News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers listening to music in cab?

Started by Trident 4194, December 31, 2014, 04:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bususer12

There is one diamond driver who often has his music on. It's usually radio 1xtra type music, however I've seen him on the 282 regularly so thats probably a good route for him. Didn't really mind as I had my earphones.

the trainbasher

The Sipson Road driver I've got has a random BBC radio station on

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

But surely if you have the radio on and are listening to music/football results etc:, surely you are not concentrating 100% on your job which can only be a bad thing!?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Matt on January 01, 2015, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 01, 2015, 01:54:37 PM
But surely if you have the radio on and are listening to music/football results etc:, surely you are not concentrating 100% on your job which can only be a bad thing!?

If it was that much of a distraction there would be a law against it, as there is against using phones and hand-held devices

It's still frowned upon by most operators. I think it's more to do with lack of customer service when you have music on... but then it beggars belief why passengers find it acceptable to listen to their music blaring out of their tinny monotone Walkmans ~ if anything more distracting to the driver then his own music.

I'm not bothered either way. The driver can pretty much do as he pleases, as long he doesn't damage me on the bus lol
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

PM

Quote from: Matt on January 01, 2015, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 01, 2015, 01:54:37 PM

If it was that much of a distraction there would be a law against it, as there is against using phones and hand-held devices

Precisely, and radios etc wouldn't be fitted in cars...

I really have no problem with it, especially if on supported evening services with very light passenger loadings/no passengers at all.

trident4370

I had a green bus driver listening to Smooth radio over the summer holidays on the 50, luckily for me though it was quiet!

Quote from: Bryan on December 31, 2014, 10:19:05 PM
In my opinion music shouldn't be allowed on buses, either from the drivers cab or passengers devises. To people like myself it is an annoyance and puts me off public transport. I would add that even applies if I like the music.

Also, a driver should be concentrating on driving.
If the music don't put you off public transport I'm pretty sure there's plenty of other things that will  :D :D :D
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Tara4352

I had someone who was talking on the phone on  a WMNST 24 months back so I got off in Cradley Heath and got the 141 as it was really loud and had forgotten to bring my earphones to listen to my music on my phone

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tara4352 on January 02, 2015, 10:41:59 AM
I had someone who was talking on the phone on  a WMNST 24 months back so I got off in Cradley Heath and got the 141 as it was really loud and had forgotten to bring my earphones to listen to my music on my phone

Was this the driver?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Then the driver should have been reported to the company responsible, ie: Igo. Although, as has been pointed out to me, there is no law to stop drivers listening to the radio, there is one about using a mobile whilst driving.

I thought you meant that one of the passengers who was talking on there phone, not a lot you can do about it. It's like when people drop litter on buses, you can hardly pick it up and throw it at them can you?  :D :D

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 02, 2015, 12:05:53 PM
Then the driver should have been reported to the company responsible, ie: Igo. Although, as has been pointed out to me, there is no law to stop drivers listening to the radio, there is one about using a mobile whilst driving.

I thought you meant that one of the passengers who was talking on there phone, not a lot you can do about it. It's like when people drop litter on buses, you can hardly pick it up and throw it at them can you?  :D :D

If the music is loud enough for passengers to hear then you could argue they need a licence to play the music  ;) :o

Bryan

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on January 02, 2015, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 02, 2015, 12:05:53 PM

If the music is loud enough for passengers to hear then you could argue they need a licence to play the music  ;) :o

A very good point. I'd forgotten about The Performing Rights Society and the licensing regulations.

MrBevan2000

There's a driver for Central who sometimes listens to music on his iPad. I don't think it should be illegal. When I went to Benidorm the buses there had built in speakers which played music. It was lovely.

Metrorider

Quote from: Matt on December 31, 2014, 08:11:52 PM

Surprise surprise

Why surprise surprise because it was a Diamond driver Matt? I know plenty of drivers from smaller companies that have music on whilst driving. Can't see the problem with it really, if the passengers aren't complaining and the driver enjoys it (which would probably keep him or her in a nice pleasant mood) then I'm all for it. I read somewhere that Preston bus have a trial going on at the moment with music in the buses!

Edit: Found the link about Preston
Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk