News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The Community Speaks: Should Buses run on Christmas Day?

Started by the trainbasher, December 01, 2014, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: makkacdt on December 02, 2014, 09:35:59 PM
yes to take me to work. if I have to work it everyone can. bloody humbug!!!!!!!

If you're a policeman then its part of your contract anyway
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

richie

I think if the demand is there then why not. The Boxing Day service has grew year upon year to a near Sunday service it is still operated by volunteer drivers at a very good enhanced rate. If there is a demand for a reduced Sunday service on Christmas day then so be it but operated by volunteers then the staff who celebrate down to their religion can have it of and so can the ones who have the day with their families. For me it's just another day and if I had to choose between a turkey or 10 hours work at at least 3 x my normal rate then I'll take the money and run! On the subject of retail it should be closed Xmas and Boxing Day there are enough other shopping days around the year.

wbdriver

No, No, No. never. not even if i was paid a million pounds an hour. only guaranteed day off a year. if London doesn't have a service with all it's tourists, why should Birmingham? even Tesco and Asda give their staff the day off.
an empty bus is a happy driver.

Tara4352

Quote from: wbdriver on December 03, 2014, 09:11:15 PM
No, No, No. never. not even if i was paid a million pounds an hour. only guaranteed day off a year. if London doesn't have a service with all it's tourists, why should Birmingham? even Tesco and Asda give their staff the day off.
I agree with wb driver on this one

Steveminor

Mel kang at AMPM suggested it following the success of the boxing day service;  he was shot down in flames when everyone said there was no way they would work.  The engineers actually said. Well if a bus breaks down it'll stay there over night cause we won't go fix it..
I don't actually think it would be used enough to be viable anyway.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Steveminor on December 03, 2014, 11:43:08 PM
Mel kang at AMPM suggested it following the success of the boxing day service;  he was shot down in flames when everyone said there was no way they would work.  The engineers actually said. Well if a bus breaks down it'll stay there over night cause we won't go fix it..

My earlier joking aside, I think it's only a matter of time now before it happens. In 5-10 years or so, There'll be Christmas day services similar to current boxing day levels.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on December 04, 2014, 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: Steveminor on December 03, 2014, 11:43:08 PM

My earlier joking aside, I think it's only a matter of time now before it happens. In 5-10 years or so, There'll be Christmas day services similar to current boxing day levels.

Well, I only hope the drivers refuse to work it. I know I would.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Kevin

Some drivers might say yes, much in the same way some passengers might want to use such services.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ex BC driver

I'd never work Christmas Day, no matter how much money was put on the table

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Ex BC driver on December 04, 2014, 09:24:03 PM
I'd never work Christmas Day, no matter how much money was put on the table

These principles. Only I'd extend that to boxing day too. Those two days are my guaranteed days with family/off work. Regardless.
until it cought fire

CL

I agree. Services shouldn't operate on Christmas. Everybody should have a day to spend with their families, and watch Shrek/Home Alone on TV. lol

But in all seriousness, I do object to some parts of this argument. Like, what if people couldn't make it in time for the big day? Solution/Counterargument: Get home earlier. - If i'm right, the air industry still work on Christmas? (Air Industry being Airports & Pilots, etc...)

I won't really be in the mood for Christmas this year if it doesn't snow... Just throwing it out there.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Ashley

When I come to power, boxing day would see a total shutdown as well, do your shopping on the internet, take a walk, ride a bike, hitch a lift but for Christ sake, a couple of days of rest surely never hurt anybody. Oh and add new years day to that list

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Ashley on December 05, 2014, 07:12:51 PM
When I come to power, boxing day would see a total shutdown as well, do your shopping on the internet, take a walk, ride a bike, hitch a lift but for Christ sake, a couple of days of rest surely never hurt anybody. Oh and add new years day to that list

I'm voting for you.

Annoyingly the wheels of commerce never stop turning! 24hrs break means millions of pounds lost. Can't afford to spend anything these poor poor shareholders awwwwww everyone needs to donate money to the poor poor FTSE 100 aww shame
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 06, 2014, 01:07:58 AM
Quote from: Ashley on December 05, 2014, 07:12:51 PM

I'm voting for you.

Annoyingly the wheels of commerce never stop turning! 24hrs break means millions of pounds lost. Can't afford to spend anything these poor poor shareholders awwwwww everyone needs to donate money to the poor poor FTSE 100 aww shame

Not all company shareholders are fat cats. Some are ordanary workers of their companies...like for example NX Group have members of staff as shareholders do they not.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bryan

My thoughts on this subject are yes but as follows:

a) Most importantly, any drivers on a Christmas Day service should volunteer to drive on the day. By that I don't mean not getting paid, but under no pressure whatsoever to drive. I'm sure some would for many reasons, i.e. religion, lack of family to visit etc, etc. 

b) Just a few services would be required, providing co-ordinated links across the area, enabling those without cars to visit relatives, friends and those in hospital etc. A Sunday type service would however be a gross over-provision.

This would take a bit of planning ahead, but it could benefit many people including those who feel isolated from others on Christmas Day.

I've no doubt I will be heavily criticized for these thoughts, but they are just mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk