News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus Lanes in Birmingham

Started by the trainbasher, March 23, 2017, 04:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: Winston on October 03, 2019, 11:29:33 AM
E&S article to go with above:
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2019/10/02/dudley-and-birmingham-bus-services-to-get-30-million-overhaul/

So it says links to South and West Birmingham will be focused on. Can't come soon enough in all honesty as most roads are like a car park come rush hour at the moment.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

There are two bus lanes I can think of that are seemingly pointless, Stratford Road in Sparkbrook (from city), and Moseley Road in Balsall Heath (again from city).

Why pointless? On the Stratford Road, because the lanes are narrow, queuing traffic in the middle lane often straddle the line, meaning that buses can't move freely along. Oh and of course idiots who half-park on the pavement don't help.

As for Moseley Road, the bus lane is useless because of all the cars that park in it, despite the notices advising of the times that the bus lane is in operation.

The council needs to start enforcing these red-route restrictions, as well as enforcing these bus lanes, and not just the ones in the city centre.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on October 03, 2019, 07:25:36 PM
There are two bus lanes I can think of that are seemingly pointless, Stratford Road in Sparkbrook (from city), and Moseley Road in Balsall Heath (again from city).

Why pointless? On the Stratford Road, because the lanes are narrow, queuing traffic in the middle lane often straddle the line, meaning that buses can't move freely along. Oh and of course idiots who half-park on the pavement don't help.

As for Moseley Road, the bus lane is useless because of all the cars that park in it, despite the notices advising of the times that the bus lane is in operation.

The council needs to start enforcing these red-route restrictions, as well as enforcing these bus lanes, and not just the ones in the city centre.

I agree with you there. Both roads have absolutely useless bus lanes. On Moseley Road particularly, it's extremely frustrating. My tactic was always squeeze the bus in so there's millimetres of space and as soon as the driver clocks the bus from their passenger window, they'd usually shit themselves thinking you're about to knock off their side mirror. A good feature on Diamonds latest Streetlite (finally!) is the bandit alarm which scares the absolute life out of people. Very loud alarm.

When people see how close a bus is to them, they usually panic. The funniest scenario, as I'm sure all the other bus drivers on here will know, is when you're taking a tight left turn and oncoming traffic basically will throw a bitch fit thinking your front end will swipe their car off the road lol. Whitlocks End Station onto Petersbrook Road is a funny one in particular. You can calculate where the front end of the bus will swing before you turn but normal road users start shuffling their cars about usually making the situation difficult and then will verbally abuse you even though you, as the professional driver, know full well that you'll completely miss them lol. Sorry, went off topic there.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 03, 2019, 01:43:07 PM
So it says links to South and West Birmingham will be focused on. Can't come soon enough in all honesty as most roads are like a car park come rush hour at the moment.

Interesting the article says focus on links to south and west of birmingham. Nx buses write the strategy then, typical.

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 04, 2019, 05:30:43 PM
Interesting the article says focus on links to south and west of birmingham. Nx buses write the strategy then, typical.

If you read the article in full, it does not mention NX at all, apart from the end when it is referring to the proposed West Dudley changes.

I can see what you're trying to allude to, but its not working here.  ;)
My locals:

Stu

Quote from: Stu on October 03, 2019, 07:25:36 PM

Interestingly, a day after I posted this comment here, Birmingham City Council have launched a consultation on a series of proposals for new bus priority measures on Moseley Road and Alcester Road.  ;D

https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/economy/alcester-road-bus/

This is very welcome, but I have made it clear in my own comments on the consultation that these new bus lanes and parking restrictions will need to be enforced otherwise this is all just a colossal waste of time and taxpayers money, as per my original comment here on the lack of enforcement of the bus lane that currently exists.
My locals:

richardjones210368

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/transportplan

Birmingham City Council have just published thier long awaited plans for bus lanes and everything else in The City.

This is a matter for The City Council & Not The Mayor or WMCA.

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 13, 2020, 11:38:31 AM

Birmingham City Council have just published thier long awaited plans for bus lanes and everything else in The City.

"Reintroduction of cross city buses." (Page 27).
Wander what routes they plan to link together, or will these be completely new routes?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

richardjones210368

Quote from: 2206 on January 13, 2020, 11:47:42 AM
"Reintroduction of cross city buses." (Page 27).
Wander what routes they plan to link together, or will these be completely new routes?

It news to us we haven't got a clue Birmingham City Council are not responsible for buses it is of course under the control of The Mayor and depending on May there are no plans for anything such within a EP or QEP I am aware of however it will be discussed at the next Bus Alliance Board Meeting so I will let the forum know of any developments and when I see Cllr Kath Hartley next on the 28th as she is a Birmingham City Council councillor and also chairs the WMCA I will enquire what routes BCC would like to see joined together.

Busboy105

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 13, 2020, 11:38:31 AM

Is that a good idea? Considering the state of traffic in town? Isn't that the main reason why the PB66 was cut back to town all those years ago?

richardjones210368

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 13, 2020, 12:40:29 PM
Is that a good idea? Considering the state of traffic in town? Isn't that the main reason why the PB66 was cut back to town all those years ago?
Yes fully agree about the PB66 and the PB46 was cut from Cross City for the same reason wasn't it? Remember this a policy document from BCC and not the WMCA.

Busboy105

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 13, 2020, 12:43:51 PM
Yes fully agree about the PB66 and the PB46 was cut from Cross City for the same reason wasn't it? Remember this a policy document from BCC and not the WMCA.
Are cross city routes really necessary? I can understand them being there in Wolverhampton and Coventry but Birmingham is just too big and reliability will go through the roof nowadays with the traffic and endless roadworks.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 13, 2020, 01:27:46 PM
Are cross city routes really necessary? I can understand them being there in Wolverhampton and Coventry but Birmingham is just too big and reliability will go through the roof nowadays with the traffic and endless roadworks.
Fully Agree with all those points.

Lukeee

Agree with the above, cross city services will be unreliable unless you have generous drop back in the city centre but that will add to congestion having buses sat around waiting time

richardjones210368

The Mayor will be delighted to be able to take full credit for the expansion of bus lanes on the 50 82 87 despite the funding actually obtained primarily  by Birmingham City Council. A puff of white smoke will be seem emerging from The Mayoral Palace at 16 Summer Lane when Saint Pete makes the TfWM Official Announcement later in the month. I understand The Mayor will also be anointing further Cardinal type appointments in due course to implement the decree. One would expect him to appear on the balcony at Summer Lane at some point to the delight of his followers sure to gather in the square outside.I am sure there will be full coverage of this great event for all to see on CBBC Newsround without John Cravern.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHvGWhSDtfAbqAvbOXUP9U0qGQgEKhAIACoHCAow2c77CjC-yfQCMJzg0wU?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk