News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The Community Speaks: Should Buses run on Christmas Day?

Started by the trainbasher, December 01, 2014, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

It is certain that nx coaches will be running services this year on Christmas Day and I wonder how long before NXWM is doing the same?

I can see the Unions putting up a huge fight against it, and it is a topic I personally am very passionate about, but in such a multi-cultural city the demand is surely there?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Certainly not! Multi-cultural or not buses should not be operating on Christmas day as well as shops shouldn't be open! It's bad enough pubs and such open at that time, something I'm against, but these companies do anything for cash! Christmas day should be EVERYONES rest day, no exceptions. So I'm very anti on this subject. Left wingers, challenge me at your peril!

~ And why has this subject cropped up again?! I strongly remember arguing about this some time ago.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

Yeah LS last year. But surely as society has got more of a 24/7 culture what use is a second city that doesn't provide a Christmas day bus service yet places like Liverpool do?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 01, 2014, 05:03:23 PM
Yeah LS last year. But surely as society has got more of a 24/7 culture what use is a second city that doesn't provide a Christmas day bus service yet places like Liverpool do?

I'm sure they can stay at home for one bloody day.

And shame on the Liverpudlian Unions for allowing a service on Christmas day.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

karl724223

danny

NO!!! Haha I believe everyone is entitled to one day off a year which is suppose to be spent with family, if I had my way boxing day would be the same for anyone who offers a customer service, whether you work on the buses or like myself in retail, who needs to go shopping boxing day, stay home for these two days with the family so we can!!! Not aimed at anyone just ranting lol.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: danny on December 01, 2014, 05:08:26 PM
NO!!! Haha I believe everyone is entitled to one day off a year which is suppose to be spent with family, if I had my way boxing day would be the same for anyone who offers a customer service, whether you work on the buses or like myself in retail, who needs to go shopping boxing day, stay home for these two days with the family so we can!!! Not aimed at anyone just ranting lol.

HERE HERE!!!!!
until it cought fire

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 01, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
Christmas day should be EVERYONES rest day, no exceptions. So I'm very anti on this subject. Left wingers, challenge me at your peril!

Fingers crossed that you don't require medical attention on that day then - as the doctors, nurses, ambulancepersons, paramedics, cleaning/catering/maintenance staff etc will all be at home having a rest day.

Although hopefully you'll be fighting fit at home. In which case, fingers crossed that that your house doesn't flood, electrics don't go on the blink, your gas pipes don't crack....

Regards, Dave the leftie ;-)

Liverpool Street

I have tried a different approach to this topic, as I'm sure it'll get heated and we'll try it as a "Community Feedback" thread. Stickied thread until either an unresolvable argument occurs, or until Christmas is over once again.

~~~~~

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on December 01, 2014, 05:15:49 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 01, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
Christmas day should be EVERYONES rest day, no exceptions. So I'm very anti on this subject. Left wingers, challenge me at your peril!

Fingers crossed that you don't require medical attention on that day then - as the doctors, nurses, ambulancepersons, paramedics, cleaning/catering/maintenance staff etc will all be at home having a rest day.

Although hopefully you'll be fighting fit at home. In which case, fingers crossed that that your house doesn't flood, electrics don't go on the blink, your gas pipes don't crack....

Regards, Dave the leftie ;-)

That's a different case, I'm saying "everyone" in the case of none-emergency service. Obviously when signing up to Emergency jobs you know Christmas day is a working day. For bus drivers? Hardly the same league is it Dave. How about you sign up and work 14 hours on Christmas? You seem eager enough to ;-) (This is all in good fun and nothing malicious mate)
until it cought fire

karl724223

This web site should have a Xmas day and Boxing Day shut down as well

Liverpool Street

Quote from: karl724223 on December 01, 2014, 05:21:28 PM
This web site should have a Xmas day and Boxing Day shut down as well

I can arrange that. But I hardly see why an internet server requires a rest day but heh
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

I'd happily go to work on Christmas Day and Boxing Day!

Christmas Day should, like other bank holidays, have a minimum of a Sunday bus service.

What should those who can't or don't drive do? No buses means those people are housebound (I mean look at the extortionate fares taxi companies charge on Christmas day!)

If other places do it, why shouldn't the west midlands do it? The demand is there so why not untap it?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 01, 2014, 05:25:43 PM

Christmas Day should, like other bank holidays, have a minimum of a Sunday bus service.

What should those who can't or don't drive do? No buses means those people are housebound (I mean look at the extortionate fares taxi companies charge on Christmas day!)

If other places do it, why shouldn't the west midlands do it? The demand is there so why not untap it?

Why would you want to sort out parking fines on Christmas Day you heartless b***** hahaha!!
until it cought fire

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Liverpool Street
Christmas day should be EVERYONES rest day, no exceptions.

That's a different case, I'm saying "everyone" in the case of none-emergency service. Obviously when signing up to Emergency jobs you know Christmas day is a working day. For bus drivers? Hardly the same league is it Dave. How about you sign up and work 14 hours on Christmas? You seem eager enough to ;-) (This is all in good fun and nothing malicious mate)

Forgive me LS, but you DID say "everyone - no exceptions" ;-)

I've worked xmas day in the past - as a non-essential role, but my presence was required. It wasn't a 14 hour shift but I do have a 16 hour xmas eve on the railway to my credit - is that close enough? ;-)

Sh4318

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 01, 2014, 05:25:43 PM

I wouldn't. I don't think there should be any level of service on Christmas Day
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk