News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Lanes in Birmingham

Started by the trainbasher, March 23, 2017, 04:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

A recent freedom of information request made by myself has found that Birmingham City Council have had over 60 instances where the bus lane cameras has failed to enforce the restrictions of the bus lanes.

This data, provided by the City Council has shown that there has been 68 failures of the bus lane cameras that happened in the calendar year 2016.

There are various instances where the system it has failed to prove by way of photographic evidence that the contravention has occurred, or where the image quality was not sufficient to provide for the penalty charge notice to be issued.

The prolific camera that has failed was St Martin's Queensway in the direction of Moor Street Queensway, with 21 instances of failure.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MW

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 23, 2017, 04:59:53 PM
A recent freedom of information request made by myself has found that Birmingham City Council have had over 60 instances where the bus lane cameras has failed to enforce the restrictions of the bus lanes.

This data, provided by the City Council has shown that there has been 68 failures of the bus lane cameras that happened in the calendar year 2016.

There are various instances where the system it has failed to prove by way of photographic evidence that the contravention has occurred, or where the image quality was not sufficient to provide for the penalty charge notice to be issued.

The prolific camera that has failed was St Martin's Queensway in the direction of Moor Street Queensway, with 21 instances of failure.

I've driven through the City Centre via Priory Queensway and via St Martin's Queensway various times in the past 12 months and never received anything in the post about it.

Gareth

Quote from: MW on March 23, 2017, 05:32:06 PM
I've driven through the City Centre via Priory Queensway and via St Martin's Queensway various times in the past 12 months and never received anything in the post about it.

You'd probaly deny it was you or send off your fake log book or prove it wasn't you!

And what's with all the FOI requests that's been all over the forum recently?

the trainbasher

Quote from: Gareth on March 23, 2017, 06:19:39 PM
You'd probaly deny it was you or send off your fake log book or prove it wasn't you!

And what's with all the FOI requests that's been all over the forum recently?

Its holding the people in authority accountable...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 23, 2017, 04:59:53 PM

Not really surprising, that's the one in the tunnel, so any badly lit registration is going to be hard to identify

monkeyjoe

No one dares to use them in Ealing West London infact  people are so ........ here they don't even use them in the non peak hours when they can.

winston

New Sheepcote St Bus Lane has generated £6k in fines within it's first hour of operation, 54 drivers spotted ignoring signs within half hour period:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-brand-new-bus-lane-16854523

JoNi

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 25, 2017, 02:30:01 PM
No one dares to use them in Ealing West London infact  people are so ........ here they don't even use them in the non peak hours when they can.

Also I suspect because there is usually a bus or delivery truck in them. On the Uxbridge Road the 207, 427, 483 and 607 is more than 30 buses an hour even before you count the E routes!

Tony

Quote from: Winston on September 04, 2019, 01:15:19 PM
New Sheepcote St Bus Lane has generated £6k in fines within it's first hour of operation, 54 drivers spotted ignoring signs within half hour period:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-brand-new-bus-lane-16854523

If that is true how come TfL gets large amounts of money from bus lane fines?

winston

Quote from: Tony on September 04, 2019, 04:22:04 PM
If that is true how come TfL gets large amounts of money from bus lane fines?

Do know what your asking? Reply doesn't make sense

Tony

Quote from: Winston on September 04, 2019, 04:49:25 PM
Do know what your asking? Reply doesn't make sense

Sorry, was replying to the comment that no-one uses bus lanes in London, but clicked on the wrong comment on my phone

winston

Quote from: Tony on September 04, 2019, 06:58:31 PM
Sorry, was replying to the comment that no-one uses bus lanes in London, but clicked on the wrong comment on my phone

No worries, it's about time Birmingham City Council introduced more bus lanes & enforced them.....

winston

Government prepares for 'bus revolution' :

Seems interesting proposals for the WM as part of new Government initiative, plus wider measures which will also see funding to re-instate services that have been cut due to lack of funding

'The package also includes over £20 million for new bus express lanes in the West Midlands to make their buses, which carry over one million people per day, faster and more reliable'

https://cbwmagazine.com/government-prepares-for-bus-revolution/

Looks like good news for operators, and long overdue.....

winston

B.C Driver

There are instances where bus lanes have been lost lately due to the new cycle ways.

Selly Oak towards city by the old Sainsburys is one.

Newtown after the canal bridge towards New John St is another.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk