News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Platinum

Started by JoNi, October 09, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

Nowadays I use my phone to take pictures which are then posted on this Web forum. By the time one of my photos was "faved" this morning my battery level was down to 75% and the 900 hadn't reached the Airport, so USB ports aren't only for my benefit. Forgot about Wi-fi because it wasn't advertised for all to see on board e.g. by using the next stop signs.

Trident 4194

@Solo1 were all drivers in a suit as the driver on one of your photos looks like he's not wearing a suit!!!!!

monkeyjoe

I personally think that they should bump up the fares on all these services, getting better services they should re claw investment back , like they used to on Timesavers and the areas left with considerably less investment can pay standard fares. At the end of the day more affluent areas in general are  benefiting and if NXWM are looking at driving people away from more expensive cars and trains, they will be used to paying higher transport costs.  Finally why should NXWM make a bit of extra margin.

Wait for the reaction........ lol

Ben

Quote from: monkeyjoe on May 25, 2015, 06:03:05 PM
I personally think that they should bump up the fares on all these services, getting better services they should re claw investment back , like they used to on Timesavers and the areas left with considerably less investment can pay standard fares. At the end of the day more affluent areas in general are  benefiting and if NXWM are looking at driving people away from more expensive cars and trains, they will be used to paying higher transport costs.  Finally why should NXWM make a bit of extra margin.

These vehicles will surely pay for themselves over their lifetime so why should the passenger pay more?

Stuharris 6360

and what happens if a non Platinum vehicle operates the service (which is bound to happen)
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

JoNi

If the concept is a "success" then presumably these buses can be cascaded to other routes and new buses bought for what are premium bus routes in the era of Sprint.

Chris2301

@Liverpool Street just an idea; do you think Platinum should be a sticky topic as they are now live?

Mike K

A good many of the areas along the 900/957 and 934/5/6, X51/997 would arguably not be described as 'affluent'. And besides, pretty much every service in the region that serves an affluent area will also serve less desirable areas. So I'm not sure that particular economic model of charging the wealthier people more for bus travel could ever work.

Do you then reduce fares each year as the buses become older?

Rob H

Here is some pics of the Platinums I got today

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114083385@N05/
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Stu

I travelled on both 6706 and 6707 today, and I don't think I've ever been this impressed with new buses as I was today.

Couple of observations of my own, which pretty much coincide with others so far:
None of the Platinum vehicles appeared to be tracking today, but the apps and the realtime screens were showing timetabled info, however both buses I caught were running several minutes late.
The next stop system on 6707 wasn't working; there was no audio, and the display was just scrolling 'Belgrade Theatre'.
It was working perfectly on 6706, and the audio announcements weren't nearly as annoying as I expected them to be. Phil Upton's voice appears to have been replaced with a more 'neutral' male voice. My one criticism is that the display should be higher, so it is above people's heads, then it becomes easier to see towards the rear.

The seats were quite comfortable, and I did notice a bit more legroom.

The driver of 6707 was fully suited up, but the driver on 6706 had removed his jacket (maybe he was too warm in it!).

The wi-fi was working, but be warned, as its free its not a secure connection, so be wary about doing personal stuff like online banking. Probably not a feature I'll use much, as I'm not one of those who has to constantly play with their phone! Likewise, the lack of power sockets is not an issue for me (charge your phone up before you set out!).

These buses are very smart, very striking, and even the little touches like the LED 'mood' lighting on the staircase just ooze quality. I'd be very happy if I lived on this route and had to catch these buses every day!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JoNi

Real time was definitely being sent from 6702 and 6704 this morning. The screens were not showing real time in Pool Meadow today despite correct departure times shown for Sunday services being operated. I went on three whose next stop information worked correctly.

Rob H

6702 (On-Board) -

6707 in Sheldon -
X1 Birmingham - Coventry

Trident 4609

I have uploaded my photos of the Platinums to flickr and thought i'd share:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/trident_4609/sets/72157653378757436/

Feel free to view (For anyone on flickr, feel free to fave and comment)

horsencart

Rob H

Here is my vid of 6705 -

Videos of 6701/6704/6707 will come after this weekend.
X1 Birmingham - Coventry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk