News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Social distancing on buses, post Lockdown.

Started by ellspurs, May 27, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Pat on May 29, 2020, 06:14:55 PM
So will school buses still be running then?  NX would still be contracted to run the service, as the school is open and there would be a requirement for it?
Very few school buses are contracted

Pat

Quote from: Tony on May 29, 2020, 06:16:28 PM
Very few school buses are contracted
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.  Will school services, contracted or commercial, be operating as of June?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on May 29, 2020, 06:23:40 PM
So those contracted routes will obviously run, but what about the commercial school services?

That depends on whether the contractor wants to pay for them.
Most of the commercial school services are just part of main services now, for instance a duplicate 76 or one journey doing a slight variation to a journey on the 1 route.

To be honest I cannot see any school buses running until September for what would be an average of 4 pupils

Pat

Quote from: Tony on May 29, 2020, 06:28:02 PM
That depends on whether the contractor wants to pay for them.
Most of the commercial school services are just part of main services now, for instance a duplicate 76 or one journey doing a slight variation to a journey on the 1 route.

To be honest I cannot see any school buses running until September for what would be an average of 4 pupils
It makes sense not to run them, given the high costs involved.  But wouldn't the contracts for contracted services be already paid, as I presume they are paid annually or at the start of the contract in which case they have to run as the school is open?

D10

Quote from: Pat on May 29, 2020, 07:24:18 PM
It makes sense not to run them, given the high costs involved.  But wouldn't the contracts for contracted services be already paid, as I presume they are paid annually or at the start of the contract in which case they have to run as the school is open?

In terms of payment made it depends. When I used to get involved in School Bus Invoicing some were paid termly and some monthly in arrears. If necessary a Credit Note could be sent out if the bus didn't actually operate.

Quote from: Pat on May 29, 2020, 07:24:18 PM
It makes sense not to run them, given the high costs involved.
Wouldn't that mean they'll all be getting on other services instead? (My mistake there).

Are any of those NX run contracted?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on May 29, 2020, 08:31:37 PM

No, because as I said if a school bus carried 80 children only about 4 would be attending each day

JoNi

Quote from: 2206 on May 29, 2020, 08:31:37 PM
Wouldn't that mean they'll all be getting on other services instead? (My mistake there).

In this brave new world of more working from home more parents could potentially take them in their cars or they could walk or cycle slowing traffic and buses down even more than it was already!

Quote from: JoNi on May 30, 2020, 07:04:00 AM
or they could walk or cycle slowing traffic and buses down even more than it was already!
They could, but then again they'd probably be doing that anyway if they were going to.
Some of them probably travel to far for that in some cases as well. One of the X22's took a full bus load of school kids from King Edwards Five Ways in Bartley Green all the way to New Street Station everytime  I caught it. And presumably they then make an onward journey from there.
It was an early afternoon journey at about 1PM.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

This morning, the 0423 Stagecoach 767 service from Nuneaton to Tamworth had three buses allocated to it. I passed them coming up Tuttle Hill as I was heading down and off towards Ely. They had no passengers on them there, so I'd make a guess that they were for the night workers coming out of Birch Coppice towards Tamworth.

ellspurs

Wolverhampton Council have enforced bus stop changes from next week in their City Centre to aid with social distancing.

Pat

Quote from: ellspurs on June 04, 2020, 04:45:09 PM
Wolverhampton Council have enforced bus stop changes from next week in their City Centre to aid with social distancing.
Am I missing something here?  How does rerouting bus services along the same stretch of road more or less help with social distancing? 

TT90

Grant Shapps Transport Sec is now saying face coverings will be mandatory on public transport from 15th June.

How will the be enforced on buses ? Surely drivers can't be made to enforce this ?

Pat

Quote from: TT90 on June 04, 2020, 05:35:32 PM
Grant Shapps Transport Sec is now saying face coverings will be mandatory on public transport from 15th June.

How will the be enforced on buses ? Surely drivers can't be made to enforce this ?
If drivers couldn't enforce it, then who would?  I think it would be a matter of being refused travel if you weren't wearing a face mask.

ellspurs

Quote from: Pat on June 04, 2020, 05:14:54 PM
Am I missing something here?  How does rerouting bus services along the same stretch of road more or less help with social distancing?

I found a newspaper article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/wolverhampton-ring-road-speed-limit-18338016

Road closures and pavement widening and such other things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk