News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

tjwpsv

Quote from: Pat on November 09, 2020, 07:17:33 AM
TGB now track on bustimes.org
Thanks, Pat. I'm far from convinced about the accuracy of the data here, though.

Pat

Quote from: tjwpsv on November 16, 2020, 12:42:23 PM
Thanks, Pat. I'm far from convinced about the accuracy of the data here, though.
Yes, it's not always 100% accurate, in terms of vehicle ID, as ticket machines can be swapped between vehicles without being reprogrammed etc.

tjwpsv

Quote from: Pat on November 16, 2020, 12:50:42 PM
Yes, it's not always 100% accurate, in terms of vehicle ID, as ticket machines can be swapped between vehicles without being reprogrammed etc.
I understand that, Pat, but that wouldn't seem to explain it. Currently, there are 6 vehicles as showing on the 845; earlier today, a similar number were listed as being on the 242.

tjwpsv

Within the last 5 minutes, 18 vehicles were 'tracking' on the 242...most off them well off-route!

V102MOA

Quote from: Pat on November 16, 2020, 12:50:42 PM

I believe the data comes from the company's internal tracking system rather than any ticket machines

Pat

Quote from: V102MOA on November 18, 2020, 11:13:33 AM
I believe the data comes from the company's internal tracking system rather than any ticket machines
Bustimes.org uses the data from the ticket machine GPS.  AFAIK, it only gets data from Ticketer and ERG machines.

V102MOA

Quote from: Pat on November 18, 2020, 04:36:08 PM
Bustimes.org uses the data from the ticket machine GPS.  AFAIK, it only gets data from Ticketer and ERG machines.

TGB have not been using ticket machines since pre-pandemic. Some vehicles may still be carrying them round but they are old Wayfarers which do not have that functionality.

There is also data appearing on bustimes.org that could only have come from the internal tracking/scheduling system (GreenEye). IIRC shortly before I left I was asked to help set it up but didn't get time to take a proper look

Tony

Quote from: Pat on November 18, 2020, 04:36:08 PM

It gets it from a variety of sources, hence why some NXWM routes and vehicles appear which do not have Ticketer or ERG machines

Stu

Quote from: V102MOA on November 18, 2020, 11:13:33 AM

Quote from: Tony on November 18, 2020, 08:23:17 PM
It gets it from a variety of sources, hence why some NXWM routes and vehicles appear which do not have Ticketer or ERG machines

BusTimes uses a variety of third-party open data source feeds for its information.

With regards to vehicle location tracking in the West Midlands, this is provided by the Transport For West Midlands API.

If operators make this data available to TfWM, then it can be presented via their API.

https://bustimes.org/data

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

DJ

Quote from: Stu on November 18, 2020, 08:40:24 PM
BusTimes uses a variety of third-party open data source feeds for its information.

With regards to vehicle location tracking in the West Midlands, this is provided by the Transport For West Midlands API.

If operators make this data available to TfWM, then it can be presented via their API.

https://bustimes.org/data

If it's using the TfWM API, does that explain why NX services that do track, stop tracking once they leave the West Midlands area, such as the X51?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Solo1

Quote from: Tony on November 18, 2020, 08:23:17 PM
so why don't nxwm buses all have ticketer or erg machines then & only some thanks

John

Quote from: Solo1 on November 19, 2020, 08:25:02 AM
so why don't nxwm buses all have ticketer or erg machines then & only some thanks

Because none of them do

Pat

Quote from: DJ on November 19, 2020, 08:03:10 AM
If it's using the TfWM API, does that explain why NX services that do track, stop tracking once they leave the West Midlands area, such as the X51?
No, because the WN10/A/B still track when in Staffordshire, as does the 5.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on November 19, 2020, 08:03:10 AM

They don't stop tracking when they leave the area

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk