News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2023, 05:22:00 PMArriva prices are for a reason, they're what's needed to even stand a chance of breaking even
I can understand that, it's just if there was an national express version, a day ticket would provide a lot more bang for buck in the Sutton area

Tony

Quote from: Owen on September 13, 2023, 05:39:50 PMI can understand that, it's just if there was an national express version, a day ticket would provide a lot more bang for buck in the Sutton area
You don't understand that or you wouldn't be asking for cheaper tickets again

Owen

Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2023, 05:44:37 PMYou don't understand that or you wouldn't be asking for cheaper tickets again
Well in this scenario it wouldn't be arriva would it! It would be the same passengers using the X5 and 110 combined in one route so people wouldn't need to pay for two bus tickets!

Tony

Quote from: Owen on September 13, 2023, 05:50:03 PMWell in this scenario it wouldn't be arriva would it! It would be the same passengers using the X5 and 110 combined in one route so people wouldn't need to pay for two bus tickets!
Whoever is operating the bus still needs to cover the costs. Sutton to Tamworth wouldn't cover its costs on NX prices, and if it was only one service as you suggest what about all the passengers that currently only have the 110 and the suggested route didn't serve? They would be lost making it even less viable

Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2023, 06:12:23 PMwhat about all the passengers that currently only have the 110 and the suggested route didn't serve?
Improved more frequent 78A service could cover Sutton - Whitehouse Common maybe, make it something  more of use to passengers instead of 4x daily off peak.
Also going via Whitehouse Common Road and Barnard Road instead of the current route.

Also @Dutsey the bridge at Canwell? I think the SFA1 goes under that bridge using Walsall double deckers?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Lukeee

Quote from: Owen on September 13, 2023, 05:50:03 PMWell in this scenario it wouldn't be arriva would it! It would be the same passengers using the X5 and 110 combined in one route so people wouldn't need to pay for two bus tickets!
What about people using the 110 at the tamworth end wanting to connect to any other Arriva service, they would have to pay twice whereas currently they don't 

jamesX4

Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2023, 05:22:00 PMArriva prices are for a reason, they're what's needed to even stand a chance of breaking even
Serious question. Why does Arriva need to charge so much to break even beyond the West Midlands. They have doubled their frequency in recent years to now have 33% of the services between Sutton and Birmingham. Their buses, when running reliably, are relatively busy and much busier than the X3 which charges only £4.50 day ticket to Lichfield.

Tony

If you base that it costs £50 per hour to run a bus, and you average about £1 take per passenger then you need 50 passengers to break even. In urban areas not only are there more available passengers journeys tend to be shorter so you can sell a seat more than once in an hour. With less passengers available and those that are occupying a seat for longer you have to have a higher average take from the fare

Owen

I wonder if the 80 service could offer  a better connection into and around the city as so on...

Towards Birmingham;
•Ladywood middle way,
•St. Vincent St W,
•Lesson St,
•Great Tindal St,
•St. Vincent St,
•follow the 126 till Lyon queensway,
•Navigation St,
•Hill St,
•then normal line of route towards termini,
•then follow the other 8* services till Colmore Row

I'm this scenario we would loose;
- 3 stops on Ladywood/Islington row... middleway, otherwise covered by 8A
- 4 stops on bath row, otherwise covered by X21/22

And in essence we would gain;
- some new stops in Ladywood and hill St currently not serviced,
- An all around better connection around the city centre,
- links to more bus services

Jack

The 80 briefly did a loop in 2017/2018 (as did the old 98/X64) and I thought it was a very good link.

Owen

Quote from: Jack on September 27, 2023, 11:26:14 PMThe 80 briefly did a loop in 2017/2018 (as did the old 98/X64) and I thought it was a very good link.
I wasn't aware of either of those at the time. This previous loop of the 80 I take it.. was when the current 80 was the 80A? And the old 80 followed the 82/7 link around? 

Quote from: Owen on September 27, 2023, 11:40:00 PMI wasn't aware of either of those at the time. This previous loop of the 80 I take it.. was when the current 80 was the 80A? And the old 80 followed the 82/7 link around?
Was a temporary rerouting at the time due to delays on Bath Row.
Buses went into the City via Broad Street, Great Charles Street Queensway on the 80/80A and 98/X64.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on September 27, 2023, 11:46:29 PMWas a temporary rerouting at the time due to delays on Bath Row.
Buses went into the City via Broad Street, Great Charles Street Queensway on the 80/80A and 98/X64.

I remember this diversion as it was the only time I've seen people consulted on one. A person come aboard a busy X64 with a clipboard and some flyers asking people to chose one option or the other. I opted for the Broad St diversion but I can't remember the other option. 
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Sh4318

Quote from: Owen on September 27, 2023, 11:03:42 PMI wonder if the 80 service could offer  a better connection into and around the city as so on...

Towards Birmingham;
•Ladywood middle way,
•St. Vincent St W,
•Lesson St,
•Great Tindal St,
•St. Vincent St,
•follow the 126 till Lyon queensway,
•Navigation St,
•Hill St,
•then normal line of route towards termini,
•then follow the other 8* services till Colmore Row

I'm this scenario we would loose;
- 3 stops on Ladywood/Islington row... middleway, otherwise covered by 8A
- 4 stops on bath row, otherwise covered by X21/22

And in essence we would gain;
- some new stops in Ladywood and hill St currently not serviced,
- An all around better connection around the city centre,
- links to more bus services

As a regular user of the route, it would be very useful if it could serve Carrs Lane/Dale End, in the same way that the 45/47 do
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

spacecowboy150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk