News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What is the retirement age for a bus driver?

Started by Trident 4194, January 25, 2015, 06:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 26, 2015, 08:04:18 PM
Quote from: Matt on January 26, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 26, 2015, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 26, 2015, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 26, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
I was thinking of driving when I reach 60. Is this possible then? I'm guessing so as long as I don't have any health problems

Aren't you like, what, 14 at the moment?!

Yes, ha ha, got my life planned out, did matt tell you my age?

No I didn't

No he didn't. I just picked a number. It had nothing to do with @Tony 's favourite route...

I think you have a good shout at winning the lottery.

Trident 4194

I mean when I'm 60, do you think NX will still exist? Would there be more hybrid buses?

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 27, 2015, 06:23:44 PM
I mean when I'm 60, do you think NX will still exist? Would there be more hybrid buses?

You're having a laugh aren't you
How do you expect anyone to predict what will happen in 46 years time

46 years ago it was still Birmingham City Transport etc

And as one prediction I will make in 46 years time there will be less hybrid buses and I would put a large bet on that if I thought it would be worth me collecting the winnings when I was 98 years old

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 27, 2015, 06:23:44 PM

Who knows what public transport will be like in 46 yrs time, it may not even be needed!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

It's a pity my crystal ball is on the blink otherwise I'd give you an accurate forecast!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Aww. In 46 years I'll be long gone :(

No cheering, @Stuharris 6360 ! Haha
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Ex BC driver

I was talking to Mr DeCourcey last year, he told me he will be 70 this year, and still does any jobs that need doing, even sometimes driving for Coventry or NEC depots

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 27, 2015, 07:28:27 PM

A depressing thought but so too might I. If not I'll most likely be sat dribbling, muttering incoherently, in a pool of my own p*ss. A bit like an average Saturday night now.

Alex

@Liverpool Street In 46 years, i'll be 60/61 (my birthdays on Thursday, so depends what day in 2060), and probably still going on about how withdrawing the 340 was a mistake ::).
Still, at least i won't be moaning about the 59 (or whatever the number'll be at that time) @Nathan  ;) (Only kidding mate)

I guess somethings don't/won't ever change :)
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Stuharris 6360

@Liverpool Street I would never cheer at that, i don't reckon i will be here in 46 years either, me at 95, don't think so.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: ARJ2901 on January 27, 2015, 09:59:13 PM

@Liverpool Street In 46 years, i'll be 60/61 (my birthdays on Thursday, so depends what day in 2060), and probably still going on about how withdrawing the 340 was a mistake ::).
Still, at least i won't be moaning about the 59 (or whatever the number'll be at that time) @Nathan  ;) (Only kidding mate)

I really don't think public transport as we know it would exist in 2060, i think much faster means of travelling will have been developed, who knows you might have something like Star Trek and be transported to wherever you wish to go. It might seem a bit far fetched, but they are developing the technology. Would make life really boring in my opinion.

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 27, 2015, 10:15:38 PM

I really don't think public transport as we know it would exist in 2060, i think much faster means of travelling will have been developed, who knows you might have something like Star Trek and be transported to wherever you wish to go. It might seem a bit far fetched, but they are developing the technology. Would make life really boring in my opinion.

Which is why I was so confident there will be less Hybrids. I very much doubt if there were any buses using diesel other than preserved ones

the trainbasher

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2015, 10:25:28 PM

Which is why I was so confident there will be less Hybrids. I very much doubt if there were any buses using diesel other than preserved ones

If diesel still exists...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 27, 2015, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2015, 10:25:28 PM

If diesel still exists...

Nuclear powered buses?  :o :o :o

Liverpool Street

Fossil fuels, like me, are on the way out. Its unsustainable and filthy. But the combustion engine as we know it is still bloody brilliant.

However, what I can see in the future is this;

Light Rail Transit on all major corridors out of all cities/towns in the developed world and electric buses with solar rechargeable batteries which last a hell of a long time, shuttling people from the end of the corridor to further points of which the road train wouldn't reach.

For example, obviously I'll use the Pershore Road for my example;

Inter-City Shuttle Hoppers
VV takes passengers to the LRT terminal
LRT flies along uncongested rail tracks in the center of Pershore Road (or whatever, after development)
VV terminates at Cotteridge, where a constant flow of electric buses continues the journey around to Cofton Hackett or one big loop where they do a 45 cotteridge - cofton 47 - cotteridge etc

Something like that I can see happening. Buses as we know them today have changed so much from the early days, and with that much development further changes are only blinded by your own lack of vision.

The idea portrayed above is something similar to what is happening to the Hagley Road stretch isn't it?

Inter-City bus travel I reckon in the time scale of 46 years could very well be consigned to the history books.

We all think about electric power, but there's other sources and avenues yet explored. Hydrogen, for example. There's all sorts of other chemical compounds which, when manipulated for stability, can be used and which there is plentiful natural supply.

Don't get me wrong I don't vote Green Party or anything but sustainable fuel sources are required.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk