News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service 10H service changes

Started by Bus Man K2, February 21, 2020, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus Man K2

Just to let all of you know that from 15th March 2020 that the 10H service will be renumbered to service 25. This has been added to the new 15th March 2020 Area Map and Guide which will be added to the map and guide page on WMN website in early March.

sonic84

Quote from: sonic84 on February 21, 2020, 06:02:32 PM
Is there any change to the route?
If there's not any change to the route, then it seems a pointless thing to do.
Since there's nothing wrong with the current route number. Not many use that route, but would probably just cause confusion to the few that do.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on February 21, 2020, 06:04:36 PM
If there's not any change to the route, then it seems a pointless thing to do.
Since there's nothing wrong with the current route number. Not many use that route, but would probably just cause confusion to the few that do.

That's just NX for you. Change for change sake!!!!

Yep there's a slight change of route. It will now do a loop at the Hospital end. So it'll operate as it does now to the Hospital but theon the way back to Brum it will operate via Metchley Lane, Somerset Rd back to the normal line of route.

MW

It's called marketing...

That's why they change route numbers.

Quote from: MW on February 21, 2020, 09:01:03 PM
It's called marketing...

That's why they change route numbers.
Maybe in the case of other routes renumbered such as the X1, X4, X20, etc it was.
But in the case of this one I doubt it, very poor hourly frequency and off peak only, no wander is so underused. Don't think it will make any difference at all whether its the 10H or the 25.
And other than conenting the QE/City Centre with Ladywood, Monument Road it doesn't really go anywhere that aren't served by other faster routes. So can't be many people that they can promote the route to who would use it.

If it will still be using the X20/X21/X22 Platinums, I wander whether they will bother to put next stop announcements on them for the 25.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on February 21, 2020, 09:06:20 PM
Maybe in the case of other routes renumbered such as the X1, X4, X20, etc it was.
But in the case of this one I doubt it, very poor hourly frequency and off peak only, no wander is so underused. Don't think it will make any difference at all whether its the 10H or the 25.
And other than conenting the QE/City Centre with Ladywood, Monument Road it doesn't really go anywhere that aren't served by other faster routes.

If it will still be using the X20/X21/X22 Platinums, I wander whether they will bother to put next stop announcements on them for the 25.

I get where both of you are coming from, however it is down to marketing. So for example the X20 is a fast link between Birmingham and QEH (although it doesnt directly servde the main entrance) and the 10H (soon to be the 25) actually serves the Main entrance of the hospital.. In one sense it makes sense to keep the H involved with the route because the H could be a suffex useds as a letter for the Hospital services. Much like the Hospital service in Staffod the operator of the service operates it a a H service and not a numbered service. But this is NX we're talking about. They like to mess around with services so much. That people moan (with good intentions) to NX. And no that's not a dig at you @Tony  before you coment on this coment!!! 😁

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 21, 2020, 09:30:51 PM
I get where both of you are coming from, however it is down to marketing. So for example the X20 is a fast link between Birmingham and QEH (although it doesnt directly servde the main entrance) and the 10H (soon to be the 25) actually serves the Main entrance of the hospital..
From what I've seen the vast majority of people travelling from the Hospital to Birmingham City Centre would rather walk 2/3 minutes up to Uni Station and catch the regular and faster X20's
In addition when the 10H has turned up at Uni Station, you sometimes get people who ask it if its going to the City Centre, they usually get straight off when the driver tells them its going through Ladywood first. And a few OAP's where shouting about it being "ridiculous when the X20 is so quick" the other week.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sayeed

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 21, 2020, 08:44:08 PM
Yep there's a slight change of route. It will now do a loop at the Hospital end. So it'll operate as it does now to the Hospital but theon the way back to Brum it will operate via Metchley Lane, Somerset Rd back to the normal line of route.

All in all, glad the route still carries on even if it carries few passengers.
Век живи - век учись

MasterPlan

Is this actually official that it's replacing the 10H though or is this more rumours?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

ellspurs

But the 25 goes from Erdington to Ward End...

Why complicate it further?

Mike K

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 21, 2020, 09:30:51 PM
I get where both of you are coming from, however it is down to marketing. So for example the X20 is a fast link between Birmingham and QEH (although it doesnt directly servde the main entrance) and the 10H (soon to be the 25) actually serves the Main entrance of the hospital.. In one sense it makes sense to keep the H involved with the route because the H could be a suffex useds as a letter for the Hospital services. Much like the Hospital service in Staffod the operator of the service operates it a a H service and not a numbered service. But this is NX we're talking about. They like to mess around with services so much. That people moan (with good intentions) to NX. And no that's not a dig at you @Tony  before you coment on this coment!!! 😁

Despite what it says on the side of the buses, the X20 is anything but fast. Direct, maybe, but along Edgbaston Park Road, not fast, and not exactly limited stop either.

Quote from: Mike K on February 21, 2020, 11:40:42 PM
Despite what it says on the side of the buses, the X20 is anything but fast. Direct, maybe, but along Edgbaston Park Road, not fast, and not exactly limited stop either.
From my experience offpeak it can  be fairly quick. Fairly slow at peak times though, especially Edgbaston Park Road, due to congestion.
Although the X20's are still the fastest service and are heavily used. Nobody wants to got on a detour via Ladywood, since time is important to most people.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Mike K on February 21, 2020, 11:40:42 PM

I find the 61/63 quicker to catch from university to centre than the X20's. I know they depart from different stops.

The 10H seems incredibly unreliable from what I observe.

DJ

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 22, 2020, 07:56:34 AM
I find the 61/63 quicker to catch from university to centre than the X20's. I know they depart from different stops.

The 10H seems incredibly unreliable from what I observe.

It's another 15/20 mins walk to the 61/63 though, not exactly doable for some people.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk