News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 28, 2020, 06:49:33 PM
117 on the 242 today but not displaying a destination, instead displaying details about hiting the vehicle?

Yeah, it replaced 395.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

V102MOA

New service 582 - Saturday Shopper bus that will run every Saturday in August.

Travel will be free for the first Saturday (tomorrow, August 1)

Quote from: V102MOA on July 31, 2020, 06:05:53 PM

Why are TGB running these services and only in August?
Will they run full time if there is demand for them?  Otherwise why start a brand new service if your already going to scrap it in a few weeks?

And also is 4095 likely to be repaired, or will that now be withdrawn?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on July 31, 2020, 06:11:00 PM
Why are TGB running these services and only in August?
Will they run full time if there is demand for them?  Otherwise why start a brand new service if your already going to scrap it in a few weeks?

I think it was stated in another topic here about the 242 / 228 that TGB were looking to operate some services commercially during the school hoilidays. Otherwise as there would be no school services, TGB would have a lot of buses and drivers sat around doing nothing for the next six weeks.  ::)

Plus I imagine a lot of their private hire work has dried up.

I'd also hazard a guess that they may be in receipt of bus operator grant money from the Government as well, so there may be little risk for them to operate a commercial service just for a few weeks. (That's just a guess by the way, I'm not stating that as a fact)

In a way I salute them for showing a bit of initiative and trying something different for a change, and you never know, if this new service enjoys some success, it could lead somewhere.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

clentboy7922

Quote from: Stu on July 31, 2020, 07:42:12 PM
I think it was stated in another topic here about the 242 / 228 that TGB were looking to operate some services commercially during the school hoilidays. Otherwise as there would be no school services, TGB would have a lot of buses and drivers sat around doing nothing for the next six weeks.  ::)

Plus I imagine a lot of their private hire work has dried up.

I'd also hazard a guess that they may be in receipt of bus operator grant money from the Government as well, so there may be little risk for them to operate a commercial service just for a few weeks. (That's just a guess by the way, I'm not stating that as a fact)

In a way I salute them for showing a bit of initiative and trying something different for a change, and you never know, if this new service enjoys some success, it could lead somewhere.
@Stu Green Bus tried this in Halesowen with journeys on the 192 & its 22 and failed so interesting times ahead

Trident 4194

Well 117 the other day hadn't got a ticket machine working, so no revenue was made on that day

Pat

Quote from: V102MOA on July 31, 2020, 06:05:53 PM

How does TGB expect to do well on this, and the 228/242, with barely any publicity?  I can't find anything on their website or twitter page, with links to a proper timetable.  How many potential customers are there who probably don't have a clue about the service?  Without publicity, you have no passengers.  Without passengers, you don't make money.
I'm curious to know why TGB have all of a sudden jumped back onto commercial services again?  And why this route?  Why the centring around Kinver?

Dom

Quote from: Pat on August 01, 2020, 12:00:33 AM
How does TGB expect to do well on this, and the 228/242, with barely any publicity?  I can't find anything on their website or twitter page, with links to a proper timetable.  How many potential customers are there who probably don't have a clue about the service?  Without publicity, you have no passengers.  Without passengers, you don't make money.
I'm curious to know why TGB have all of a sudden jumped back onto commercial services again?  And why this route?  Why the centring around Kinver?

I'm keen to know how said services are running, since there has been no registration or anything for them, to my knowledge atleast.

Quote from: Dom on August 01, 2020, 10:30:58 AM

I'm keen to know how said services are running, since there has been no registration or anything for them, to my knowledge atleast.
@Dom there is a registration for the 242:
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/558798/

Can't see one on there at present for this 582 though.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

I don't think the 582 route has been particularly well thought out either.  They've just picked two places and drawn up an unusual route between them.

ellspurs

Quote from: Pat on August 01, 2020, 10:42:38 AM
I don't think the 582 route has been particularly well thought out either.  They've just picked two places and drawn up an unusual route between them.

The 582 looks like it is following the old Midland Red 582 http://midlandred.net/service/timetable/display.php?routeID=643

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Pat on August 01, 2020, 10:42:38 AM
The 582 is serving the villages of Bobbington & Enville that were deprived of a regular bus service back in 2013 when the 584/5/6/7/8 were withdrawn! The residents of said villages are more than likely using services such as south Staffordshire connect (Which is a door to door service which needs to be booked by the passenger)to get their groceries etc. Thus I doubt this 582 would of been heavily used even if it was publicised as the locals will be use to their regular door to door service that they have been relying on for the best part of 7 years! On a side note I'm glad an old midland red service has been partially resurrected :-)

Pat

Quote from: BusMan Greg on August 01, 2020, 10:54:47 AM
The 582 is serving the villages of Bobbington & Enville that were deprived of a regular bus service back in 2013 when the 584/5/6/7/8 were withdrawn! The residents of said villages are more than likely using services such as south Staffordshire connect (Which is a door to door service which needs to be booked by the passenger)to get their groceries etc. Thus I doubt this 582 would of been heavily used even if it was publicised as the locals will be use to their regular door to door service that they have been relying on for the best part of 7 years! On a side note I'm glad an old midland red service has been partially resurrected :-)
I'm not sure how well used SSC is around there, but i'd expect it to be rather low as most people in those areas use their cars (other than those who don't drive, which i'd imagine the number would be pretty low).

The 582 timetable is rather ill thought out in my opinion.  You can only go to Kidderminster & back from the looks of things.  If you wanted to go to Wolves, or anywhere in that direction, you couldn't get a return journey.  If I lived in Bobbington and wanted to go to Sainsbury's etc in Wolves and back for my shopping, I couldn't!  I wouldn't want to go all the way to Kiddy just for my shopping.  If TGB want to try and make a success of this, I really think they should have drawn up a better timetable.  Even a return journey in each direction per day would be good!

Quote from: Pat on August 01, 2020, 12:27:59 PM
I'm not sure how well used SSC is around there, but i'd expect it to be rather low as most people in those areas use their cars (other than those who don't drive, which i'd imagine the number would be pretty low).

The 582 timetable is rather ill thought out in my opinion.  You can only go to Kidderminster & back from the looks of things.  If you wanted to go to Wolves, or anywhere in that direction, you couldn't get a return journey.  If I lived in Bobbington and wanted to go to Sainsbury's etc in Wolves and back for my shopping, I couldn't!  I wouldn't want to go all the way to Kiddy just for my shopping.  If TGB want to try and make a success of this, I really think they should have drawn up a better timetable.  Even a return journey in each direction per day would be good!
Route in Kidderminster also looks a bit strange from what I can see. Seems to go along the outskirts of the town centre, rather than running through the Bus Station and Exchange Street like Diamond and Arriva do.
Would it not make sense to serve the bus station as well as a "shoppers bus service". As there's a Tesco next to that for shoppers and other shops as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk