News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Revenue Inspectors

Started by B.C Driver, January 18, 2016, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on January 18, 2016, 06:10:14 PM
Or just tell people the fares would be alot cheaper if fare evasion wasn't so rife. I know that's not strictly true but the people who do it are thick enough to believe it.

Trouble is even they won't believe it is cheaper than the 'zero' they are paying

MW

The trouble with all this, and it seems more and more common now, is that the public realise that the inspectors have no authority. You can walk away. Even the police don't have any authority. If I was a fare evader, I'm confident that I could travel all NXWM buses and literally put the police in their place. Ultimately, as far as I'm aware, if NXWM want to see a pass from a passenger and the passenger walks away, what are the police going to do, other than try and bully you or scare you into giving your details. It's a civil matter, should any case be started, as there is no evidence from NXWM that you are fare evading in the first place. Only thing they can do is maybe find CCTV to see if you just walked on or not, and they're not gonna be able to pull that up at the side of the road in time.

I may be missing something here, but ultimately it appears to me that if you really wanted to, you could get away with it no problem.

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2016, 06:13:23 PM
Trouble is even they won't believe it is cheaper than the 'zero' they are paying

True. If I'd have passed my Psychology AS Level a few years ago, that original statement may have meant something lol. Sometimes it works in those debates you cant help but enter on bus fares. Sorry I dont think any of this makes sense. <proceeds to run>

Tony

Quote from: MW on January 18, 2016, 07:23:33 PM
The trouble with all this, and it seems more and more common now, is that the public realise that the inspectors have no authority. You can walk away. Even the police don't have any authority. If I was a fare evader, I'm confident that I could travel all NXWM buses and literally put the police in their place. Ultimately, as far as I'm aware, if NXWM want to see a pass from a passenger and the passenger walks away, what are the police going to do, other than try and bully you or scare you into giving your details. It's a civil matter, should any case be started, as there is no evidence from NXWM that you are fare evading in the first place. Only thing they can do is maybe find CCTV to see if you just walked on or not, and they're not gonna be able to pull that up at the side of the road in time.

I may be missing something here, but ultimately it appears to me that if you really wanted to, you could get away with it no problem.

You are, It is not a civil matter, it is a criminal matter and the police do have the right to detain you for it. You have stated your views on the law before, but fare evasion is criminal, and using an out of date, altered ticket/pass or a home made pass is an arrestable offence

GeminiFan1991

The inspectors themselves I believe have little power, it's the police who yield the power here. A case for fare evasion can be made if inadequate proof of fare can be shown.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2016, 07:28:27 PM
You are, It is not a civil matter, it is a criminal matter and the police do have the right to detain you for it. You have stated your views on the law before, but fare evasion is criminal, and using an out of date, altered ticket/pass or a home made pass is an arrestable offence

It has to be a criminal offence as otherwise nobody would buy tickets because NE (or any other bus company for that matter) wouldn't have time or money to take everyone to a civil County Court. Thankfully the prospect of getting a criminal conviction and substantial fine does prevent most people from fare evading.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

And unfortunately a lot of people share that view
The view that you can get away with not paying for goods/services. The view that people of authority have "no authority".
I find it odd that you would be a bus driver and yet agree with the sort of people that would otherwise ultimately contribute to your wage
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2016, 08:28:39 PM
And unfortunately a lot of people share that view
The view that you can get away with not paying for goods/services. The view that people of authority have "no authority".
I find it odd that you would be a bus driver and yet agree with the sort of people that would otherwise ultimately contribute to your wage

It's a sad fact nowadays that so many people have little respect for rules/regulations, their surroundings, and for other people as well as themselves.  >:(

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BU07 LGO

Ive had some on my bus that travelled from pheasey to newtown which was really affective, it was like a Trojan horse! I saw a few kids get on with dodgy tickets but didn't say anything as I knew I had revenue on board! The look on their faces was priceless when they were caught and given fines!

I agree with what MW has said too unfortunately the offenders seem to just stroll off when they've been caught unchallenged. It seems that the 51 runs on donations, which is probably one of the most abused from my experience. I know of a driver that refuses to do the 51 because it makes him so angry!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: BU07 LGO on January 18, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
Ive had some on my bus that travelled from pheasey to newtown which was really affective, it was like a Trojan horse! I saw a few kids get on with dodgy tickets but didn't say anything as I knew I had revenue on board!

I agree with what MW has said too unfortunately the offenders seem to just stroll off when they've been caught unchallenged. It seems that the 51 runs on donations, which is probably one of the most abused from my experience. I know of a driver that refuses to do the 51 because it makes him so angry!

Problem is this doesn't happen enough.

The other thing I have seen is when schools kids get on the bus, if there are a few of them, they all try putting the money in at the same time, the driver doesn't stand a chance to see if the fare is correct or is just a few coppers.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 18, 2016, 09:33:03 PM
Problem is this doesn't happen enough.

The other thing I have seen is when schools kids get on the bus, if there are a few of them, they all try putting the money in at the same time, the driver doesn't stand a chance to see if the fare is correct or is just a few coppers.

I know, your limited to what you can do if they're children too

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: BU07 LGO on January 18, 2016, 09:34:10 PM
I know, your limited to what you can do if they're children too

Very true, that is what of the downfalls of the cash vault system, if they had to put the money on the cash tray then it wouldn't be so easy.

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 18, 2016, 09:37:28 PM
Very true, that is what of the downfalls of the cash vault system, if they had to put the money on the cash tray then it wouldn't be so easy.

wouldn't it?

Makes no difference whatsoever, what is a driver supposed to do if a child just puts 20p on the cash tray and walks past?

Grab him? Swear at him? Refuse him travel?
All ways to get a P45

Ask him for the rest of his fare - yes, that's the correct answer to which the reply is, sorry mister, that's all I've got. Then what?

Exactly the same as if he puts 20p in a vault and walks past

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2016, 09:48:23 PM
wouldn't it?

Makes no difference whatsoever, what is a driver supposed to do if a child just puts 20p on the cash tray and walks past?

Grab him? Swear at him? Refuse him travel?
All ways to get a P45

Ask him for the rest of his fare - yes, that's the correct answer to which the reply is, sorry mister, that's all I've got. Then what?

Exactly the same as if he puts 20p in a vault and walks past

Well I have to say, if that's the case, why do NE charge under 16s a fare?

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 18, 2016, 10:00:34 PM
Well I have to say, if that's the case, why do NE charge under 16s a fare?

Because the vast majority pay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk