News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Revenue Inspectors

Started by B.C Driver, January 18, 2016, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C Driver

These are seen regually on Newtown Row, (a stones throw from their office).
I apprechiate they may be doing checks on there way to and from their office, but they are there almost on a daily basis at various times. Great if you're a driver on these routes, but on my routes they are seen once in a blue moon and fraud is rife. It is quite infuriating.
Do senior NXWM management really understand the extent of fraud and smoking? The lack of revenue inspectors is a green light to fraudsters who know they have a very low chance of inspectors boarding, (unless of course it is a 33, 51, 52, 934 etc).
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

MW

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on January 18, 2016, 01:17:24 PM
I apprechiate they may be doing checks on there way to and from their office, but they are there almost on a daily basis at various times. Great if you're a driver on these routes, but on my routes they are seen once in a blue moon and fraud is rife. It is quite infuriating.
Do senior NXWM management really understand the extent of fraud and smoking? The lack of revenue inspectors is a green light to fraudsters who know they have a very low chance of inspectors boarding, (unless of course it is a 33, 51, 52, 934 etc).

The revenue inspectors started targeting the 11 when I was there. Would always appear on random bits of the route, had them catch my bus a couple times to get to different places on the route. They turned up in Handsworth after dark, around 7pm once which was surprising.

Stuharris 6360

I know there are probably 1001 reasons why it couldn't be done, but wouldn't it be better to have small teams of Revenue Inspectors based at each garage?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 18, 2016, 01:52:39 PM
I know there are probably 1001 reasons why it couldn't be done, but wouldn't it be better to have small teams of Revenue Inspectors based at each garage?

That has been tried. I became a Revenue Inspector based at Walsall, not centrally, but the current system works better. Interviews and assessments are currently taking place for more Revenue Inpsectors to expand the team again.

The Newtown Row services are not the most checked services

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on January 18, 2016, 01:17:24 PM

I went passed Miller Street on Friday and a dozen inspectors were at the stop chatting together and flagging down buses. I do think they should serve other routes since if they regularly appear at a location, fare dodgers will get off or on where they know the Inspector's will not be. Actually the stop after where the Inspector's were, a person got on without a valid ticket and the driver turned off the engine when the person didn't return. The individual eventually did, verbally abusing the driver before punching the Assault Screen. I'd hate to see the abuse the Inspector's get when they drag people off the buses.

B.C Driver

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2016, 01:59:18 PM
That has been tried. I became a Revenue Inspector based at Walsall, not centrally, but the current system works better. Interviews and assessments are currently taking place for more Revenue Inpsectors to expand the team again.

The Newtown Row services are not the most checked services

Ok, but you can understand my annoyance seeing them there on an almost daily basis, when on my routes Ive seen them about 3 times in 5 years.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on January 18, 2016, 02:05:46 PM
Ok, but you can understand my annoyance seeing them there on an almost daily basis, when on my routes Ive seen them about 3 times in 5 years.

There was a period a couple of months ago where they ventured to some random locations such as Sutton Coldfield, Witton Rd etc. I do think that is a better way of doing it. Appear at random locations along the route. For example, instead of always doing Newtown Rd.

B.C Driver

Quote from: Michael Bevan on January 18, 2016, 02:04:13 PM
Actually the stop after where the Inspector's were, a person got on without a valid ticket and the driver turned off the engine when the person didn't return. The individual eventually did, verbally abusing the driver before punching the Assault Screen. I'd hate to see the abuse the Inspector's get when they drag people off the buses.

That is a common trick, a person will get off the bus and walk when the inspectors are there and then try to get on another bus a stop or two down. You would think most drivers would be wise to this.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

Tony

Quote from: Michael Bevan on January 18, 2016, 02:10:04 PM
There was a period a couple of months ago where they ventured to some random locations such as Sutton Coldfield, Witton Rd etc. I do think that is a better way of doing it. Appear at random locations along the route. For example, instead of always doing Newtown Rd.

How can you say there are better ways of doing thinks when you don't know how they currently work. And you didn't see 'A Dozen' inspectors at Miller Street together

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2016, 02:13:32 PM
How can you say there are better ways of doing thinks when you don't know how they currently work. And you didn't see 'A Dozen' inspectors at Miller Street together

I'd say about eight were there. I can tell you there were a lot. I'm not sure if it was two teams, and one was moving elsewhere, but I can tell you there was quite a few of them there.

karl724223

I've already seen the unofficial 2017 make your own bus passes we get regular check on the Hagley road but fraud is still bad

GeminiFan1991

Most surprisingly they've made their onto the Amazon services as well in the past !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Liberator9

I've seen them pop up in a few places - down in Billesley on the 11, which a couple of times led to people being taken off. Solihull Blossomfield also had some once, again resulting in a couple being led from the 6. Works quite well - do it on the Metro as well. Would be good if it's further expanded.

Ashley 60171

Or just tell people the fares would be alot cheaper if fare evasion wasn't so rife. I know that's not strictly true but the people who do it are thick enough to believe it.

Stu

Ironic that this morning was the first time I'd seen Revenue Inspectors in a while, out on the Stratford Road at the Ladypool Road stop. Though I do believe they appear more frequently, up by Camp Hill Island.

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on January 18, 2016, 02:13:11 PM
That is a common trick, a person will get off the bus and walk when the inspectors are there and then try to get on another bus a stop or two down. You would think most drivers would be wise to this.

The inspectors stop everyone who is getting off and check their ticket; I have on occasions previously seen people frantically trying to get off when they spot inspectors at the stop!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk