News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Proposed East Birmingham and North Solihull Service Changes.

Started by 2206, June 30, 2016, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 18, 2016, 06:54:30 PM
Are the loadings on the 60 to Cranes Park really that high that its seemingly warranting a Platinum service ? BC stand to gain a load of buses from I can see if the 900 frequency increases, this 960 becomes reality and 58/9 frequency also increases.

I don't have any access to passenger figures, loadings or other stats, so I'm just working on assumption here; I'm guessing that passengers in Cranes Park are probably more likely to be travelling to and from the city centre, rather than Small Heath. Depending on the time of day and what the traffic is like on the Coventry Road, it can be quite a long journey, and passenger surveys/feedback have probably found that some passengers are transferring onto the faster 900/957 services. It's probably also unlikely that passengers in Small Heath are regularly travelling out to Cranes Park.

Plus it's not just about Cranes Park, patronage on the 900/957 services has grown since their introduction; consider as an example a passenger like myself who travels from South Yardley to Bordesley and back every day, and often finds the Platinum buses are full. I'd certainly welcome more Platinum buses that run limited stop along Coventry Road and Small Heath Highway, and I'd certainly use the new 960, even if I never go to Cranes Park.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on July 18, 2016, 07:07:14 PM
I don't have any access to passenger figures, loadings or other stats, so I'm just working on assumption here; I'm guessing that passengers in Cranes Park are probably more likely to be travelling to and from the city centre, rather than Small Heath. Depending on the time of day and what the traffic is like on the Coventry Road, it can be quite a long journey, and passenger surveys/feedback have probably found that some passengers are transferring onto the faster 900/957 services. It's probably also unlikely that passengers in Small Heath are regularly travelling out to Cranes Park.

Plus it's not just about Cranes Park, patronage on the 900/957 services has grown since their introduction; consider as an example a passenger like myself who travels from South Yardley to Bordesley and back every day, and often finds the Platinum buses are full. I'd certainly welcome more Platinum buses that run limited stop along Coventry Road and Small Heath Highway, and I'd certainly use the new 960, even if I never go to Cranes Park.

I understand, I must admit your explaining ability is impeccable !

My initial argument probably would have been if passengers at Cranes Park needed to get to the City quickly, they could just go to the 900/57 but it sounds like with this 960, thats coming to them ! 

BC might as well saddle up and make some room
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stu

Quote from: Tony on July 18, 2016, 07:01:37 PM
And confuse the even more passengers who currently catch the  60, get on and don't get home?

There's going to be winners and losers whichever way this goes. I've only regularly been catching the Coventry Road corridor services for a couple of months now, but from my own observations when travelling home in the evening, it appears that people travelling to Small Heath from Digbeth and the city centre will just pile onto the first bus that comes; I've seen rammed full 58s and 59s sail past me at Bordesley station, with a half-empty double deck on the 60 following close behind. And the one time I squeezed myself onto a full 59, it had practically emptied before it got to Hay Mills.
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on July 18, 2016, 07:06:24 PM
Technically wrong and right at the same time, didn't really see that bit mentioned but now I've read it properly it only says about airport shorts at peak times, for the most though it WILL be a reduction in frequency

Still, rest of the argument is valid, Cranes Park Passenham just change onto a more frequent express service

What's the point of changing and possibly waiting for 8 minutes for a bus 8 minutes faster?

The reduction in frequency applies to 5 stops that very few people use, meanwhile everyone between the Wheatsheaf and City gets more buses and everyone between the Airport and Coventry get more buses. At the same time 5 well used stops on Cranes park also get an express bus!

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on July 18, 2016, 07:27:54 PM
What's the point of changing and possibly waiting for 8 minutes for a bus 8 minutes faster?

Enough people do it with the X51. Stand at Scott Arms and Tower Hill of a morning peak and watch how many people get off a 51 to wait 10 mins for an X51
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

iansdavies

i totally agree with bringing the 96 back on yorkminster drive and maybe 2 97s operating to the business park per hour .

monkeyjoe

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 24, 2016, 07:34:11 AM
Any rumours or talk coming out yet?

Considering the plans were to introduce the proposed changes in September, the lack of any announcement, or indeed any postings from DVSA, would indicate that this is not going to happen any time soon.
My locals:

Solo1

Quote from: Stu on August 24, 2016, 07:08:23 PM
Considering the plans were to introduce the proposed changes in September, the lack of any announcement, or indeed any postings from DVSA, would indicate that this is not going to happen any time soon
They could behind as it's summer & staff on leave

monkeyjoe

Steveminor

The consultation is due to end in September so we won't see any changes until then

monkeyjoe

I remember the not say end of July and then assuming takes 3-4 weeks to do the analysis etc, but I'm just guessing . Will just have to wait and see, no rumours murmuring around at garages though is what I was getting at ?

Stu

Quote from: Steveminor on August 24, 2016, 07:31:26 PM
The consultation is due to end in September so we won't see any changes until then

Oh, I'm sure I saw that the consultation ended in July, and the changes were due to be implemented in September.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 24, 2016, 07:22:55 PM
They are waiting for new buses for the nxwm 94

It will most likely hinge on the availability of extra Platinum buses for BC and AG garages (proposed 960, increased 900 frequency, as well as Platinum upgrade for 966). With any luck, PB might get some E400s for the 94!  :D
My locals:

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on August 24, 2016, 08:11:25 PM
Oh, I'm sure I saw that the consultation ended in July, and the changes were due to be implemented in September.

It will most likely hinge on the availability of extra Platinum buses for BC and AG garages (proposed 960, increased 900 frequency, as well as Platinum upgrade for 966). With any luck, PB might get some E400s for the 94!  :D

Im sure it was mentioned that their is a possibility the Suttons getting upgraded to Platinum so Im thinking its allocated buses could possibly cascade onto the 94
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

BK63 YWP

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk