News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

East Birmingham Sevice Changes - 4th June 2017

Started by 2206, April 10, 2017, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack D

What is going through shard end alongside 55 then ????

Brummie45

Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

monkeyjoe

We don't know the 96 x12 or 71 could be routed down there. I don't they will get rid of Morrisons - Shard end or I could be wrong.

suavegarv

If the 73 continued to stop at the Albert Street  stop in City Centre it would help reduce some of the packed 17's during rush hour.Don't know why it was shunted to Old Square when it transfered from Acocks Green to Central.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: suavegarv on April 26, 2017, 10:38:08 PM
If the 73 continued to stop at the Albert Street  stop in City Centre it would help reduce some of the packed 17's during rush hour.Don't know why it was shunted to Old Square when it transfered from Acocks Green to Central.
The 73 was moved to Old Square so it could interwork with the 70.

andy41

I bet all the through passengers from Castle Brom and Kingshurst to Solihull can't wait to have to start changing buses in Chelmsley Wood every day, that will really attract passengers. What's more any one way travellers who buy a single every day will now have to pay nearly double for the same journey. Wonderful progress.

winston

Quote from: andy41 on April 26, 2017, 11:39:38 PM
I bet all the through passengers from Castle Brom and Kingshurst to Solihull can't wait to have to start changing buses in Chelmsley Wood every day, that will really attract passengers. What's more any one way travellers who buy a single every day will now have to pay nearly double for the same journey. Wonderful progress.

I commented pretty much as long the same lines about the splitting of the 99, the daysaver is the answer & passengers have all time in the world to wait around for connecting buses

GeminiFan1991

Thing is, the way buses are, not everyone will benefit. Sometimes timetables synchronize perfect for people other times, its a case of waiting for a while. Although some routes change, it doesn't necessarily mean many people would be disadvantaged as I reckon that would have been taken into account when making the change.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

monkeyjoe

Quote from: andy41 on April 26, 2017, 11:39:38 PM

I guess they will have the x12 and more reliable 71/72, must be all the heavy traffic. I don't quite get with 70 71/72 being cut to help reliability. Why will the x12 fair any better and why is the 70/x70 still called as such and not changed back to 90/x90.

Brummie45

Having used the 72/94 from Birmingham to Smiths Wood to and from work for years, Washwood Heath Roads problem is the traffic lights at Drews Lane junction which causes the traffic to queue back up the hill to Aston Church Road and beyond towards Saltlley Gate.

Making the 70 the X70 and the 72 linking up with the 966 to form the X12 won't eradicate the delays. All it will do is make the X12 unreliable at peak times.

The use of Aston Church Road can actually not be any quicker. Claribels use it now and again in the rush hour.

andy41

Quote from: Winston on April 27, 2017, 12:33:13 AM
I commented pretty much as long the same lines about the splitting of the 99, the daysaver is the answer & passengers have all time in the world to wait around for connecting buses

This is exactly the sort of thing that puts passengers off bus travel for good Winston. A one bus journey costing £2.50 vs a 2 bus journey costing min £4. What do you suppose they will choose to do? NX's obsession with the Daysaver and a one fare policy is driving people away from buses, they need to be more imaginative with their ticketing. They seem to be realising this with things like the new £1.50 short hops but then they go and do something as fundamentally ill thought out as this.

It is actually this policy that prevents them realising what they are doing wrong when they carve the service up too. Because of the flat fare system and wide use of the travelcard andy daysaver, the ETM data is now useless for telling the commercial department where their passengers are actually travelling. The driver can hit any destination for the £2.50 fare and the travelcard and daysaver acknowledgement button don't give a destination. This means the data tells you nothing about people's journeys anymore and the only way they would know they have large numbers of through passengers would be through physical surveying, which of course is impractical on a network the size of theirs.

The consequence is bad decisions.

winston

Quote from: andy41 on April 27, 2017, 10:10:04 AM
This is exactly the sort of thing that puts passengers off bus travel for good Winston. A one bus journey costing £2.50 vs a 2 bus journey costing min £4. What do you suppose they will choose to do? NX's obsession with the Daysaver and a one fare policy is driving people away from buses, they need to be more imaginative with their ticketing. They seem to be realising this with things like the new £1.50 short hops but then they go and do something as fundamentally ill thought out as this.

Totally agree. It's not just that, everyone is fighting time these days.... If you've got a network like the London Underground, where passengers can simply switch across lines with only having to wait for a few minutes for the connection, then fair enough. The spliting of lower frequency services will only discourage passengers having to switch, especially during peak times where services can be delayed due to taffic conditions and thus result in a long wait for the connectng service. Anyone with an alternative option, will use that instead.

The daysaver is all well & good to make saving for those that make regular return trips on split services, but not everyone does, some only go in one direction then come back via alternative means. For those people, they will be paying significantly more....

Brummie45

What NXWM need is a through fare ticket which would allow a connection between two bus services providing that the connection is made within a designated time.

Tony

Quote from: Brummie45 on April 27, 2017, 10:41:48 AM
What NXWM need is a through fare ticket which would allow a connection between two bus services providing that the connection is made within a designated time.

How many people make one single journey using two buses, but don't make either a return journey or a different journey later on?

winston

Quote from: Tony on April 27, 2017, 10:47:33 AM
How many people make one single journey using two buses, but don't make either a return journey or a different journey later on?

People that work shifts that finish late & get a lift/taxi home instead, people on a nights out that get taxi's home etc

I don't see how NX can know who travels what/where/when & how often when it comes to cash payers. They only record the data where passengers get on, they don't know where they got off or where else the daysaver ticket has been used & how often, as the aren't scanned and the data recorded. 

If daysaver tickets had a bar code on then that could be scanned for each journey it would also cutout fraud and provde comprehensive journey data.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk