News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service changes 28th April 2019

Started by winston, February 28, 2019, 11:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: andy41 on March 15, 2019, 09:06:47 PM
Words for starting a 20 minute service from Birmingham to Lichfield in 2019 with more trains than ever before, offering quicker journeys on every possible section than a bus could ever be capable of? Let me see....
Obviously I've no idea of any passenger figures, but from what my observations:
People still seem to use the X3/X4/X5 between Sutton and Birmingham where the train is an option and though there being an almost identical rail line and they seem to be very busy routes.
The X1 seems to carry a fair amount of through passengers to the Airport/NEC from Birmingham City Centre at peak times despite the train being an option.
X20/X21/X22 seem to carry a lot of people to the Uni/QE from the City Centre as well whenever i've been on them, at peak times the stand for these services can be full of people waiting to go there, though the train is again an option there.

Maybe there is a chance that it will do well?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: andy41 on March 15, 2019, 09:06:47 PM
Words for starting a 20 minute service from Birmingham to Lichfield in 2019 with more trains than ever before, offering quicker journeys on every possible section than a bus could ever be capable of? Let me see....

Train return fare £8.50, Bus return fare £4.50 using contactless. gives people a choice

winston

Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
Train return fare £8.50, Bus return fare £4.50 using contactless. gives people a choice

Not a bad difference for people making that journey even if only once a week.

andy41

Quote from: 2206 on March 15, 2019, 09:11:24 PM
Obviously I've no idea of any passenger figures, but from what my observations:
People still seem to use the X3/X4/X5 between Sutton and Birmingham where the train is an option and though there being an almost identical rail line and they seem to be very busy routes.
The X1 seems to carry a fair amount of through passengers to the Airport/NEC from Birmingham City Centre at peak times despite the train being an option.
X20/X21/X22 seem to carry a lot of people to the Uni/QE from the City Centre as well whenever i've been on them, at peak times the stand for these services can be full of people waiting to go there, though the train is again an option there.

Maybe there is a chance that it will do well?

Totally incomparable examples though. They are all corridors where there are lots of places that lots of people can catch a bus but aren't anywhere near a station. Not so once you leave Four Oaks towards Lichfield.

And while the bus will be nearly half the price, it will take more than twice as long in some cases. That's all most people care about. That's why the X51 does so well against the train from Walsall. It's not the fare, it's because it's quicker and more frequent.

Tony

Quote from: andy41 on March 15, 2019, 09:42:22 PM
Totally incomparable examples though. They are all corridors where there are lots of places that lots of people can catch a bus but aren't anywhere near a station. Not so once you leave Four Oaks towards Lichfield.

And while the bus will be nearly half the price, it will take more than twice as long in some cases. That's all most people care about. That's why the X51 does so well against the train from Walsall. It's not the fare, it's because it's quicker and more frequent.

They're not. Have a look how many people catch the bus in Sutton town centre to Birmingham, or Erdington, Station Road stop to Birmingham. Lots of people prefer the bus to the train. If you study/work at Aston University for example as many thousands do 15 minutes of the time gained on the train is lost again in the walk from the station.

andy41

Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2019, 09:48:32 PM
They're not. Have a look how many people catch the bus in Sutton town centre to Birmingham, or Erdington, Station Road stop to Birmingham. Lots of people prefer the bus to the train. If you study/work at Aston University for example as many thousands do 15 minutes of the time gained on the train is lost again in the walk from the station.

But the journey time from Lichfield will be the issue. The bus stands up against the train from Wylde Green, Erdington etc for journey time, but it won't on the other side of Sutton.
I used to drive the 112 and the 912 and the constant queue of traffic from Four Oaks into Sutton got rid of everyone, and it's worse now. I just can't see the numbers stacking up. Especially on the NX fare structure.

Trident 4194

Are platinum vehicles to be used on this new litchfield service?

SG

Has anyone else heard the rumour that NXWM are also looking at the Sutton to Tamworth corridor also?

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 15, 2019, 09:57:24 PM
Are platinum vehicles to be used on this new litchfield service?
If they are than PB will need more Platinums, maybe some will come for them in the next order.

Quote from: Jack on March 15, 2019, 10:02:52 PM
If they are than PB will need more Platinums, maybe some will come for them in the next order.
Its already been confirmed they won't need anymore.
Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2019, 06:49:05 PM
Perry Barr already have enough due to clever timetabling
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

l.murphy123

Quote from: Winston on March 15, 2019, 07:55:29 PM
If the new X51 Cannock extension is well used, I'm sure NX will consider introducing a Sunday daytime service in the future if the demand is there. It's now up to the people of Cannock & surrounding areas to help make it a success.

I have shared the information we know so far on my community facebook group and loads of people have said great news and expressed interest. Let's hope they use it too and the same enthusiasm is mirrored by elsewhere long the route!

With regards to the timings it would be good to see them running to Cannock later than the 2E, i.e. after 8pm, even if its only an extra journey around 9pm. We shall soon find out...
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

winston

Quote from: l.murphy123 on March 15, 2019, 11:23:19 PM
I have shared the information we know so far on my community facebook group and loads of people have said great news and expressed interest. Let's hope they use it too and the same enthusiasm is mirrored by elsewhere long the route!

With regards to the timings it would be good to see them running to Cannock later than the 2E, i.e. after 8pm, even if its only an extra journey around 9pm. We shall soon find out...

I'm sure NX would consider enhancing the timetable in the future if the current extension matches or exceeds loading/revenue expectations. Initially, it's about minimizing risk.

Much better to build on something established, than jump in with both feet then quickly withdraw the extension as a it failed to meet expectations. 

BK63 YWP

@Tony has pensnett got enough buses to cover the new routes coming in April?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on March 16, 2019, 08:02:05 PM
@Tony has pensnett got enough buses to cover the new routes coming in April?

It will have

karl724223

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk