News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

What is the retirement age for a bus driver?

Started by Trident 4194, January 25, 2015, 06:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Also what is the oldest you can start to learn to drive?

Tony

Quote from: Matt on January 25, 2015, 06:54:21 PM
Whenever the driver chooses to retire, whether it be for personal reasons or for health reasons preventing them from being able to do their job safely...

There's no upper age limit beyond which you can't obtain a PCV license or keep it, however I expect medicals will become more frequent when you get beyond a certain age and obviously failing a medical would lead to the license being revoked. We have a few old boys at GB the oldest being 67 and I've heard of drivers at other companies being in their 80s

It is illegal now for a company to make any retire on the grounds of age. Up to the age of 65 you have to have a medical every 5 years, from 65 onwards it is every year to keep your license. Walsall had a driver well into his 70s up until quite recently

the trainbasher

I know Derek Ludlow (of Ludlows buses) still drives buses and he's in his 70s/80s.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

bususer12

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 25, 2015, 07:12:07 PM
I know Derek Ludlow (of Ludlows buses) still drives buses and he's in his 70s/80s.

Does he drive for Hansons @the trainbasher ?

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Does the owner of Prospect Coaches still drive , he must be getting on a bit?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

windy miller

Are there any old Johnsons (Henley in Arden)) drivers out there? or maybe your father drove for them c1960?.. they operated my school run for years. They only had a small number of vehicles (Bedford Duples? I think) in those days and were based at the bottom of livery hill on the A34 about half a mile short of Henley.  Happy days!  :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Trident 4194

mranon

theres a few old fellows who drive not just buses, but coaches and minibuses. without them especially coaches would really struggle. they have to have annual medicals after 65, howeve i bet a lot have packed it on over cpc etc

Jay

Quote from: bususer12 on January 25, 2015, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on January 25, 2015, 07:12:07 PM

Does he drive for Hansons @the trainbasher ?

I know there's one other works part time with Hansons, his name is Alan
My The Force Be With You PN Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train_nut/

Trident 4194

I was thinking of driving when I reach 60. Is this possible then? I'm guessing so as long as I don't have any health problems

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 26, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
I was thinking of driving when I reach 60. Is this possible then? I'm guessing so as long as I don't have any health problems

Aren't you like, what, 14 at the moment?!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Trident 4194

Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 26, 2015, 07:21:46 PM

Yes, ha ha, got my life planned out, did matt tell you my age?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 26, 2015, 07:25:29 PM

Yes, ha ha, got my life planned out

Good luck sticking to that plan. I can guarantee it'll go haywire in about 12 months ;-) All of a sudden you'll start noticing those strange creatures called "girls". Never managed to work them out and I'm pushing the bad side of 60!

And for the record I left on my own accord from NXWM and the health troubles started after retirement.

Talking to drivers and such the duties have took a turn for the worse so I don't really miss it. I do miss the buses though (not E200's) and I wish I drove more Hybrids but never mind.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Matt on January 26, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 26, 2015, 07:25:29 PM

Yes, ha ha, got my life planned out, did matt tell you my age?

No I didn't

No he didn't. I just picked a number. It had nothing to do with @Tony 's favourite route...
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk