News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Proposed East Birmingham and North Solihull Service Changes.

Started by 2206, June 30, 2016, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on September 09, 2016, 07:41:04 PM
I would just called it the 57 more relevant to that corridor as used to operate that way.

That is exactly what I am going to email to NX. My original suggestion was to retain the 58 and 59 as they are, but curtail the current 60 service, but as Tony pointed out that would just confuse the current 60 passengers, so perhaps a new route number would be needed. 57 does seem more logical to me, as it still fits with the 58 and 59 services, even if they were curtailed at the Swan.

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on September 09, 2016, 07:47:59 PM
@Stu you mentioned the merger of the 58/9 as a potential Solihull to Kingshurst route which I see to be clever and seeing as the 960 isn't far off, how would you replace those 3 routes along the Coventry Road corridor ?

They would be replaced by the proposed new 15 service between city and Yardley, as well as more buses on the 900 and 957 and the new 960 service. Obviously this will mean that some passengers will have to change buses at the Swan for onward connections.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on September 09, 2016, 08:00:50 PM
That is exactly what I am going to email to NX. My original suggestion was to retain the 58 and 59 as they are, but curtail the current 60 service, but as Tony pointed out that would just confuse the current 60 passengers, so perhaps a new route number would be needed. 57 does seem more logical to me, as it still fits with the 58 and 59 services, even if they were curtailed at the Swan.

They would be replaced by the proposed new 15 service between city and Yardley, as well as more buses on the 900 and 957 and the new 960 service. Obviously this will mean that some passengers will have to change buses at the Swan for onward connections.

The logic behind renaming the 15 into the 57 is feasible and makes sense as although its essentially an "E" working of the route, passengers would go thinking it'd go all the way.

I just the read document and am surprised the 73 is being curtailed back to the Heartlands ? I know it used to terminate alongside the 28 at Bordesley Green East but I would have thought a decker going down Green Lane alleviates loadings on the 17 especially during peak as with 1st hand experience, it can get quite rammed.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on September 09, 2016, 07:31:00 PM
Not quite sure where the route number 15 has come from...

The City (Dale End) - Yardley (Swan) tram route was numbered 15 between 1915 and 1934, when it was replaced by trolleybuses. 

Is the person who has come up with the number now a tram enthusiast?  ;)

Quote from: Dom on September 09, 2016, 07:38:36 PM
I'd think the 58 and 59 would go to AG due to the amount of dead mileage if it stayed at BC
If the 58/59 proposed changes did happen and they went to AG, I wander if AG would get a  new vehicle type as the 58 can only operated by single deckers?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on September 09, 2016, 09:07:38 PM
If the 58/59 proposed changes did happen and they went to AG, I wander if AG would get a  new vehicle type as the 58 can only operated by single deckers?

And where in Acocks Green garage would these buses park?

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on September 09, 2016, 09:17:56 PM
And where in Acocks Green garage would these buses park?
If the proposed 58 and 59 continue to run from BC that would be ridiculous

Mike K

Quote from: Steve3229vp on September 09, 2016, 09:44:26 PM
If the proposed 58 and 59 continue to run from BC that would be ridiculous

It's only 4 miles from BC garage to The Swan and presumably some buses could run as 15s to and from The Swan as positioning journeys.

Personally I'm not sure about these proposed changes. If I lived on one of these routes and commuted into the city every day I'm not sure I'd be that impressed with having to change buses along the way.

Steve3229vp

The more I look at these changes the more sense they make, I think this will happen more widely with unreliable services becoming shorter with faster and simpler routes as the main connections. If the 15 is introduced it would be a good idea for it to be timetabled to run with the 17 to give a combined frequency from City to Coventry Road/Green Lane. I would also extend the 15 to terminate at Wagon Lane (Aldi)

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on September 10, 2016, 12:08:13 AM
Personally I'm not sure about these proposed changes. If I lived on one of these routes and commuted into the city every day I'm not sure I'd be that impressed with having to change buses along the way.

Yep, I agree with this.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

andy41

Quote from: Steve3229vp on September 12, 2016, 12:19:19 AM
The more I look at these changes the more sense they make, I think this will happen more widely with unreliable services becoming shorter with faster and simpler routes as the main connections. If the 15 is introduced it would be a good idea for it to be timetabled to run with the 17 to give a combined frequency from City to Coventry Road/Green Lane. I would also extend the 15 to terminate at Wagon Lane (Aldi)

It is a principle very widely accepted in London but it has never caught on here. People expect to be able to reach the city centre without the need for a connection as they have always been able to.

It won't be popular with Centro as concessionary holders and multi operator ticket holders making a return journey to the city via a connection will be recording 4 journeys each instead their current 2, which is another reason NX are probably keen to do it.

Stu

Quote from: andy41 on September 12, 2016, 11:06:59 AM
People expect to be able to reach the city centre without the need for a connection as they have always been able to.

And probably the same people who complain that buses on routes going in and out of the city centre are unreliable!

Quote from: Mike K on September 10, 2016, 12:08:13 AM

If I lived in Cranes Park (or the parts of the 58 and 69 beyond the Swan) I'm pretty sure that I'd change onto a 900/957 if there was one due in a couple of minutes, once the 58/69/60 got to the Coventry Road. Likewise, if I was heading home in the evening (from Bordesley station) if I just missed one, I'd jump on a 900/957 knowing that it would overtake the one I just missed anyway.

Maybe I'm just prepared to be a bit more flexible to get around quicker, there will have to be some wholesale changes to the structure of the bus network in order to benefit everyone though, which will mean we'll have have to become more flexible, and not expect a direct route every time.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Steve3229vp on September 12, 2016, 12:19:19 AM
Why extend it from the Swan to Wagon Lane? The few who want to go to go from Small Heath to that part of Sheldon can change from the 15 onto a frequent 900/957/960.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steve3229vp

With the proposed 15 City to Swan service, what about the previous proposed 15 service that was going to replace most of route 66 ?, may I suggest numbering it 43 instead as that was originally the City to Nechells service (yes I know I can hear the yawns from here) !!!

Quote from: Steve3229vp on September 17, 2016, 07:47:39 PM
With the proposed 15 City to Swan service, what about the previous proposed 15 service that was going to replace most of route 66 ?, may I suggest numbering it 43 instead as that was originally the City to Nechells service (yes I know I can hear the yawns from here) !!!
Or 69. As that fits in with the 65 and 67.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: 2206 on September 17, 2016, 08:07:34 PM
Or 69. As that fits with the 65 and 67.
the 66 hardly fits in with the 65 and 67 except the City Centre and a couple of stops on Lichfield Road !!
Surely my 43 is better (69 oh please !!!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk