News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Platinum

Started by JoNi, October 09, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley 60171

Just to clarify , is it 6796-6802 that are ready to roll?

Steve3229vp

That's it then, it's now on the NX website that the 902, 904, 905 AND THE 914 will go platinum, so the 907 route loses out, I'm very bitter about this

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 07, 2016, 08:23:59 PM
That's it then, it's now on the NX website that the 902, 904, 905 AND THE 914 will go platinum, so the 907 route loses out, I'm very bitter about this

Whats there to be bitter about? The announcement says that it is the Sutton Lines routes that are being upgraded (ie those that go express via Aston Expressway and Erdington). The 907 might go to Sutton Coldfield, but it is not part of the same group.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Aren't most of the original PB to city routes getting  fairly new  buses anyway.

monkeyjoe

I'm just curious why routes like 900 957 and Sutton routes etc get new buses with rebrands etc and then get replaced by a new lot of couple of month laters with another lot of buses having to be rebranded and changed etc etc.

I'm just curious when routes like Bristol Rd and others for example don't get any attention. Just trying to understand the process and logic.

Why get new buses in the 900 for example with branding and keep changing when a new higher spec comes in, is that like 3 changes/reorg's in as many years or possibly less.

Michael Bevan

Just seen an image on Facebook of 6802 in the new silver Sutton branding with another one parked behind. The branding looks very similar to the Streetly branding.

MW

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 07, 2016, 08:41:20 PM
I'm just curious why routes like 900 957 and Sutton routes etc get new buses with rebrands etc and then get replaced by a new lot of couple of month laters with another lot of buses having to be rebranded and changed etc etc.

I'm just curious when routes like Bristol Rd and others for example don't get any attention. Just trying to understand the process and logic.

Why get new buses in the 900 for example with branding and keep changing when a new higher spec comes in, is that like 3 changes/reorg's in as many years or possibly less.

We know that the 60 is getting Platinums as well as extra buses on the 900.

From an engineering point of view, the new Platinums are obviously different (gearbox wise/start stop etc). The company can either split the remainder Platinums up, or send all of them to BC. Basically it's easier than having two different spec Platinums in one garage.

Also, PE already operate ZF boxed MMCs. AG also already operate MMCs.

It just seems to be from an operational point of view. The 900/957/960 I'd say are more high profile than the X10 and 966.

monkeyjoe

O I see, was just curious really.

g4jzfgraham

Having seen there are further orders for the Platinum's, I travelled recently on one of the new Platinum buses I am very surprised NX have continued to reorder. I thought they would be much better ordering more of the Green Hybrids.
I have two complaints about the Platinum's, one is sitting at the front upstairs the window demister is very noisy, but the most irritating thing of all is the stop starting of the diesel engine everytime it stops at a stop, it is so noise and annoying. The green Hybrids are much better. What do others think.

Graham Taylor, Willenhall, Wolverhampton 

PS, 6800 was seen at Heysham Docks this weekend

Tony

Quote from: g4jzfgraham on October 09, 2016, 11:21:34 AM
Having seen there are further orders for the Platinum's, I travelled recently on one of the new Platinum buses I am very surprised NX have continued to reorder. I thought they would be much better ordering more of the Green Hybrids.
I have two complaints about the Platinum's, one is sitting at the front upstairs the window demister is very noisy, but the most irritating thing of all is the stop starting of the diesel engine everytime it stops at a stop, it is so noise and annoying. The green Hybrids are much better. What do others think.

Graham Taylor, Willenhall, Wolverhampton 

PS, 6800 was seen at Heysham Docks this weekend

What, you mean those hybrids with the annoying stop start technology?

Mike K

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with stop start technology. My car has it and i don't even think about it now, it just works and the engine fires up in an instant when it needs to. Not been on a Platimum of any sort but on my local route the B5LHs have it and whilst it's not the same system as the Platinums, and doesn't kick in all the time, it works fine and certainly doesn't impact journey times.

Be interesting to hear a driver perspective on the new Platinums.

don

Quote from: Mike K on October 09, 2016, 12:31:09 PM
Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with stop start technology. My car has it and i don't even think about it now, it just works and the engine fires up in an instant when it needs to. Not been on a Platimum of any sort but on my local route the B5LHs have it and whilst it's not the same system as the Platinums, and doesn't kick in all the time, it works fine and certainly doesn't impact journey times.

Be interesting to hear a driver perspective on the new Platinums.

I agree - my car has it and also an automatic electronic handbrake and collision assist - all these gizmos take a short time to get used to but don't create delay at all and become second nature. From what I've seen of start/stop bus technology in use, it makes no difference to journey times but drivers probably take a day or two to get used to it. That is also shown by the Voith video posted by Walsall1955.

However I'm curious why ADL-built Platinum buses would have been at Heysham or in Eire.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

MW

Quote from: don on October 09, 2016, 02:46:58 PM
I agree - my car has it and also an automatic electronic handbrake and collision assist - all these gizmos take a short time to get used to but don't create delay at all and become second nature. From what I've seen of start/stop bus technology in use, it makes no difference to journey times but drivers probably take a day or two to get used to it. That is also shown by the Voith video posted by Walsall1955.

However I'm curious why ADL-built Platinum buses would have been at Heysham or in Eire.

With 2203/4 there's sometimes a second or two delay with the engine starting again. A lot of drivers don't actually engage the handbrake at stops where there is one or two people getting on or off. It doesn't affect running time though so not sure what the fuss with the 529 is all about.

Stu

Quote from: MW on October 09, 2016, 02:57:09 PM
It doesn't affect running time though so not sure what the fuss with the 529 is all about.

You'll probably find that the service is as unreliable as it was before the Platinums were introduced. However, many ill-informed passengers believe the buses "keep breaking down" due to the stop/start technology being unfamiliar to the average passenger, so its only now the reliability is being complained about now there is something to supposedly complain about. Just my opinion.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Alex

Quote from: Stu on October 09, 2016, 05:13:53 PM
You'll probably find that the service is as unreliable as it was before the Platinums were introduced. However, many ill-informed passengers believe the buses "keep breaking down" due to the stop/start technology being unfamiliar to the average passenger, so its only now the reliability is being complained about now there is something to supposedly complain about. Just my opinion.

Having lived on the route my whole life, and being kinda used to convoys of 2, and maybe 3s at peak, even i'll admit that it is a bit ridiculous when 3 turn up within the same 5 minutes, at 10 in the morning, despite there being no traffic...
And yeah, I know the 529 passes 3 major traffic points (Junction 10, Portobello Island & Neachells Lane Junction) which can cause delays, but on days when all of those are relatively clear, and still having 2 or 3 turn up together, it's a bit poor...
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk