38:58 PM
It's being written into psv regulations so it will be the drivers responsibility to police it just like any other psv regulation.
People with respiratory illnesses may have trouble with medical grade face masks but we're talking about face coverings even a scarf so that doesn't hold up.

I'm sure other PSV regulations include things like smoking on buses, but I don't see many drivers willing to enforce this.  ???

I've since read that the 'face covering' requirement itself looks quite vague, with people being encouraged to 'make their own'. So perhaps I could get away with getting on the bus while covering my nose and mouth with my hand? As that would be just as effective as putting a piece of flannel or towel across my face.

:D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steveminor

I suppose you could just cover your nose & mouth as long as you did that for your entire journey, I think a much more comfortable method would be a neckercheif covers the nose & mouth light to wear & easy to pull down once you're off the bus or train

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 07:38:58 PM
Firstly I'll state these are my own personal opinions.

It's being written into psv regulations so it will be the drivers responsibility to police it just like any other psv regulation.
People with respiratory illnesses may have trouble with medical grade face masks but we're talking about face coverings even a scarf so that doesn't hold up.

The virus death rate etc. Yes I'm fed up with it & dont like all these measures & it does seem silly when you consider what a small percentage of the population has unfortunately died from covid 19. But how would you feel if you or a close loved one died from the disease, maybe then you would appreciate the measures that are being taken & even insist on more.
Whilst fully accepting the mandatory decision taken by H M GOVERNMENT today having to have used buses to & from QEHB throughout the pandemic for the last 10 weeks without face protection I cannot see how face protection enforced now will make the slightest difference in the spread of Covid-19 and is simply another burden to add to the hard working bus drivers from all operators

Steveminor

The difference is that with retail returning on 15th june there is an expectation that passenger numbers could increase & make social distancing more difficult. Whilst face coverings may not be 100% effective against the virus they will provide some protection & after all something is better than nothing.
I believe the government said early on in the pandemic, each measure alone may have little impact but all the measures combined may help reduce the spread of coronavirus.

I for one think this is a very good step forward & I know I'm not alone in my thoughts.
Didn't the transport focus survey show that the majority of passengers would feel more comfortable if face coverings became mandatory

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 08:04:56 PM
I suppose you could just cover your nose & mouth as long as you did that for your entire journey, I think a much more comfortable method would be a neckercheif covers the nose & mouth light to wear & easy to pull down once you're off the bus or train

I have brought a half balaclava which I can pull up to my nose when needed and pull down when not required. It's washable too.

Maybe this is mandatory once the 15th comes as the increase of passengers will make social distancing impossible and operators only have a certain amount of surplus vehicles due to the restricted services
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Pat

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 09:42:39 PM
The difference is that with retail returning on 15th june there is an expectation that passenger numbers could increase & make social distancing more difficult. Whilst face coverings may not be 100% effective against the virus they will provide some protection & after all something is better than nothing.
I believe the government said early on in the pandemic, each measure alone may have little impact but all the measures combined may help reduce the spread of coronavirus.

I for one think this is a very good step forward & I know I'm not alone in my thoughts.
Didn't the transport focus survey show that the majority of passengers would feel more comfortable if face coverings became mandatory
I think the whole idea of face coverings is psychological in that people feel more at ease and safer if they're wearing a face covering, even though scientists say it doesn't always help to protect you.

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on June 04, 2020, 09:44:20 PM
Maybe this is mandatory once the 15th comes as the increase of passengers will make social distancing impossible and operators only have a certain amount of surplus vehicles due to the restricted services
So they won't be using the "Bus Full" display after this date, as I though this is the purpose of it.
Quote from: Pat on June 04, 2020, 10:30:47 PM
I think the whole idea of face coverings is psychological in that people feel more at ease and safer if they're wearing a face covering, even though scientists say it doesn't always help to protect you.
If its just physcological, I wouldn't think its the case with everyone however, otherwise more people would have been wearing them up until now anyway.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on June 04, 2020, 11:01:52 PM
Clearly not the case with everyone however, otherwise everyone would be wearing them at present anyway.
Yes, not the case with everyone as you say.  However, there still remains those who think that wearing a mask will protect them no matter what the scientists say.  They've got into that mindset, and still continue to wear them despite scientists telling us that they aren't always effective.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 09:42:39 PM

I think that is utter rubbish having no immune system and most likely the most vulnerable person on the forum I have continued to use the bus network throughout the Covid lockdown to attend the QEHB and everyone has used common sense on the buses I have used the mandatory use of face masks will lead to complacency and ultimately death for me from Covid-19 following the use of face masks giving an I'll conceived confidence from those using the bus using masks.

Gareth

I actually had to use a bus today for the first time in almost 12 weeks. About 10 people in total on the bus. The driver, myself and one other passenger wearing a face covering. I do however feel for drivers and potential abuse and rule breaking. Two people got on the bus without paying or out of date pass and proceeded to come upstairs. Laughing as they'd got away with it and that the driver wouldn't do anything about it as 'he's hardly gonna get out of his cab these days is he?'. That made me more angry than lack of masks on other passengers.

Quote from: Gareth on June 04, 2020, 11:24:22 PM
Two people got on the bus without paying or out of date pass and proceeded to come upstairs. Laughing as they'd got away with it and that the driver wouldn't do anything about it as 'he's hardly gonna get out of his cab these days is he?'.
That's disgusting I think.
I would report it, in the hope that their images can be found on the CCTV and they don't get away with it.
https://safertravel.info/advice-support/report-an-incident/
https://nationalexpressportal.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.app;jsessionid=ACCDA731D96BC36EA31A6098F1642529?type=Complaint&Login=false&st=EMBED&db=nRQPi90zCqO3syQeiKMi%2Bg%3D%3D&MenuContext=UKBUS&csrfhash=sOAfPr_B282c8P3lqaROa1vzkhloGjaq7YXMop7SvOAsI5hdb3uXTLZGegj-g7F58iVifQeE3-DNU7yFJ8adgNl02G7O7gJO02-oKfkJBh81FnqBVeFJDDXHXeavjuheBK0AehoWgfseD9sIbkD3KMp4DvVaADowUGjZanj2b64%3D.XP5Nr9bYbpzUPG4CtA5ONw%3D%3D%7E%21
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 04, 2020, 11:18:02 PM
I think that is utter rubbish having no immune system and most likely the most vulnerable person on the forum I have continued to use the bus network throughout the Covid lockdown to attend the QEHB and everyone has used common sense on the buses I have used the mandatory use of face masks will lead to complacency and ultimately death for me from Covid-19 following the use of face masks giving an I'll conceived confidence from those using the bus using masks.

Didn't Richard regularly go to QE too?

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on June 04, 2020, 08:04:56 PM
Really have you actually used a bus during the Covid lockdown everyone seems to have survived without the Dick Turpin look .

SK68MEV

Seen a 11C yesterday on Stechford lane but it said Bus Full Due to social distancing
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Steveminor

Quote from: SK68MEV on June 05, 2020, 01:32:06 AM
Seen a 11C yesterday on Stechford lane but it said Bus Full Due to social distancing
Theres a separate tread to log bus full sightings

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk